BU vs Connecticut College vs CWRU vs Lehigh [journalism (BU) or government / political science]

I’ve been accepted to nine schools and my top choices are Boston University, Connecticut College, Case Western Reserve University, and Lehigh University.

Would love some advice or insight into these schools!!

Here are the specifics:

BU: -------- Journalism

• Accepted to COM for Journalism
  • It is my top choice but I’m not sure if it is worth the money?

Conn Coll: --------- Government

• Half tuition merit scholarship awarded - affordable

CWRU: ------------- Poli Sci

• Love it but it is so expensive

Lehigh: --------- Poli Sci

• Dean’s Scholarship - affordable

Journalism is not a high paying career except for the superstars, so I would agree that the more expensive options are not worth the money.

I’ve read too many reports of the toxic frat and alcohol environment at Lehigh to advise any young woman to go there. I’m sure that Lehigh boosters will come on and bash me, so I’ll just add that it’s only my 2 cents. But definitely check out this aspect of campus life and make up your own mind.

I absolutely love what they’ve done with the curriculum at Conn College. Their Connections program with its “integrative pathways” with the advising that goes with it will result. In 4 years of study that are uniquely you and in which your selections for courses complement each other in a way that creates a coherent whole. In addition, the location is underrated because the town has seen better days, but there are actually tons of things to do in the area.

All things considered, for me obviously, Conn College is the clear winner here - especially with the scholarship money thrown into the equation.

6 Likes

Congratulations on your wonderful acceptances.

First thing I’d do is eliminate the options that are not affordable. BU and CWRU are great but I would not go into debt to attend those schools over your other two top choices. So as I see it that leaves two outstanding but different options in Conn College and Lehigh. I know people who love both schools so you should focus on the environment in which you want to spend the next four years (ex. mid-size university v LAC, frats v no frats etc.). You can also look at the courses available for the majors at both school (most course catalogues are online) and maybe try to look at both school newspapers online to get a sense of campus life. If possible I’d try to revisit Conn College and Lehigh during accepted students day and hopefully one of the schools will feel like the right match. No right or wrong choice here – IMO two reasonable people could make different choices and both be very happy.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this

Ex journalism major here. Most don’t make it. If they do, it doesn’t pay well.

Today - you have podcasts and other things - and you see a lot of print go to broadcast - so there are other ways- but you need to be marketing savvy because a lot are selling content.

There is a reason most journalism schools make you get a double major or minor - because it’s not a “legit” major.

Go to a school like CC - make sure they have a college newspaper or radio or whatever your media fancy is - and work hard at that as an EC.

3 Likes

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

My son visited Conn Coll several times in connection with athletic recruiting – we really liked it! Conn Coll had not started giving merit money yet, so for our family, it had to come off the list. We liked the “enclosed” campus that was walkable and lovely, the strong fine arts programs, summer funding for unpaid internships, the Honor Code, and the blend of “types” of students. No greek life or football, as an historically women’s college. In terms of location, very nice to be on Amtrak for accessibility, and close to the coast.

We don’t know Lehigh, it’s certainly a good option for students interested in engineering or business in a smaller college setting, with D1 sports. But since neither those disciplines nor sports are a priority for the OP, I would take Conn Coll in a heart beat!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it

Do you mean to say that only Connecticut College and Lehigh are affordable?

If so, the choice should be between those two.