Binghamton University's construction, over-enrollment and busting at the seams-history?

Binghamton University’s construction, over-enrollment and busting at the seams should be history. Building was delayed for years while the school increased student enrollment in anticipation of growth. They apparently either didn’t retain faculty and staff or couldn’t hire so there were all kinds of shortages. There were long lines for advising, closed classes and all kinds of glitches. Well all that should be history too. If you are a current student, how are things now that the decade of construction is over?

Also if you are a current student, how do the new buildings look? Which is best? They looked like they’d be good once finished. Are the new classrooms filled with state of the art equipment? Was it worth putting up with the construction for a decade. New students will benefit and won’t have to put up with the construction! I’m sure it makes a big difference to be done with construction…

come on current students, this is an opportunity to tell perspective students about how the campus is now with the new buildings, classrooms and new staff! Was it worth living with construction and being closed out of classes to have everything now in place for you? How is everything now?

Sure, I’ll chime in. I think the construction was worth it. I lived with it for three years and it was never a hassle for me. I’m not sure what big difference you think there will be without construction… I think the only way it affected my life was not having a shortcut through the peace quad and having to go around the student union instead. The food court was out of commission for a little bit but there were multiple other dining halls in use so it wasn’t a big issue. I think the new marketplace is great. The whole new area they were working on by the peace quad looks amazing, I was really impressed with it. Old O’Connor/Johnson also looks incredible and I’m excited about the progress on SW.

Actually Rebecca, I was hoping to hear from students who are now in the new buildings. Hoping that they will discuss the new changes that came with the expansion. As you may recall, there were all kinds of shortages on campus. You did not feel those were problems but some did. There was a room shortage and shortage of classes which meant students were shut out. Students waiting weeks for advising. Things like that.But now is the time the school can shine. All the hiring they did means an end to advising shortages. And the buildings that were under construction which you have seen have now been completed. I believe there were large allocations so that classrooms could be equipped with state of the art electronic equipment replacing the old systems and the poor audio. I was hoping that current students would describe what it is like now that the changes are in place. I’m sure the market place and the dorms are good but I was interested in things like the classrooms and access to advising and the new systems that ensured students wouldn’t be closed out of classes. I’m sure the quiet from not having drilling going on all the time is also a plus. So if you are a current student, can you comment about what it is now like. Would be great to also hear from seniors who were there when it all started to compare to now.

Oh sorry. Well I have a few friends living in the new dorms who seem really really happy with them. My boyfriend was once put in a forced triple which I guess was kind of annoying at first but the dorm was beautiful and there was a lot of space in the room. There’s more and more great off-campus options for those who choose to go that route. I literally never once heard any noise from drilling and I lived right next to the construction, where’d you hear that was a problem? Most people I know who had to wait a while for advising were hoping to meet with Jill. As you said, “All the hiring they did means an end to advising shortages” so great, it sounds like the problem is solved. I’ll ask my friend who is a current senior what she thinks.

My hope was that current students would weigh in about their experience rather than former students who are speculating. I don’t know if the hiring means no shortages. And I am not asking about dorms or bedrooms or even food places. I’m asking about he primary role of the school-academics. Classrooms, lecture halls. What are they like? Advising. How smooth a process is it. Signing up for classes-are there new systems.

@lostaccount, I have to wonder why you care. You don’t seem to have much respect for the SUNY system and I get the impression that Binghamton is your least favorite of the lot. @Rebeccar is a recent student, so students and families on this and other threads may be more interested in what she has to say than in your interpretation of whatever opinions you collect.

My impression is that the work was finished this summer. Rebecca, I’m sure you saw loads of construction! Now it is nice of you to speak for your friends. I hope others let us know about their own impressions-especially those who are on campus this semester. That would be terrific.I’m sure some can speak for themselves.

Lol yeah let’s hope!

@lostaccount , I agree with @austimshauri. It seems you bear a grudge against SUNY and Binghamton in particular. Your messages are often negative and have a pattern of having a real edge. In one you make a statement that you are just making opinions and then quote how Binghamton uses submitted SAT scores. I have no vested interest in this but feel a need to wonder, “What is the underlying issue?”

It would be great to hear what the campus is like now. For a while it was not uncommon for students to be closed out of classes and there was a shortage of classrooms and space across campus. Even scheduling a room for a student activity was difficult. There were delays in accessing advising. My impression was that the state would restrict the budget which back logged things like building construction and hiring. My understanding is that there was considerable lobbying for the allocation of more funds for SUNY.

Positive change rarely happens if problems are denied, especially if the problems impact negatively on students. Saying everything is great when resources are severely restricted is less apt to free up new resources. My impression is that lobbying for more resources was successful and so more funds were made available, and construction that had been delayed could proceed. If so, students will have fewer difficulties getting classes they need. I think it would be hard to deny that restriction of resources had impacted negatively on the school. Hopefully now the shortages have been addressed.

So tell use how things are now. Are the changes and improvements obvious? Are there now enough classes to enroll in and space to sit?