Bringing a Laptop

<p>Am I able to bring my own laptop? I plan on buying a cheap laptop over the summer and building on to it, seeing as it can save me hundreds, and its a fun little project to work on.</p>

<p>Will I be allowed to bring that, or do I need to buy one from the school</p>

<p>A short answer is yes you can buy or build your own PC> </p>

<p>Here is a link and Purdue’s explanation of use of computers in the dorm’s. Clikc on the computer section.</p>

<p>[University</a> Residences Guidelines](<a href=“404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences”>404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences)</p>

<p>Personal computers (PCs) may be used in your room. We recommend the use of a surge protector on your computer and peripherals. Computers may be used either in a stand-alone capacity or linked with the Purdue data network directly through a ResNet connection. Ethernet cables can be purchased at the main office in your residence. Instructions that will help you get online will be provided when you check into your residence. Those instructions are all most students need for successful installation.</p>

<p>Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP) has a help desk and employees who serve as Residential Computing Consultants (RCCs); they can help you get connected if you encounter problems. The RCCs will not physically install equipment on your computer, but they will aid in the software setup to get your computer connected. For more information, visit ResNet online or call the ResNet help Desk at (765) 494-2200. Information about wireless computing is available at [Purdue</a> Air Link](<a href=“http://www.itap.purdue.edu/airlink/]Purdue”>http://www.itap.purdue.edu/airlink/).</p>

<p>If you do not currently own a computer, you might consider waiting until after classes begin to purchase one. At that time, you may be better prepared to make decisions regarding the computer equipment and software you might need. You may purchase your computer in any manner and at any place you wish as Purdue does not have computer requirements. Purdue does not sell computers but does have agreements with vendors that you may find beneficial. Learn more about ITaP Shopping online. Also, visit ITaP’s vendor showcase in Stewart Center, G-65, to see the latest equipment from Acer, Apple, Dell, HP, IBM, and Toshiba. Computers are set up and ready to demo. Look, touch, and use the machines before you buy.</p>

<p>PCs linked with the Purdue data network are also available in your residence’s computer lab. Check at your main office for details on how to access the lab in your residence.</p>

<p>…
Another website
[Your</a> Computer & ResNet](<a href=“404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences”>404 Page Not Found | Purdue University Residences)</p>

<p>You can bring your own laptop or desktop to campus. Purdue doesn’t require you to have a specific laptop like some schools out there.</p>

<p>Ok, thank you guys. Figured I would just buy a $500 laptop and rev the living daylights out of it. haha.</p>

<p>On dell- Adding a 500 gb hard drive, $200+
Doing it yourself- <$100</p>

<p>I would rather make myself a decent desktop computer and buy a cheap netbook. Too bad I live in Washington State though.</p>

<p>Adding onto this (I wasn’t going to make a topic, but since it’s here), I’m trying to see if I should use my money to get a laptop or build a PC. So I guess what I’m asking is if current students really bring their laptops a lot of places and if you feel having a good laptop is really important or if building a better PC would make more sense. I’m a computer science major, by the way :)</p>

<p>you don’t necessarily need a really good computer as a CS major. basically, my view is if you wanna be a gamer, build your PC. If not, get a laptop for its mobility advantage.</p>

<p>I think the number of students bringing laptops around depends on their majors or the classes they are taking. Personally, I take my laptop to two classes since lectures are off PowerPoints that are posted on BlackBoard but the BB version doesn’t include some information that is shown in class. </p>

<p>My CS friends don’t bring their laptop to class, they tend to use the computers at the labs. One of them only has a laptop and the other only has a desktop. I think this decision depends on you. Are you willing to go to Lawson to program most of the time or do you want to be in your dorm room? </p>

<p>Personally, I think you would need a pretty good computer since the programs you will be using will be processing a lot… I feel most CS majors that have a desktop tend to build their own as well. I know two other people who were CS majors but changed to other majors and they both had awesome rigs their freshman year.</p>