Biology/Chemistry/Microbiology programs

<p>My son will be a freshman this fall in the pre-med route. Can current students please give their assessments (positive and negative) of the biology, chemistry, and microbiology programs. Are the 100 and 200 level honors courses in the sciences much harder than the non honors courses?</p>

<p>@racquetdad - have you used the Search This Forum button?
Select ADVANCED SEARCH</p>

<p>Then, put in the following as KEYWORDS: biology chemistry</p>

<p>you can also try pre-med, or premed</p>

<p>You may get responses, but there’s lots of info already here, you just need to dig a bit</p>

<p>I love the biology program. Biology is the second biggest major at UM, so a lot of resources are dedicated to the department, and it’s quite competitive because there are a lot of weed-out/pre-med classes in the dept. A large portion of the students at UM end up taking biology courses, so the intro level courses can be quite big (~200 people).</p>

<p>However, they get smaller very quickly as you move up in to the upper level courses, because people leave the major, and people taking biology from outside of the department don’t go that high.</p>

<p>Also, for the honors program, I would say that usually the courses aren’t too much harder - the main advantage to them is that you have smaller class sizes. As a result, you end up learning more, and you also have to provide evidence that you have learned more. So I would say that that is the main way in which the classes can be considered to be too much harder.</p>

<p>PRISM courses, though, are supposedly much harder, though I’ve not taken one, so I’m not sure.</p>