Cal Poly $2010.00 "Opportunity Fee"

Really just opening up the floor to discussion about this “fee”. I get the sentiment but feel it should be shared by all students rather than simply out of state students.

I just learned about this “fee” tonight and maybe missed another thread dedicated to the same but certainly interested in opinions or further takes on the subject.

I would like to say that I’m all for supporting students. But it sure hurts! and them giving (all of us OOS students?) the $1k scholarship is some kind of gesture to compensate the Opportunity Fee a little bit? We don’t know what to think of it yet.

@ichibanmama I’m not familiar with the $1k scholarship. Can you explain?

I think I agree with the bulk of the people that say “take the college that wants you.” In the end they are all pretty equal - it comes down to the student’s motivation. Cal Poly seems like a great institution but at the end of the day it is a value calculation. Certainly they want to get the best students…but the students (at least the smart ones) want to get the best value proposition.

8k (at the minimum) over 4 years to educate somebody else’s kid? Geez, you look at another school (in-state or out-of-state) without that requirement and go that direction. I do get some will pay it because they love the school but it seems nuts.

Would it make a difference if there wasn’t an $2010 Opportunity fee but the Non-resident tuition was $13,890? A fee is a fee is a fee. The total cost of attendance is what you should be using for evaluating schools. How the university itemizes it should not matter.

regarding the $1k scholarship, some students have received a renewable $1,000 Green and Gold scholarship, and I’m assuming this is for out of state students.

@cmg2024 the $1k scholarship is like @timell said, Cal Poly National Green and Gold scholarship. My daughter got the email notifying it on Monday (was in her junk mail and didn’t see it a few days!). We tried to look into what it is on their website, but couldn’t find any. I saw somewhere on this site that someone mentioned that it seems to be only for OS students.

Yes, fee is a fee. I get that! but it’s like “why starting this year?!?!” “why specifically say only charging OS students to support IS students?!?!”. It’s good that they have a plan and they are transparent about it. And I think even if my daughter got accepted at Berkley (last one she’s waiting) she’d choose Cal Poly or Purdue, because of the cost differences, and she KNOWS she will make the most out of it pretty much regardless of where she ends up at, she’s just that kind of kid.

@timell Certainly true it is the total cost. You figure at close to 44k a year the total cost is in the 175k range for an OOS student. That’s cheaper than Lori Laughlin pricing (add 500k). Schools know the supply/demand and are going to charge whatever makes the most sense. This $2000 handout probably passed the litmus test and they decided OOS students would eat it.

I get it but it does make Cal Poly a bit less attractive. Not that they need to care. At 31% acceptance rate they’ll just move to the next person on the waitlist. They have a good product and the demand is there.

Is the Opportunity Fee definite for next year (and going forward)? I see on their website they list the 2018-2019 costs as: $9,816 base tuition plus $11,880 for out of state tuition… so $21,696 total for out of state tuition. Is this $2,010 fee on top of that – so now out of state tuition will be $23,706? If I add in the estimated Room and Board of $13,794 per year it makes a total of $37,500 per year out of state. Ugh.

They figure you can afford it. Cal ploy has always used an alogrythimn to select the kids most likely to enroll based on zip code and and high school of attendance, thereby maximizing yield and artificially lowering acceptance rate. Now they’ve expanded the famous alogrythimn to target the pockets of OOS parents. I’m sure the admission director (who is also affiliated with college marketing consultancy firm) will be selling this formula at conferences.

It’s algorithm and I would be interested in what possible proof you have of that statement, which frankly verges on slander.

@Momneeds2no-Cal Poly is a state-funded school funded by California taxes.

Why would the taxpayers of California, who pay very high taxes (FOR YEARS), fund non-resident students, who don’t pay a dime of taxes to California?

California is always out of money and has limited funds for education.

If your child chooses to apply to a California public school, and then expects the state to fund a non-resident, then it’s on the child and their parents to pay those non-resident fees. There are other states, including the in-state options, whose costs may be less. The child does not need to attend CalPoly.

The proof is in the pudding. Look at the admitted students demographics v demographics from all applications. Is a known fact that cal poly slo is in conflict with cal state regents over admissions protocols. Pending litigation. Hence the reason for assessing additional fees to OSS students. As far as I’m concerned, no scholarships or extra consideration should be awarded OSS applicants.

She floats bizarre theories at this time EVERY YEAR, never with evidence, I believe because her student was denied. What Mariviglia is pitching is automation, something we’ve known about for a long time.

They could have avoided this controversy by raising OOS tuition. Most people understand that, a special fee just looks onerous.

@CU123, that’s absolutely how they should have done it. I get the intent, but how they did choose to do it is pretty bizarre. The only thing I can figure is that the CSU rules limit how they can distribute tuition monies.

I liked the web site to Maravilgia private consultancy firm, Educational Marketing Group, where he sells his yield management data driven crm algorythm. my posted deleted because links to private firms aren’t allowed. You can Google and look it up on your own. .

When this was originally floated last year I had some email conversations with the administration about this, and it did seem strange that a diversity grant would most probably decrease the diversity of OOS students. It seemed like they had already made their minds up no matter what feedback was returned. I know in our scenario (OOS East coast) had this been in place we would not have sent my son to CP as it was simpler no longer value for money compared to other offers he got from elsewhere. When fully enacted it puts CP in in the same price range as places like Georgia Tech and Purdue etc which are much better known both nationally and internationally. For some the money may not matter as much but the ROI for us just would not be there. Curious to see how it plays out over the next few years…