BS/DO General Thread

Same

Do you think that a DO will limit your goals as a physician? I am deciding between a bs/do and going the general route

1 Like

I have spoken to several DO practicing doctors. It makes no difference and does not limit your goals of being a physician. Once can virtually to into any specialtyā€¦ some super specialties may be difficult. Hope it helps

1 Like

These are the things that you will need to decide for yourself.

1. Medical school admissions is getting more competitive. With the pandemic (Fauci-effect), Iā€™ve read that applications increased about 20%. As an ORM, will it be easier or harder to get into med school in 4 years? And it will it harder or easier (in general) to get into a DO program in 4 years?

2. If you take the BS DO now, maintain all the requirements (and try to exceed them), take the MCAT (try to excel in that), then it gives you the ability to apply to an MD program later if you wish. A bird in hand is better than two in the bush philosophy. (and I am aware that the UG are not the highest ranked schools for BS DO, but that may work to your advantage in helping keep your GPA up).
    The alternative is to go to an UG that a. either provides you a great scholarship or b. provides you the infrastructure you need to succeed as a pre-med or c. (in the best case), provides both a and b.

3. As a DO, you are physician. Youā€™ve made it to your goal. Iā€™m assuming youā€™re asking if it limits which residencies you could get. If that is the question, the answer is possibly, it can. Right now, in certain specialties and at certain programs, program directors prefer MDs. But, you can be a DO and enter every specialty. I personally know DOā€™s that are in nephrology, cardiology, infectious disease, psychiatry, & PM&R (and obviously, family medicine). The combining of the residency programs started just a couple of years ago - my bet is that in 6 or 7 years (when my son is applying to residency), the MD and DO distinction will be less limiting.

The decision is about what you want from your life - is the UG experience more important? Do you want more of ā€œguaranteeā€ that you will go to med school? Do you want to be a DO? Or alternatively, do you want to be an MD?

But regardless of the path you choose, remember to try to limit the amount of debt you incur for UG as much as possible. And pick a school where you have a reasonable chance of keeping up your GPA.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

6 Likes

Iā€™m not generally a fan of BS/DO or MS/MD programs. High school is way too early to make that kind of a decision. Only a small fraction of ā€œpremedā€ prospect freshmen actually decide medical school. College is a maturation process where you find hidden passions, and medical school is not for that vast majority of people in this world.

did anyone receive any update or interview from Rowan DO school

my DS was accepted into MSUā€™s OMSP program!

1 Like

Anyone just get an interview invite for PCOM thru Adelphi?

I just did!

1 Like

congrats!!!

Okay

I got an email from Adelphi on the interview for PCOM. Not sure if it is with PCOM or Adelphi. Will there be PCOM interview as well after interview with Adelphi?

1 Like

I think I have an interview w PCOM idk

1 Like

I am surprised to see that you applied so many DO Programs. Did you get any scholarship for NYIT UG?

we are thinking of going with this after admitted student tour we will make a decision

is it 8 year program?

This is one impressive list! Would you be comfortable to share the stats (GPA and SAT)?

Does Adelphi/PCOM have in-state preference?

Iā€™m just waiting on LECOM and then I will share my sonā€™s info. I know this doesnā€™t really help this yearā€™s group, but Iā€™m hoping that it might help future students applying to these programs.

1 Like

Has anyone interviewed w PCOM yet?