BS Class of 2020 Thread

Actually, our experiece, and the advice of the registrar, was that many colleges DO discount (or almost ignore) freshman year grades. Our school deliberately encouraged the kids to really put themselves out there in that first year because it was low risk in that regard. This isn’t to say that it’s not important to master foundational material, develop good study skills, etc. But overall, colleges realize that the 9th grade kid isn’t the one they are admitting and that if a kid struggled getting to a higher level but then hit his/her lick, it’s probably not a worry.

As a parent, I wouldn’t sweat it (although I did at the time.) Many high achieving kids have never encountered a situation in school when they couldn’t breeze through, and learning how to deal with an academic challenge is a lesson in and of itself. It’s best that this happen sooner than later if it’s going to happen!

I was very happy when by the time our third child started at Exeter, they had instituted a pass/ fail first term. It would have been very helpful for our first 2 kids. It clearly gives new students a chance to learn the Harkness method and adjust to the school.

What I’m also finding (and others please do comment) that there is a control factor to the grading. For instance, the faculty know what they want the average or even median to be and base their grading on that. At DD’s school, they also publish the grades needed to fall into a certain quintile so you and your student will know where they stand. But, I it seems like it is from the prior academic year and based on final grades. Really just a guidepost and not an exact science as certain classes might be stronger than others. From what I can tell, last year’s freshman class range for the first quintile was from 93.xx to 91.xx.

“For instance, the faculty know what they want the average or even median to be and base their grading on that. At DD’s school, they also publish the grades needed to fall into a certain quintile so you and your student will know where they stand.”

That wasn’t my experience from my kids’ school but it certainly can vary from school to school. I didn’t feel my kids’ school was that transparent about the grading process.

We have found grading in BS is very harsh, for my kid who is good in math and find that maintaining that high grade is a lot of work, The problem sets in higher level classes are that much more harder, proofing your work is taken on a new different level than MS or LPS. Same is true for each subjects; but the good thing is you find many many kids pushing for themselves and growing together, best part is kids see other students doing similar classes and extra curricular activities other than just focusing on academics, this is a total new experience for our family as education system is so much focused on understanding and applying to solve problems rather than wrought memorization.

^^ Amen.

[-O< Praying that AppleKid is a good revisit day host tomorrow!!

@AppleNotFar Remind your son before he steps on campus that the school is much more than whoever his/her revisit host is. Most schools try to make a good match but the reality is they can’t do that in all cases nor are all high school freshman mature enough to be good hosts.

“That wasn’t my experience from my kids’ school but it certainly can vary from school to school. I didn’t feel my kids’ school was that transparent about the grading process.”

Agreed, especially about transparency!

@doschicos this is my fear–my kid was picked to be a host. Hopefully the guest will see beyond my kid! :smiley:

Haha. OK, I get you. I guess remind your kid how nice it was to have good hosts. Time to step up and return the favor. Honestly, as long as your kid is nice, inclusive, and talks, all is good. :slight_smile:

@AppleNotFar ,I am sure your kid will be a great host!

Our daughter will be a host for revisit day in a few weeks. Not worried at all about her match. Our son won’t be a host- which is probably a good thing.

^^ Same!!!

My daughter loves hosting on revisit day. Typically she is paired with another East Coast or even NYC girl. I’m sad not to see her in action this year, as her brother was waitlisted :frowning:

@GMC2918 – So sorry to hear that about your son! Hopefully, he has some other great options.

@AppleNotFar How did the hosting go?

Yes he does @itcannotbetrue so he doesn’t seem all that upset!

@carpoolingma I’d say it was a net positive. Kiddo admitted to feeling nervous at the start of the day but by the end felt a lot more comfortable and shared favorite things about being a student there.

I guess the proof in the pudding will be if DC signs up to do it again next year, but it sure would also be nice if the guest accepts the offer of admission ;:wink:

GoatKid will be a revisit host on Monday. Incidentally, April 3 is her best friend’s, her brother’s, and SPS founder’s birthday. (Not same person, ok?!) There will be more cake than anyone needs to eat.