BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

@srk2017

Sorry, he missed the bonus points :wink:

I wish him the very best. Hope he gets his dream school!

@NoviceDad - Dream school changes as we gather more info and his interests evolve.

@srk2017 Congrats to your S and family. Do you mind sharing what MCAT materials your S used for his prep?

Anki flashcards, Examkracker, Khan Academy P/S 100 page doc and official practice material. S spent most of the prep time on CARS and P/S since he is a strong science student and his overall prep time is below average.

1 Like

Thanks @srk2017. Does he still plan to apply BU in the regular round? -:slight_smile: Best of luck to him for his application journey

Still debating whether to apply to BU or not. Need some safety and interview practice schools though :wink:

With 30 schools in the application list and assuming a conservative 1/3 success rate in getting interviews, how will your S manage school and travel schedule ?

Hi,
Anyone here who was or is in UAB, Alabama BS/MD program? Any information such as difficulty, MCAT requirement, %age of student that finally make it to medical school will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Haven’t thought about it yet. Apply early and hopefully get some interviews and few acceptances early so that he can start trimming the interview list. Good thing is he is somewhat in the middle of the country and seems to lot of flights added recently.

I gave him a premier credit card so that he will have access to lounges and he also has TSA Pre so hopefully he can save some time and relax. Hopefully he will have somewhat easier fall semester.

@srk2017
What do you think of the WARS (sdn wars calculator search) ?
Your son is surely in Level “S”.

Schools are grouped into 7 broad categories by basis of selectivity. The categories are as follows:

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA, NYU, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD, Cornell, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Baylor*, Mayo, Case Western, Emory

Category 3 (MID): UTSW, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UNC

Category 4 (LOW): USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - You should always apply to all of these if applying MD

Category 6 (LOW YIELD): Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush

Category 7 (DO): DO Schools

This wars score is then translated to one of 6 categories that applicants are grouped into, which are designated Levels S, A, B, C, D, E in decreasing score order. The score thresholds are as follows:
Level S: 85 → Apply in only Category 1, 2 and a few 3 and your state schools.
Level A: 80
Level B: 75
Level C: 68
Level D: 60
Level E: 0

@grtd2010 general consensus on that site suggests tool is reliable.

My only issue is experiences (research, clinical etc… )are subjective and GPA and MCAT have more weightage as expected. However I did use that last week to come up with my S’s score.

1 Like

USNWR new rankings are out and BU moved into 20s.

It is still in WARS low yield category for Level S. Is it in your S’s list ?

Not sure if this question should be asked in this forum…
Match List is important when making decision on which school to attend. I read somewhere that UMKC is not a good school comparing to SLU or others because the match list is not good. However, when I actually looked at the 2019 match list by number (not percentage because it is not available) for each specialty, the match list is very attractive for UMKC comparing to schools like SUNY Upstate, AMC, SLU. Am I missing something? I also heard that when evaluating students for match, evaluators value BS/MD students more than traditional path. Not sure if this is true and why?

@gradedu

No disrespect. Every year we continue to do over analysis. Look at the final choices you have and decide on factors which your child/family is comfortable.

Trying to decide the outcome 7-8 years from now is hard. From any college if the student is determined anything is possible. But students are in trans-formative years of their life and need to continue their focus and determination.

Certainly the student has to continue to work hard. There is always a trade off. If you choose top colleges Cornell, Princeton etc we complain it is hard to get GPA and get MD admission. If we join low ranked schools, SLU or UMKC or Upstate we complain it is hard to get good match list.

Here is the year each of the school you have mentioned. Not validated but that is what Google search provides.
Upstate 1950
UMKC 1933
AMC 1839
SLU 1836

All these are established schools and all of them are MD degrees. If the student does well, can achieve. Student need to do well to complete UG, do well in pre-clinical, score well in Steps (though it is P/F), do extremely well in clinical rotations and do self evaluations in deciding the specialty and the school of choice. At times even take a gap year after completing MD to match a particular specialty.

It seems overboard to conclude that residency directors value or even know if someone has done a BS/MD.

All Temple PPHS interviews with LKSOM are complete for the current batch. Some were done via video conferencing. D has completed all the steps necessary except for the official AMCAS application.

Do you really think PDs have time to determine if a candidate came to medical school via BS/MD or regular route ? They have better things to do. How do you define whether a residency match list is attractive or ugly ? It is just pure gossip IMO.

@GoldenRock,
Thank you for your feedback.

Did you or your C get in UMKC ? Results are out.