Black Class of 2013 hs Thread

<p>yea I’m def going to apply to some outside scholarships. I need to explore every option really hahaha</p>

<p>Same.</p>

<p>I really wish I could still take advantage of Questbridge. :-&lt;/p>

<p>^ riiighhttt! I really wish I had heard about it earlier…le sigh. Hopefully I can get into Brown with a great fin aid package without it :/</p>

<p>My counselor was supposed to tell me about it. Too bad she’s incompetent. Haha. </p>

<p>Meh. Because I’m super poor, I can pretty much go to any Ivy free. Yay.</p>

<p>Probably going to apply to all of them. :smiley: </p>

<p>The problem is actually getting in. Near impossible. T_T</p>

<p>I hope you get in! One of my friends is going there. :-D</p>

<p>My school never heard of Questbridge I really wish I could become my school’s college counselor because I could do a SO MUCH better job</p>

<p>Awww. :’(</p>

<p>I wish all high-school counselors knew more.</p>

<p>alexissss- be careful about “being able to go to any ivy for free”. They all have different formulas and different size endowments. My aid package was vastly different from Brown than Harvard. Also, Cornell just brought back loans for families under $60k, indicating that they’re losing endowment money. Harvard has the most money and is the most lenient. That’s all you can count on.</p>

<p>^ how many ivies did you apply you to? I’m guessing Harvard gave you the best fin aid, but isn’t there some agreement among the ivies that say they’ll match the fin aid offer from another ivy?</p>

<p>@CPU
Thank you for the advice. </p>

<p>I’m also looking into a lot of scholarships. When I do not get into an Ivy, I’ll still probably be able to get into a good college and hopefully they’ll offer a nice financial aid package. I mean, I’ve been under the poverty level for a while, I should be able to get something. LOL The rest I’ll pay by working a job. Or two.
I don’t want loans. :’(</p>

<p>I applied to two. </p>

<p>I never heard of an official agreement but they do want to compete with each other. </p>

<p>But these schools have limited funds and can’t always match. And if they do, it’s likely ONLY for the first year (bait and switch). </p>

<p>alexissss, trust me, don’t bank on being poor to get you good FA. I hope you’re still going to consider affordable state schools (in your own state). Always have back up. You can always transfer after 2 years.</p>

<p>Alexiss,
Also keep in mind that many outside scholarships are for small amounts and are only for one year. It can be very difficult to get through school without any loans. Have you looked into questbridge?</p>

<p>I second what CPU said. Of the 8 schools I got into, I was only able to consider 2, Georgetown and Princeton, because of the insufficient fin. aid I from the other 6, which included UPenn and Brown. </p>

<p>If I learned anything from this process, it’s that schools often have very different definitions of “need.”</p>

<p>^I don’t mean to be pressing, but if you don’t mind, have people (like the one above) who have gone through the college process found that all that fuss was for nothing? Like, for AAs with good stats and nice ECs, did you find it surprising to get into most of the schools you were aiming for? Any advice for rising seniors? Thanks.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice.</p>

<p>I shall consider state schools then. Drexel sounds nice. :D</p>

<p>@prefect: I’m a post-grad. I missed my opportunity to join their program.</p>

<p>bigbusiness, my answer to your question is yes and no. Yes, because most of the schools I applied to were incredibly difficult to get into. So being accepted certainly came as a surprise. But no, because I know I worked incredibly… hard the past four years. And anyone, regardless of race, has a shot at any school, only if they tried their absolute hardest. </p>

<p>I’m not going to deny that being a minority helps in the admissions process, but it doesn’t make it any less stressful, in my experience.</p>

<p>alexissss- I meant cheaper state schools, like branches of a state U or a cc, both you could commute to (if possible). since you’re in a very tight (and unfortunate) position, you can’t ignore these options (not saying you are, but nobody has those options at the top of their list).</p>

<p>I second Kali’s response. But when I got into the top schools, I wasn’t “shocked”. It feels weird knowing I’ll be going to college with actors and kids who’ve found cures for cancer, but obviously Harvard (and the other schools) saw something in me that I already knew I had. Just because I (or anyone else) haven’t done anything “great” now at 17/18 years old, doesn’t mean we won’t become successful.</p>

<p>I feel the same way as you guys, Kali and CPU. I know I’ve worked hard going into my final year of high school, and expect things to work out, but it’s no doubt still a stressful experience. It’s also good to know that not everyone is as superhuman as the CC community makes themselves out to be, hahaha.</p>

<p>Bigbusiness-Have you considered applying to the diversity flyin trip for Amherst? I think the application is due in a few weeks. </p>

<p>I have heard of a version for U of Penn, however I think that is through guidance counselors only. My niece went last year and fell in love with school.</p>

<p>You have amazing stats and should do well.</p>

<p>Lacrossemom:
Yes, I have been meaning to apply for Amherst’s Divoh weekend, especially since I live in Massachusetts. Just have to get my essay finished up.</p>

<p>And yes, I’d love to attend something at UPenn, but as you said, I’m not sure if something is available.</p>

<p>Thanks for the encouragement! :)</p>

<p>I wonder what the profile of accepted black applicants to top 20 colleges are. Anyone have any good resources on that?</p>