BS/DO General Thread

This thread is not very representative of the BS/DO applicant pool, but if all the different threads are taken together, most people have SAT scores in the 1400s.

A 1500s SAT score is on the BS/MD spectrum (For example, Brown’s BS/MD program’s average SAT is 1510).

A 1400s SAT is more common/representative of BS/DO programs.

Also everyone that I have seen on college confidential programs, who applied to BS/DO programs with a 1500+ SAT score got into almost all of them.

(Rutgers BS/DO seems the be the exception as they occasionally reject 1500s. Rutgers BS/DO program seems to be most competitive BS/DO program due to its notoriety and its small program size).

Generally, I think BS/DO programs are seen by most combined med program applicants as “backups” for BS/MD programs.

Applicants who don’t get into BS/MD programs turn to BS/DO programs. This is why BS/DO programs are generally less competitive than BS/MD programs, and BS/DO stats are lower than BS/MD stats.

While the general consensus on this thread seems to be that BS/DO programs have gotten more competitive recently, I think this increase is temporary.

Due to COVID-19 and the Fauci Effect, medicine has gotten more competitive, and this also applies to combined med programs.

Within the next few years, the Fauci Effect should subside as people move past COVID-19/things return to normal, and the competitiveness of medicine and combined med programs should go down to pre-COVID-19 levels.

It should also be noted that almost everyone with 1500 SAT scores got into almost all the BS/DO programs they applied to.

With a 1500 SAT, you are very competitive for most BS/DO programs as well as some of the less selective BS/MD programs.

If you enter the NYIT BS/DO program, it is binding.

This means that if you apply out of the program to traditional MD, you will lose your seat.

While all BS/MD programs are competitive, some BS/MD programs also have more notoriety/have a larger applicant pool and have less seats which increases their selectiveness and competitiveness.

In threads about last years BS/DO programs (refer to KeepWorking’s chance me thread), a mid-1400s SAT makes most BS/DO programs target schools (ie you will have a decent chance of getting in).

I think one of the possible reasons for increased competition for LECOM EAP is that they interview virtually. If applicant knew they had to come to Medical School to interview, they may think twice before applying…

1 Like

I checked with admissions team it is non binding but you have to complete 4 yr degree

Just met someone accepted to LECOM EAP this year with 1270 SAT.

1 Like

I am hoping more people post their stats to help answer this question. But, it’s true that most people will not be on this thread or even looking at College Confidential.

I hope so too!

No I checked its non binding

1 Like

Thank You

Thanks for the update.

It was binding a few years ago, but they might have changed their policy.

Anyone here considering LECOM through USciences or TJU?

I know LECOM releases decisions in March. Do you think it makes a difference whether you apply in August or in February (as an example)? Does the timing matter at all?

im applying to rowansom through usciences

Anyone considering LECOM through st. Bonaventure

make sure you visit sbu before deciding. it is in a very rural area, far from anything. but at least unlike nyit it has a weekend campus life and dorms for students.

Yes very very rural area. We visited yesterday. That’s why debating…:pensive:

feel free to dm me to discuss.[quote=“Lakshmi_Padyala, post:319, topic:3517497, full:true”]
Yes very very rural area. We visited yesterday. That’s why debating…:pensive:
[/quote]

1 Like