Biochemistry major? Advice much needed.

<p>So I am a junior....currently wanting to do biochemistry as my major in college. Yes, I am quite a planning freak, and I just want to take the perfect classes for college.</p>

<p>So right now I am in HL Bio, and AP Chem. But my main concern is, is it okay if I just take HL Bio and do Biochemistry or does it look better if I do HL Bio and HL Chem? Because I'm already doing AP Chem....just not the third year chemistry.</p>

<p>Please let me know! </p>

<p>AP Chemistry and HL Chemistry are equivalent and will get you the same credit at college so there is no need to do both. You’re fine. Just continue on doing HL biology (which is equivalent to AP Biology)</p>

<p>You probably will not get credit for any bio or chem classes at college if your major is Biochemistry. Daughter is an IB student looking to enter as a Biochem or Neuroscience major so we’ve scoured most of the credit/placement charts for alot of schools. You may get advanced placement depending on the school though.</p>

<p>Ohh really? I know I wouldn’t get credit, but I was just wondering if it’d look better. I thought AP Chem is a step below HL because HL is considered Chem 3 in my school and we cover a lot of organic chem.</p>

<p>@NEPatsGirl‌ what HLs did your daughter take?</p>

<p>Are you a diploma candidate? Why NOT HL chem, I would ask? Is your HL load already full? Is it even feasible to be having this discussion at the end of semester one of your junior year? What are the signup deadlines? (bureaucratic vs curricular, I am sure plenty of schools teach AP and IB in the same classroom)</p>

<p>@Highschoolnerd ~ by the way, love your name, my daughter also prides herself on being a nerd! Anyways lol, she takes HL Bio, HL Math2, HL Spanish, SL History, SL English/Lit, SL Business and IB TOK. She finished IB Latin last year as they pushed her a year/class forward as a freshman. She was the only student in her class last year haha.</p>

<p>@Alfonsia‌, well no I pick my schedule for senior year in January. I have 3 HLs and 3 SLs (I would be taking my third SL next year) but we are also to do 4 HLs and 2 SLs. And yes, I am currently in AP Chemistry, which is the exact same thing as the first year HL chem. I was just curious if doing the extra year of HL chem would make a difference to college’s preference.</p>

<p>@NEPatsGirl‌ hahah thank you! And wow your daughter seems very smart, especially moving ahead and taking more than the standard IB courses. I’m sure she’ll get into the college that she desires to. So I guess it isn’t necessary to take an extra chem? Because I’m not looking for credit…mainly to show I’m like very interested in chemistry and biology.</p>

<p>Daughters school doesn’t allow more than 3 HL courses. Trust me I tried. School policy (another one I don’t like).</p>

<p>@NEPatsGirl‌ oh my school does! Several of my friends are taking 4 HLs and 2 SLs :slight_smile: Every school’s IB is different.</p>

<p>Since the IB program lets you take a max of 4 Higher Level tests, we are allowed to take 4 HL classes. However, myself and maybe one other in the IB program at my school are in 5 HLs but we have to take the Standard Level exam for anyone class of our choosing (for me that would be Spanish). You’re fine with being in HL Biology and AP Chemistry for a biochem major, which is something I want to do as well. I took AP Chemistry last year and it gives you a good introductory course to college-level chemistry, just as IB Biology does for biology. No need to fret, I’m sure you’ll get in to the school you want with your current academic credentials granted you score well on your exams. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Honestly there is no point in doing higher level chemistry if you’re currently doing AP chemistry. Let me repeat what I previously said, they’re both EQUIVALENT in the eyes of colleges. I’d just take another subject that interests you instead of taking another chemistry class that is equivalent to the one that you’re currently doing. </p>