Block Plan Essay: classic!

<p>Ah, the infamous block plan essay. I'm really psyched about what I have so far, but quick question: is time-travel an option?</p>

<p>I'm...not even kidding.</p>

<p>Hi Shifty,</p>

<p>I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt:</p>

<p>From my reading of the question, the point of this essay is mostly to show the adcom that you really do understand what the block plan is about. If you read their samples, they are basically promos for classes that make them sound like a lot of fun and show some understanding of the BP. My son did a very serious, week-by-week outline for his course with some detail about in-class learning and more detail about the fieldwork. I don't know what got him in, but I'm sure they knew he well understood the BP.</p>

<p>Are you planning time travel fieldwork, or are you actually just planning a discussion? There is so much cool science fiction on the topic and even some science saying that it is might be possible in an extremely limited kind of way. Are you doing this seriously, or are you using it to show your sense of humor? I have no idea if this is a good topic for you to use......but I would sure like to take the class!</p>

<p>Hope you get in!</p>

<p>BTW</p>

<p>Have you read "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" by J. Richard Gott? It's a serious consideration of the subject.</p>

<p>Thanks CanadianMom.</p>

<p>Sorry for the poor wording, but what I meant was, would it be ridiculous if I included time travel as part of the plan for the adventure itself? The whole thing I wrote, after all, is quite idealistic in general.</p>

<p>Although I will really have to add that book to my list. It sounds quite interesting.</p>

<p>Anyways, I appreciate the advice. That sounds like much of the approach I was going for so far, so I'm glad to know I really am on the right track!</p>

<p>I applied ED I last year and my block plan essay was very short. I wrote a description for the class as it might appear in the course catalogue. I did not go into detial about the day to day but did highlight things such as the capstone project that would be a part of the final. It was creative w/o being detailed.</p>

<p>My block plan essay was also pretty short. And it was actually fairly vague. It outlines the objectives of the course more than the schedule/individual projects. But I was accepted EA this year.</p>

<p>I'm an international student from a country where educational system is far different from the educational system of America. In high school we have a fixed timetable of 11 required subjects, and each day we know what we will learn and what books to bring. For example: Monday: Math, Math, Math, Chemistry, English -- Tuesday: History, Biology, English, Geology, etc. We are not free to choose courses and don't have the credit system, so I don't understand anything when I do some research about American students' collegiate calendar: trimester, semester, quarter, quarter hour, semester hour, credit hour, unit, course or instructional time. I don't even know why they count the academic calendar by week, when the number of days of learning in a week may vary because of holiday or break. I don't know what timetable of an American student looks like.</p>

<p>Therefore I have no clue about the Block Plan essay question of CC. I suppose that I will research about the American collegiate calendar when I am admitted somewhere, but right now I have to write the CC supplementary essay, and I'm unprepared for that. Can anyone explain the above concepts for me?</p>

<p>hi engstu, here are some references for you:
Colorado</a> College | Block Plan
discussions about pros and cons of the Block plan:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/487798-block-plan-experiences-pluses-minuses.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/487798-block-plan-experiences-pluses-minuses.html&lt;/a>
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/170121-block-plan.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/170121-block-plan.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>It sounds like you haven't known much about CC's block system. I highly recommend that you do some serious research, and fast, because the deadline is 2 days away. Like someone on this board already said, CC is not a place to apply to without some good understanding of the block plan. CC is very unique, and is not for everyone. People either really love or really hate it- it depends on your learning style. I personally like to study something and follow it until the end, so I think the block plan would fit me very well. If you, on the other hand, find sitting in the class for three consecutive hours every morning to study one course only for 3.5 weeks unbearable, maybe you need to look elsewhere.</p>