Binghamton University Class of 2021 Decisions

Are people still getting accepted to Harpur?

I submitted my app on 12/23 but still haven’t heard back yet. I applied to Harpur as undecided.

I have been emailing my admissions counselor with updates every so often of what I’ve accomplished during the wait for the verdict. He told me today that “During this time, your application will remain complete, and we will not need any additional information from you”. Guess they are tired of hearing from me =))

Any EA deferrals hear anything yet? S’s portal says he will hear “no later than April 1.” I hope that doesn’t mean he has to wait until April 1. He’d like to move on.

I applied EA 10/13 and was last updated on 1/6. My portal just says under consideration. There isn’t even a date.

@STEM2017 your son will get an email when his status will change!!

@NASA2014 Thanks. He got his first status change email (deferral) on January 9. Nothing since.

So since he was deferred, he’ll be hearing back with everyone who was applying as a regular decision candidate! So between march or April 1st he should hear back!

I’ll say it… The SUNY Bing acceptance process is a bit ridiculous. Once all is said and done, I will let them know my thoughts directly.

Has anyone gotten any merit award from Binghamton yet?

EA with deferral here too and nothing!

Why is the process ridiculous?

Because Binghamton told people they will hear by April 1 and they are letting people know before April 1?

If you said - it is a shame so many applicants won’t hear until just before deadline, I would have zero issue with that.

My educated guess is they got way more applications than they expected, which caused the resultant delay and will lead to the rejection of many qualified applicants. Just a guess. Been guessing that for months due to the deferral decisions.

What is ridiculous? Please share.

They usually get more than 33,000 applications. It is a long process.

Exactly. They got 33,000 last year. I am thinking 34-35k this year. Binghamton is 23k in-state. It is 40k OOS. Supply and demand. Pure and simple. Only so many spots. Applicants going up due to silly private school costs. This leads to longer waits for decisions while Bing sees how many are accepting their offers. Nothing mysterious about it. Frustrating? Yes. Sure. Ridiculous? No. It is to be expected. Binghamton wants to offer admission to the qualified students, but cannot overextend itself.

I got my decision on March 7, 2017. As you know I was rejected. Calm down, it’s not like Binghamton is the only school that has a ridiculous process of admissions.

Explain why ridiculous. Please. Thanks!

People get frustrated @itsajoke. They want their answers and it’s a tense time in the admissions season.

I was there. You talked me off the ledge. Thank you.

Let it go.

It is a frustrating process. And tense. And anxiety-provoking. And more. I lived it last year with my son.

I just wonder (not take issue with - wonder) why people think it is ridiculous. If someone explains, I may agree. I could easily let it go. Doesn’t affect me. I am just curious, so I ask.

Right now, it just seems as though Binghamton is taking longer than in prior years. And we can try to infer why. When the final application numbers come out, I will report them - for what they are worth. :wink:

Just got in to Harpur!!

I just got accepted by Binghamton!!!