Biology/Genetics Major Looking for Feedback on Schools

I understand too. It’s very exciting and the opportunities are incredible!

I guess my point was to not jump ahead, although I know it’s hard.

1 Like

You can’t jump ahead- none of us can predict the labor market!

Who knows if “Determinants of Social Health” is going to move out of theory and into practice, which means someone with a bio or genetics BS and a minor in sociology will be the hot ticket? Who knows if the hero of Covid (once it’s finally over) are going to be the math majors who built the regression which accurately predicted how the wave would dissipate? And who can predict if universal health insurance actually garners support (again) meaning that the poli sci majors who understand health care are going to be in hot demand to get legislation passed in a majority of states so they accept the federal funds?

We don’t know. One of my kids has a job using a technology which didn’t exist, at a company which didn’t exist, serving a market which didn’t exist on the date of college graduation. When the company went public, friends stopped asking “What exactly does the company do again?”

Interested in bio and genetics- FANTASTIC. Kick the tires, make sure it’s affordable, and sit back and enjoy the show!

4 Likes

There is certainly nothing wrong with a free education with plenty of opportunities! I would have been thrilled if my daughter chose the school that gave her a full tuition scholarship.

My point was that they sometimes/often change their minds, interests, etc. For me, as stressful as this was at the time, it was (and still is) exciting to watch.

1 Like

Thank you!

My daughter would be coming in with as many as 36 credits from AP/CLEP exams and 20 credits would overlap between Gen Ed and Biology major requirements. So lots of flexibility if she chose Alabama. She could take a minor (General Business is another 5 classes), and the STEM Path to MBA classes would satisfy her Honors College requirements. She would get a very “practical” education…heavy focus on sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, microbiology, genetics, behavioral psychology) and business (economics, accounting, finance, marketing, management courses for her minor) and project related experience via her STEM Path courses. Wouldn’t need to take more than 2 science classes per semester during her first year, to “ease” into college life.

So far Alabama is near the top of the list but she has gotten very good merit from almost all of the schools she was accepted into so far.

Alabama…Full tuition for 4 years, 1 year free housing, $1k stipend for 4 years

Miami OH…$25K (plus potential for more)
Binghamton…$13.5K
South Carolina…In state tuition (waiting on potentially more)
Georgia…$9.5k

Waiting on initial merit aid offers from:

Clemson
Indiana
Delaware

Haven’t yet heard from:

Lafayette
TCNJ
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Purdue
UMass
Florida State

3 Likes

She has nice merit from several schools. I think at this point it will come down to where she feels comfortable, the opportunities she likes best, etc. Congrats!

2 Likes

My son is looking to do this for the exact reasons as your daughter. I’m impressed with the program. Internship opportunities and travel opportunities are included. If he wanted to go in investment banking I would not go this route. However for someone considering medicine or medicine in business I think it’s an edge. Plus - with 1.5 hours that count towards honors there is not a lot of downside. He hasn’t had enough life experience to know if he loves business or will love medicine. It’s an excellent opportunity to explore both. My son NMF and the five years of tuition is excellent.

1 Like

My son decided not to do STEM to MBA and I’m glad. If he decided to, I would have supported it of course.

But I think having an MBA right after college eliminates the benefit of what comes with an MBA with work experience. It certainly would have for me - working for six years, understanding the world was a wise thing to do.

The median salary for STEM to MBA is $72K. That might include all their MBAs: Class of 2022 Placement Data for Traditional and STEM/Create Path MBA Program

If you have a top student, let’s look at - not even a top full time MBA but a solid one.

UGA is at $107,500 median. Their MBA is ranked 38th.

Arizona State is $107K average. Their MBA is ranked 29th.

Indiana, ranked #22, has a $136K average salary.

So to me - if you go STEM to MBA, you are basically an entry level employee and give up the the benefits of later schooling.

2 Likes

I’m personally a Kelley MBA so I get it. I generally agree. Again this is for someone considering Med school. If he decides to pursue a business path I would most definitely suggest he drop the program and concentrate on a path that leads to MBA after appreciable work experience. However for pre professionals who will spend many years in dental/medical/other science based graduate programs, the exposure to business with top professors and unique internship opportunities top is too good to pass up. The extra degree is gravy. Family members who are doctors all wishes they had more exposure to business in undergrad.
This is a unique offering at BAMA because it integrates the exposure into freshmen/sophomore semesters and counts as honors classes. For a kid like my son coming in with 40+ hrs this should be doable in 4 years. However if it begins to interfere with MCAT prep or if he decides on another route this program has flexibility in that the work done provides business exposure and counts as honors. For many engineers/other STEM majors this is worth exploring.

There are always general rules of thumb - go to a top MBA program after working 3-5 years. Maybe your employer will foot the bill. But there are also unique circumstances in every situation.

Given you need to apply by first semester of freshmen year it is worth applicants investigating. .

4 Likes

Many permutations here, so I will disagree with tsbna44.

Going “back” to get your MBA sacrifices 2 years of salary and potentially giving up your job. There is no guarantee you will get into a top business school either, which is where the value of the degree lies if you plan to get a meaningful career boost. Plus at some point you want to start a family and going to school at 27-30 will likely delay those plans. Top business schools cost $100k per year or more. So need to consider this. Wall Street, Big 4, and top consulting firm salaries really drive the avg comp at business schools. So if not looking to work there then I don’t see it as a great investment. Getting a job out of business school isn’t guaranteed either.

Going part time is an option but then your nights and weekends are shot. Employers will pay for it but there is no guarantee you will get any meaningful promotion or salary bump. It all depends on the employer.

I see nothing wrong with coming out of undergrad with a STEM BS and and MBA. You will have very marketable skills that many employers desire. You can progress within your first job, move upwards in your next job, and so on. After 10 years it won’t matter whether you got your MBA at age 22 or 30. Plus you will be done with school for the most part.

My daughter is interested in genetics counseling, which requires 2 more years of study in a specialized masters program. She may change her mind many times with respect to her career path. But she will have a lot of flexibility and a very broad skill set and knowledge base after 4 years studying STEM and business. She will learn about business and biology/chemistry/physics etc. She will learn how business works, how to analyze and solve problems, the “practical” world of work, etc. There is a lot of value in in this education…all for free!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

2 Likes

Undestood - but don’t forget, where you start salary wise often impacts your trajectory in the long run.

I’ve been at my company 8 years. I started high. I’m maxed out on the pay band. I make more then some people above me who started low and stayed for 20+ years and got their annual 2-3% raises.

Many things change in life and everyone’s situation is different - but I believe going by the averages, giving up that chance to pivot later can be a big hinderance.

1 Like

So is your daughter committed to UA? My son is 90% with BIO/Stem MBA path. He is still considering FSU and Clemson, but NMF, Honors at Bama with the flexibility is really sealing the deal for UA.

Wish your daughter well. I think it’s a fantastic opportunity.

1 Like

Yes, she is committed to UA!

Biology major, STEM Path to MBA.

She is doing Biology Boot Camp before regular classes start. It’s another great program at UA.

Hopes to live at Ridgecrest South in the Fall/Spring.

2 Likes

STEM Path average salaries are in the $70-80k range. 90% job fill rate. That’s pretty impressive for a 22 year old just starting out. A few years down the road you can get to the $100-125k range. From there it’s what you make of your opportunities. It may require a job change or two.

My daughter doesn’t want a business career at this point, but that may or may not change. The knowledge base and skill set provide a lot of flexibility. A biology major alone provides limited career paths without additional education. This is a differentiator in my view.

2 Likes

Kyddsds…We should connect outside of this forum. Always enjoy comparing notes and sharing views with someone in the same boat with an intellectually ambitious kid pursuing a similar path of study.

1 Like

I agree with you. Plus may require pursuing a masters. That’s what I love about this program. It provides optimal flexibility. It also appears an internship is required and the encourage study abroad. So the opportunities are there for the students who invest.

My son is not doing the early week, but is signing up for honors dorm and scheduled orientation in June. Again - best wishes!

But in what roles ? A business role or one related to the undergrad and passion ?

At this point, not sure about what job role she would have if pursuing a business career path. Optimally she wants to go into genetics counseling, which is not a business path but definitely employs problem solving/analytical skills, statistical analysis, and requires STEM related technical knowledge.

If she wanted to do something else (which happens frequently), the knowledge base and practical/team skills developed in the STEM Path program provide a lot of flexibility in terms of career paths to pursue. Certainly more flexibility than a biology degree on its own.

Sorry - my comment was related to the high salaries at 22. It may be from a business job but if they are doing something like your daughter wants, that salary may not transfer to a non business job.

I get it - my kid is 22 and if all goes well with avg profit sharing, he’ll be a lot $90k his first year from Bama engineering. I suppose worst case low 80s.

Which is nuts btw.

Part of the issue with high salaries is going to school later.

His friend interned in the summer. Was doing a masters in data analytics at ga tech.

Graduated December.

The intern company offered him less than he made going into grad school - he was an engineer from Boulder b4. He eventually got the grad school raise by going to a different company.

My daughter is currently interviewing for GC masters programs. There are approximately 2000 applicants nationally each year and half receive interviews. From that half, half match to a program their first cycle. Industry roles pay more, but many start out in a clinical role. It is hard to match to a program straight from undergrad, but some do. There are other types of genetics masters programs that also lead to industry jobs and are much less competitive.

I actually think it’s a good idea to have the MBA if she really wants GC. It will give her a backup plan in the event she does not match the first time (half of all applicants have to apply 2-3 times). She can save money and continue to improve her genetic counseling volunteering, advocacy work, CV, etc while working. GC masters programs value work experience, regardless of the career (there are lots of transferable skills). They are also costly (about $150,000) and most do not have scholarships (a few do).

Good luck and best wishes!

4 Likes

Thank you for that color!

I think there are only 55 accredited programs in the US and each takes/matches maybe 10 candidates per year so it’s definitely very competitive to gain entry. I estimate maybe a 5–10% acceptance rate…so not a sure thing.

My daughter will definitely try to fortify her candidacy via shadowing, internships, and volunteer work but I agree 100% with you in that an MBA provides a back up plan and significant flexibility if it takes her one or two cycles to get into a program. The BS in Biology and MBA will also strengthen her profile as someone with problem solving/analytical experience, a track record of collaboration with clients, working on teams, etc. I’m guessing few candidates have this profile when they are applying.

She may decide to go in a different direction career wise altogether, and the MBA coursework and projects will open up new doors in terms of networking, alternative career paths, etc.

It’s more valuable in the end for her to graduate with a BS in Biology AND and MBA vs just a biology degree.

Really want to express my thanks for your perspective, especially given your daughter’s experience in pursuit of the same career path.

3 Likes