Binghamton SOM vs. Rutgers Honors College

I am an NY resident and I am trying to make my final decision on enrollment - Binghamton or Rutgers. I got into the Rutgers honors college and received a 19 grand a year scholarship. Then there’s Binghamton, which I prefer in terms of campus and atmosphere, but I didn’t get directly into the School of Management. I did, however, get the direct transfer option, which is contingent on me getting at least a 3.5 my freshman year.

I’m confident that I can get the 3.5, given all of the resources available on campus, but is it worth the risk going to Binghamton? I feel that if, for whatever reason, I don’t get the 3.5, I can just transfer to another SUNY school and still keep all of my credits. I would qualify as a sophomore if I went to Binghamton, but not if I went to Rutgers.

It’s a very special opportunity at the Honors College @ Rutgers - New Brunswick campus ? or Newark campus? Which campus? 19K off instate tuition is amazing. Did Binghamton give you any money or would you be paying full OOS tuition?

Or, sorry - I see you are NY resident, that’s why you received a generous amount as an OOS resident of NJ. Now I understand. It’s extremely difficult for NJ residents to get money off from Rutgers. Now it makes sense as you are a NY resident. Do whatever makes most financial sense.

Instead of listing scholarship amount, can you list net costs at each ? Don’t subtract any loan.
Frankly, Rutgers Honors is MUCH better than Binghamton ‘regular’, especially since you didn’t get your major at Bing and 3.5 is a huge hurdle (doesn’t mean the same as in high school, it’s quite difficult to achieve in college, especially as a freshman.) you got into a very prestigious honors college at an excellent flagship university and you’re guaranteed your major. Rutgers wins hands down. However if Rutgers is not affordable for your parents -if it’d mean a loan on their part - then look at Binghamton .

Binghamton would be about $23,000 a year and Rutgers would about $27,000 or $28,000. But I can afford both. I wouldn’t have to take out any loans for either of them.

Rutgers would accept *some *, right ? Also, you want to check whether those credits are accepted to substitute for a specific class, or as general credit. And you really don’t want to graduate in three years, you want to make yourself as marketable as possiblewith internships, perhaps a study abroad experience with language fluency, or study away in another part of the country, picking up a minor that complements your major, etc.

Yes, Rutgers would definitely take a number of my credits. But I would actually be in college for 5 years to get my masters so I can sit for the CPA exam. In that case, I would probably have to go to a different school for my masters considering the scholarship is only for my undergraduate years. I guess that’s not really a problem, but it’s something to consider, I suppose.

I would definitely go with Rutgers. That $4-5k/year difference can be reduced by saving during summer/winter breaks (or even working during the semester) and Rutgers has a highly prestigious accounting program, which I’m assuming is what you want if you’re talking about the CPA exam. If Binghamton did not directly admit you into their SOM and you did get into RBS, go with Rutgers.

As for your master’s degree, you can try Binghamton after Rutgers or another SUNY like Albany, Buffalo, Geneseo, IT and I forget the rest that have ms accounting programs (Old Westbury?). Anyway, getting into Rutgers is pretty awesome. I Want to know though: is it New Brunswick or Newark? For accounting, it doesn’t really matter because RBS is the same on both campuses; same academics, professors for the most part, etc. Newark is also closer to NYC

Tuesday

Well, a week before I had to decide on a college, Binghamton admissions called and said that they had an open spot for their SOM and that I could have it, so I took it. Now there’s no 3.5 nonsense—I’m already in. Binghamton’s cheaper, I’d have more credits transfer, and I felt more comfortable there on campus than I did at Rutgers New Brunswick. Rutgers is still a great school, and their business building is off the wall, but I went with the other option.

Congrats @McGuire12 ! Best of luck.

Congrats!

Congratulations on getting into the SOM. My Son just graduated from Binghamton and we are actually NJ residents. He did not want to go to Rutgers at all. He is an Accounting Major and is returning to Binghamton in the fall for his Masters. He loves the school. I hope you do too!!