Binge watched tv shows

I love Orphan Black, too. In the first season, I thought it was highly ironic that one of the most woman-centric shows on television – certainly, at the time, the action/thriller show with the strongest female presence by about a mile – only employed one woman in a lead role, and five or six men! As time went on, though, they added and expanded some female characters who weren’t played by Tatiana Maslany.

But yes, one of the real pleasures of Orphan Black, is seeing a bunch of disparate women doing what women do – collaborating with one another to run large chunks of the world – without having their lives revolve completely around their romantic relationships or their children (yet acknowledging the importance of both).

@lookingforward Thanks for the Lava Field recommendation, never would have found it without this thread. At first it was disconcerting to see the actress who plays Elizabeth on Poldark as a sassy cop speaking Icelandic (which sounds like Klingon to me) but in general the acting was good. We couldn’t figure out how the main character’s son had died, was that mentioned? Perhaps one of the loose ends. Would love to watch Trapped now but it’s not on Netflix. Next up, The Fall…

Yes, like Klingon! I joked the only word I instinctively got was “Okay.”
Trapped is on Amazon Prime. It’s got a lot of snow (I don’t think that’s a spoiler,) but there’s more English, lol.

Our thanks are really to amom2girls, for The Lava Field.

We just started Doc Martin. What an enjoyable show. Light and quirky, and three generations are watching together.

I just started watching Godless. It is nice to see women in a non traditional western role.

^ DW didn’t want to watch Godless after we watched the trailer. I suggested we give it a try, based on reviews. We are very much enjoying it.

Just finished The Fall (with Gillian Anderson). I found it absolutely mesmerizing, although it’s very dark and totally unlike US shows. Don’t expect lots of action, shootings, self righteous pronouncements, special effects, etc. There’s a scene where the plot is: suspect runs into a park, police try to catch him - yet it’s very suspenseful. The police, overall, is professional and competent (except for the wiring of the suspect’s house, although the scene highlights the urgency and Stella’s quick thinking). If you liked Broadchurch, Forbrydelsen(? The original “Killing”), etc, it’s definitely a show to check out.

It’s more of a character study, like Broadchurch, with actors who command every scene they’re in. (Some people found GA’s character, Stella, icy, but I didn’t, considering it’s clear she’s professional and keeps feelings under wraps except for moments of empathy - I don’t expect real detectives emote about every aspect of the case they’re working on, nor treat their subordinates with hugs and smiles.)
Side note: I also liked that while she wears high heels at work, in the field she wears boots - I hate it how female detectives in some US shows run around after killers on their high heels.
First season is the police figuring out who the killer is, second season is catching him, third season is dealing with the aftermath and preparing for trial. The story takes place over the course of about 3 weeks in June-July 2012, in Belfast. (You get to enjoy both Gillian Anderson’s natural accent and lots of Irish accents).
Total, 17 episodes lasting about 1 hour each (one is 1h30), so relatively easy to binge watch in terms of time commitment.

I would consider it for older teens and up, not for under15’s, in part because it’s disturbing: the two main characters, a high-ranking police superintendant and a serial killer, are presented in parrallel throughout the first season. We thus see things through the eyes and mind of the serial killer (who also keeps detailed drawings of his fantasies and plans everything meticulously) and the film maker doesn’t shy away from how violent an assault feels, the surprise, the helplessness, it’s clearly on the victims’ side (there’s no gore and in terms of violence very different from what you see on American TV shows); just as disturbing is that the serial killer is, most of the time, a charming man, a dedicated professional, and a great father. For older teens it’d be a great show to watch together and talk about.

There are also useful sequences you can share with youngsters (11+): in 2.03 about consent (what to do and NOT do when somebody you like turns you down, with discussion of the latter in 2.06; also in 2.06 how a man can react to a partner who’s been assaulted. If you object to showing a same-sex kiss to tweens/younger teens you can easily show the “not to do+ explanation” part only as well as the “how to react with compassion and show empathy” part.)

@MYOS1634 , agree on the heels issue. In that last Jurassic Park, she ran for quite some time, escaped everything, and was still in heels. Smh.

Try Trapped. Icelandic, on Amazon Prime. Very layered, maybe the most of any Euro Noir I’ve seen. I’ve got 3 more episodes to go.

@MYOS1634 There have been several discussions of The Fall here over the past couple of years and I think that most of us enjoyed it tremendously! Glad that you liked it.

@JHS, RE: Stranger Things 2, What is coda?

so glad that people enjoyed The Lava Field! I just finished Trapped. Really enjoyed it. On to Mindhunter and really engrossed. Good suggestion. I’m out after this so I hope there are more suggestions;)

@alwaysamom: can you point me to where? I’d be really interested in seeing what others have written. I’ve ried to search but “the fall” brings up anything involving Fall 2018, older parents falling, etc.

@lookingforward: heading to amazonprime right now to look at “Trapped”. I think I started it a while back but never finished it (if it’s the one I’m thinking of: villagers trapped with killer in Iceland)

Thanks to those who recommended Stranger Things. I couldn’t get DH to watch it, but I really enjoyed it!

@BingeWatcher Given the musical meaning of “coda” I guess @JHS means the Snow Ball.

We are enjoying “The Good Place,” which is amusing.

I love the good place - a smart comedy. :slight_smile:
Moves fast, likes to turn clichés on their head.

duplicate post

I loved the Snowball dance. I really loved the look on Mike’s face when he saw El.

Yes! The Snow Ball was so sweet. Nancy dancing with Dustin was wonderful. Such a satisfying end to that season.

@MYOS1634 Use the small magnifying glass (mine’s at top and bottom left by the page count, just for this thread) and put in “fall.” That will bring up a bunch.

I liked The Fall up to the 3rd season. No more Jamie Dornan for me.

I just started The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It’s on Amazon Prime and is an Amy Sherman-Palladino show. I’m already hooked.

We started watching Godless and like it quite a bit. I’m not usually a fan of Westerns, but it’s very well done and has some strong female characters. It’s really interesting to see Michelle Dockery playing a frontierswoman after watching her as Mary on Downton Abbey. She’s really quite good!