Boston University Admissions Fall 2022 Regular Decision

Hey guys! I was accepted to the College of General Studies and I’m generally not happy with this, especially considering they gave me VERY lackluster financial aid. I showed a lot of demonstrated interest in BU, and I feel like this was kind of a big F U. Especially considering I did the trustee and honors college applications, yet they gave me 0 incentive which would make me want to go.

I was wondering if it’s possible to switch my start term/switch out of CGS if I appeal?

No, that decision is final. No appeals.

1 Like

Is it possible to appeal guaranteed transfer?

Does every rejection letter have the invitation to apply for transfer “after two strong semesters?” I recognize that this is not the guaranteed transfer path, but it seems odd that this would be included in some but not all rejection letters.

Dual enrollment is the big trend now. Aren’t those classes easier than getting a 4 or 5 on an AP test?

No appeals.

DD applied ED1 Questrom business. Was deferred, now admitted to CGS.
OOS. 4.0 uw GPA. ACT 34. SAT 1380.

1 Like

Ours does. Encouraged to apply for transfer after two strong semesters at an accredited college or university… I was wondering the same. If everyone’s has the same verbiage.

Accepted to computing and data science
33 ACT
3.97 UW
7 APs & 4 dual enrollment
hundreds of volunteer hours

I am going to Boston College though

4 Likes

Seems that way. That must be their standard rejection letter.

My oldest is a freshman at Elon (School of Communications). She had a tough time deciding between Emerson and Elon, but ultimately decided that she wanted a campus school. Message me if you your daughter wants contact mine to get info about Elon.

1 Like

What is the acceptance rate looking like then? The accepted student video says 81,000 kids applied and 3,100 is the first year class that almost makes it a 3.8% acceptance rate, that cant be right?

I think they accept between 13,000-14,000, which would make the acceptance rate just over 17% this year

Strange- their website and other articles mentioned bu freshman class was about 3100- not several thousand ? Curious how they calculate the acceptance rates. Even last year it says they had 75k applicants for 3200 spots which is much lower than the 18% sited in some articles.

They are shooting for a class size of 3100. They accept many more than that because not everyone that is accepted actually enrolls. Therefore they might accept approximately 10,000 and estimate a yield of around 30%.
The yield is the big ??? If the yield is higher than expected than the class might be too large. If lower than expected than they go to the weight list. It’s very tricky for admissions, especially with the increase in applications and the uncertainty of their yield.

4 Likes

Last year BU was 900 students overenrolled with an 18% acceptance rate. So this year’s acceptance rate will likely by around 10-12%. BU cannot afford another over enrolment year.

1 Like

Does the overenrollment from last year also spell bad news for those looking to transfer (D21)?

My daughter is waitlisted, she didn’t see a guaranteed transfer option. Is that for the admitted kids?

No, it’s a completely different offer. Guaranteed transfer is basically a first year rejection with a guarantee of admittance for the following year. There are some schools (don’t know about BU) who will offer guaranteed transfer to some on the waiting list that don’t get in. Again, don’t know if BU does this for waitlisted students.

Thank you so much for your detailed response, appreciate it.