But maybe there's still a good deal of interest in Hispanic students?

<p>Dovetailing off of the NHRP thread, I do think schools are still interested in at least increasing applicants from Hispanic backgrounds. My son has lately been receiving a lot of mailers and emails-today was from Harvard-encouraging him to apply and sharing about the diversity and Hispanic organizations on campus. There might be less money out there but there still seems to be a lot of interest in diversifying campuses.</p>

<p>We have too … I can’t help but think it must be marketing dollars at work. I’m skeptical, at best…I don’t want DD’s hopes raised.</p>

<p>I’m currently a senior I’m HS with a 3.74 GPA and 32 ACT. I’m Hispanic btw. I’m pretty sure they just by the names of students who score above a certain score and send them email. Because my academic profile is by no way impressive.</p>

<p>I’d love to hear another explanation though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is the absolutely the point of these marketing mailings, to increase APPLICATIONS. Selective colleges have a relatively fixed number of admitted fr each year, so if they can increase the number of applicants, their acceptance rate decreases. Low acceptance rates are a positive factor in rankings such as US N&WR and they increase the cachet of being an exclusive institution. </p>

<p>Whether or not an increase in applicants is followed by an increase in ACCEPTANCES of Hispanic students is another question. Looking at the Common Data sets available for H:</p>

<h1>Hispanic fr matriculants/# total fr matriculants = % Hispanic in fr class.</h1>

<p>2006/7 128/1686 = 7.59%
2007/8 137/1668 = 8.21%
2008/9 111/1666 = 6.66%</p>

<p>These numbers don’t show a trend one way or the other. </p>

<p>Note, these are matriculating students, not the number of students that were accepted. There are definitely cross-admits to other top schools, although the last I heard, H gets about 65% of the cross-admits between HYPSM. What we don’t know is the number of Hispanic students who applied, the number of Hispanics accepted, and how they compare to the total number of candidates applying and accepted.</p>