Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

Why does it seem like OOS decisions have slowed or stopped? Only 38 responses in the final status forum and only three today. What am I missing?

@bairsouth, They typically slow for weekends. That said, there were only 86 posted in the Final Status thread last year, total. Iā€™ve been managing it more this year. In a perfect world, weā€™d get rejected applicants posting too. They do tend to move on. Remember, most who apply are not on CC.

@JBSeattle, you should not assume that yet, but once in state decisions start posting, it becomes a long shot. If a student is waitlisted, there is more hope, but no word typically isnā€™t encouraging.

@bairsouth They want to focus their energy towards some in-state decisions, and it really depends on when they are processing decisions to be released. The most recent one was out of state for biological sciences at 12:59 p.m. Some schools spend all day and until just before midnight so they can get all the decisions out on a particular day. Cal Poly SLO gave themselves until April 1 and are willing to work to get it done. Some schools release decisions on weekends, and Cal Poly SLO is likely not afraid to resort to this to keep the process moving efficiently.

They received 65,000 applications. They can work on weekends if necessary and there are 5,400 avaliable spaces so from yesterday they would have to release a minimum of 200 per day to meet the deadline of April 1.
Note that not everyone is aware of this forum, and many people post on reddit and other sources, so we can expect that there are a lot more decisions released than posted on here.

@rockmom21 I went to SLO for a MS in Engineering and loved the school, town, weather, etc. Most students were very happy there. (I donā€™t say that about every school, because I got a BS at Drexel and hated it) I would recommend SLO in a heartbeat. Iā€™ve never been to Texas A&M, but I think SLO has a better location, weather, and near the ocean.

My D would also love to work at Disney, even if she was just selling soda. I interviewed for a co-op job with the Disney imagineers years ago, but didnā€™t get the job. I think they were looking for someone more spunky (like their characters) and not the typical nuts-and-bolts engineer. I remembered I decided NOT to wear a Disney tie to that interview, because I thought it would be too much, and I regretted that decision ever since. If she gets an interview at Disney, have her wear a Disney necklace (the mouse ears would be too much), and express her excitement for all things Disney.

Donā€™t worry that she didnā€™t like Cal, it is a grittier/ edgier place like Haight-Ashbury or Downtown Oakland. San Jose is more sterile like Irvine. SJSU is a good solid engineering school. San Jose like the Silicon Valley is very safe, although a bit more sterile and somewhat boring like an outdoor shopping mall (A lot of Google engineers commute daily from the lively and hipster San Francisco, to the more subdued parts of the Silicon Valley.)

If she wants to have a hand in designing the next technology for a Silicon Valley company, SLO would give her an edge over SJSU. However, SJSU is a great bang-for-the-buck, which will also get her a job with a Silicon Valley company, although it may be more of a supporting role.

great advice @Gregmacd , thank you! your experience and knowledge is very helpful!

Admitted Landscape Architecture OOS, 2/28/2019 around 1:30pm California time. 3.55W GPA, ACT: 31E, 33M, 28R, 31S. Portal posted first, followed by an email about four hours later. Good luck to all applicants!

Not sure where you are getting 5400. Poly admitted 16491 out of 54663 freshman applications. Of those 4398 enrolled.

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/Fall%202018%20Admissions%20InfoBrief2.pdf

I am a bit upset because I may have to wait until Monday now to hear and that kind of gets on my nerves because I have waited for a while to hear, but I guess it canā€™t be that bad.

@CTteacher, please post to the Final Status thread to help future applicants. Thanks!

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-2019-final-status-p3.html

So??? It is awfully quiet on this thread today. Perhaps no in state decisions? And no more out of state? Cal Poly is gonna drag this out, eh? Eckkkkk itā€™s going to be a long weekend.

What are chances for Bio if MCA is 4620

Had a friend that received an acceptance email in the wee hours of this morning, so theyā€™re definitely rolling out for in state students.

perhaps coming by major?

Question about MCA - did you calculate it on your own or do you find it somewhere on the portal?

I went back to this thread for when my daughter was accepted in 2017. I think OOS started rolling out around page 24/25. Very interesting how different this was compared to 2018. But very good idea of how they came out then. I wonder when the flood gates will open for us on this thread:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/1926331-cal-poly-regular-decision-thread-2016-2017-p25.html

this is quite frustratingā€¦ I dislike this whole waiting game!! just let me know already! Iā€™ve waited long enough!

@LisaCollege Here you go:
Here are the MCA calculation guidelines from @eyemgh so you can do the math.

The maximum GPA they will use is 4.2, even though you can have a higher calculated CP GPA. A 4.2 is worth 2250 MCA points. Thus, multiply your CP GPA by 535.7 and youā€™ll get your MCA points for GPA.

The next biggest thing is test scores. The odd thing, likely because they wanted it to total a nice round number, is that the max score is 1650, even though the max SAT score is 1600. Multiply the total of your best SAT CR and your best SAT math by 1.03125 to get your MCA test points. If you took the ACT, they convert and vice versa.

The third largest section is the class rigor score, worth 750 points. In this section you get zero points for meeting the minimum admission requirements and adders for more than the minimum. The bonuses in order of power are (min semesters/max total semesters/bonus per extra semester/total possible bonus): math 6/10/125/500 (note: stats and finite do not count), lab science 4/8/50/200, English 8/10/50/100, foreign language 4/8/25/100, visual performance 2/4/25/50, no bonus points for social sciences or electives. As with GPA, you can actually score higher than the maximum, but 750 is the most they will count.

Finally, work and ECs, worth 350 points. Work (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/20, 6-10/40, 11-15/60, 16-20/80, 21+/100, add 50 points if work is major related. ECs (hours per week/bonus): 0/0, 1-5/30, 6-10/60, 11-15/90, 16-20/120, 21+/150, add 60 points for leadership role.

are in state acceptances predicted for today?

@socalsnr I predicted. But it appears Iā€™ve failed!