Binge watched tv shows

I finally watched Broadchurch and did all three seasons while my kids were on winter break. I really loved it and I shared it with a friend who turns out had already watched it and recommended to me to watch Trapped on Amazon prime which is only one season. I loved that too. It takes place in Iceland and has English subtitles

I was watching season 3 just at #metoo was really hitting its stride. I found it incredibly compelling and timely (liked it the best of all the seasons, and am sad that they probably won’t be making more. :frowning:

Has there been a discussion of 3% on this thread? D2 and I consumed it last week and liked it quite a bit. A Brazilian show with dubbing that is on Netflix. Sort Hunger Games-ish (but they aren’t all killed when they wash out). Apparently there will be a Season 2, too.

@CALSmom if you enjoyed Trapped I would suggest The Lava Field, which is also set in Iceland.

Funny thing is, I cant remember what The Lava Field was about. Have been thinking about Trapped, which I liked, what with all this snow in the past 24 hours.

I watched both The Lava Field and Trapped. They are very, very similar, except Trapped is much better. What’s more, except for a few scenes The Lava Field inexplicably avoids including any sensational Icelandic landscapes, so that’s really unsatisfying. There’s another Icelandic police procedural series on Netflix, I think, called simply “Case.” That’s more satisfying, but Trapped is still the class of the field.

Started season 2 of Hinterland and liking it. Netflix.

I just watched (Harlan Coben’s) The Five on Netflix. It is a 10-part series and VERY binge-worthy. British crime drama about a group of friends reunited when a tragic event from their past resurfaces 20 or so years later. Quality acting.

Lol, BBC America is running a Sean Connery Bond marathon today. Goldfinger is on now, don’t think I’ve seen the whole since 1965.

Enjoyed “comedians in cars having coffee” jerry Seinfeld’s program.

@amom2girls thanks I’ll put that on my watchlist. I never thought I would find an Icelandic bearded man appealing until I watched Andri on Trapped, lol

I think the bearded men of Iceland are one of the country’s best features. :slight_smile:

We’ve started watching “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal” and enjoying it a lot. Amazon.

We are also really enjoying PBS “Victoria”.

@VaBluebird I am rewatching it too (right now) and love it even more the 2nd time around. Can’t wait for the new season

I’m watching The Mantis. Thank you to whoever recommended it upthread!

I had noticed the blurbs for “Lovesick” on Netflix, but had thought it sounded completely unappealing. The set-up is that a twentysomething man diagnosed with an STD must contact all of his former sex partners to tell them to get tested. What a lame high-concept sit-com premise, right?

Last night, my daughter, visiting with her fiance, suggested checking it out because a friend of hers had told her it was really a Four Weddings And A Funeral-style British rom-com. And . . . it is! Quite charming and reasonably stylish!

Most of each episode (at least the ones I have seen) consists of a flashback to the point in the central character’s romantic past where he got involved with a particular woman. Because the names on his list are in alphabetical order, the flashbacks jump around in time. The main character’s emotional history thus gets developed in a non-linear fashion, which is fun. (13 Reasons Why had some of that, and it was one of the best aspects of that series.) The show also has a bit of fun with the woman-of-the-week idea, because it is often not clear until the end of the episode which of several possibilities the key woman will turn out to be. Needless to say, the main character is a little clueless and has low self-esteem; he’s not at all good at sustaining relationships, or even recognizing that what he has are relationships.

There’s also a unifying story unfolding chronologically in the show’s present , which acquires depth as the characters’ backstories emerge. The main characters are all cute and appealing, if often terribly misguided.

Anyway, I was finding it very enjoyable. Plus . . . 22-minute episodes! “Seasons” last less than 3 hours! Can’t beat that. And the first episode has a brilliant wedding scene worthy of Four Weddings . . . I imagine others here would like it, too.

Thanks for the heads up…I’m going to start watching it today.

I did the first episode last night. Cute.

How have I never watched Black Mirror before? It’s excellent, intriguing and scary look into our future. Some of these things are already happening! It’s been around since 2014…probably someone upthread has already recommended it. I like that they’re stand alone episodes too.

When it was called “Scrotal Recall”, I was never tempted to watch it. Now that they changed the name to “Lovesick”, maybe I’ll give it a try.