Binge watched tv shows

Stranger Things is excellent and a welcome distraction to yet another week of horrible news.

I need to figure out my Amazon Prime so I can watch Salamander and Trapped. @oldfort what type of shows are you looking for? Have you seen The Honourable Woman? I thought it was very good.

I liked Stranger Things, Billions, House of Cards, Mindhunterā€¦no Gilmore Girls type of shows. I like Mystery suspense kind of shows. My first binge watch was 24.

@oldfort have you checked out any of the Scandinavian/Icelandic noir that we were posting up thread? Unless they are filmed in Great Britain you will need to be OK with subtitles (though for some of the British stuff I still used subtitles, lol;)

@oldfort Have you watched The Fall? I donā€™t remember if you and I have talked about that or not. You might like it.

I enjoyed ā€œOccupiedā€, a Norwegian political thriller.
Itā€™s not very well known, but I thought it was very well actedā€“mostly subtitled.

Weā€™ve been catching up with Stranger Things. And we just finished the first season of Person of Interest - which we thought was pretty great.

The new season of Shameless started last Sunday! Iā€™m a fan and have been waiting for Season 8.

I havenā€™t watched The Fall yet.

Despite my plan to take some break from crime dramas, I had a long train ride and back scheduled, so downloaded the first episodes of Tracked (the Icelandic,) from Amazon Prime. Intriguing.

But I really do need to read back on this thread and find some ideas not about murder. (And maybe no more snow. Itā€™s especially hard to watch blizzards when our own weather has gotten bitter cold, lol.)

Iā€™m hooked on Stranger Things, but DH hates it.

We are giving ā€œThe Good Placeā€ (funny) and ā€œAlias Graceā€ (not funny) a try.

The A Word is back on for season 2.
If you missed Season 1 then binge to catch up.
The cast is excellent and show is a well scripted family drama.

@Ynotgo , loved Stranger Things until the last two episodes of the final season. It seemed to have an identity crisis at that point, becoming a pre-teen show.

Alias Grace was very good.

Can you download shows on netflix to your computer to watch on the road?

I enjoyed Michael Clayton.

^ Yes @Iglooo most Netflix shows and movies have that option, just a few donā€™t. Iā€™ve gotten through a lot of long plane rides without wifi that way.

Fwiw, too late to edit, but Iā€™m pretty sure I misspoke when I referred to the ā€œfinalā€ season of Stranger Things. I meant to say ā€œsecondā€ season.

I am pretty much a gaga Stranger Things fan ā€“ my kids would call me a ā€œstan,ā€ as I recently learned ā€“ although a little less so after the second season. (Except for the coda. Loved the coda.)

However, I had an interesting conversation about ST last week with one of my paralegals, who also loves it. You know the Bechdel Test?: (1) Is there more than one female character whose name you know? (2) Do the female characters talk to one another? (3) About something other than men? If Stranger Things passes that test on a season-by-season basis, itā€™s only by the narrowest of margins. In the first season, I think Nancy and Barb talk about school work once when they arenā€™t talking about Nancyā€™s love life, and thereā€™s a brief conversation between Joyce and Mikeā€™s mother, whose name I donā€™t remember but probably should. There are also bits of conversation between Joyce and Becky, a minor one-scene character, in the midst of an interview largely conducted by a man. In the second season, in one episode two girls talk extensively about their pasts and future, and there are brief conversations between a female character and her aunt in the same episode and one other.

What does it mean, though, that this show has four really vibrant, complex, charismatic female characters now, and after over 12 hours of narrative none of them has exchanged more than a word or two with any of the others? They are all completely oriented towards the men and boys in their lives.

For any documentary lovers here, ā€œHow to Command a Nuclear Submarineā€ is very interesting! Available on Amazon Prime right now.

Good question.

SPOILERS - donā€™t read if you plan to watch but havenā€™t yet ā€“

Though this season saw Elle mooning over Mike, it also saw significant interaction with her mom and aunt(?).

Max got ā€œmated offā€ as well though she is a super cool strong character. There really ought to be more between her and Elle, and maybe later there will beā€¦but how annoying that these two are pitted against each other is a love triangle :frowning:

@JHS The Bechdel Test is one of the many reasons I loved Orphan Black.