BYOD - Dell Question

Yes, I know this issue has been discussed before but have a little different question. Thinking of buying a Dell just not the exact one recommended through BYOD but similarly spec’d. Has anyone done this and also purchased the extra Dell premium support? If so how did the premium support work for you? Can that support be used through the on-site campus support?

Looking to save a few dollars by buying a machine with similar specs and with a 4 year warranty.

@TXsker While there may be some on CC that have experience with what you are asking, but you might want to consider joining the FB group Aggie mom’s/Dad’s of current Aggie students, if you haven’t yet, and ask the question there. It is a very involved/active page with lots of experienced folks.

FWIW, my son got the Mac Pro with apple care. He has not needed to use the apple care, as he has not had any issue with the computer, except a broken screen, and apple care does not cover damage. Help Desk Central was very helpful in getting it repaired and their hours are great (24/7).

Here is a link that might be helpful. https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/help-desk

If you buy the insurance at some of the apartment buildings, the broken screens on computers are covered. Hmm, wonder how I know that?!! :wink:

For computer purchases, check best buy. They have college student discounts ( once you have your tamu.edu email you qualify) they are located a block from campus in college station. Very handy if there is an issue. They also price match too. There is an apple store on the campus too but not sure if they now do any servicing issues - they didn’t use to - so you had to travel to the nearest apple store which was near Houston.

^^^What @AGmomx2 says. Son got signed up for the college student discounts.
Yes, the apple store MACrRsoure at MSC will take your laptop in, but they take it to the Texas Ave. location for servicing and then bring it back to the MSC for pick up.

I bought the renters insurance after son’s mishap. :(( It was during finals and registration in November and unfortunately, there was a human error getting it repaired, with what should have been 4-5 business days turned into 11 working days. They knocked off all diagnosis fees and labor charge for repair. I only paid for the parts.