Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

Waitlisted for Software Engineering
GPA 3.9(US)/4.25 (W)
ACT 33
MCA 4500 ish?

Not so encouraging with all the UC decisions looming!

waitlisted for CS
4.0/4.6
ACT 36
Also received a rejection from UW with this stat

What is your MCA?

The super high stats kids, with absolute ACT/SAT (36/1550+) are rejected and waitlisted VERY often at the schools that care about their matriculation rate. These schools simply do not want to admit someone who will not come to them anyway. This happened to two of my superscore sons, one in math, one in CS. They ended up in great places anyway (Cornell and UC Berkeley), but the number of schools rejecting them was an eye opener. Btw, UW was one of those who rejected one of my sons (the CS major). It is their loss though.

Hope you applied to many schools of the high caliber: probably one of them will take you! Good luck!

I cannot agree. My son has same very high scores and he was accepted in CS. Based on you logic he should be rejected or waitlisted

Waitlisted for Sociology
GPA 3.87
SAT 1230
In State

Thank you so much for the kind words. I will still HOPE for the upcoming schools

What I am saying is true statistically. Surely many colleges will accept kids like that. But many will reject, including the colleges where kids like this should be able to get in with no problem. For example, my SAT=1580, two subject SAT=800, 9 AP classes, 5 Dual Ennoblement classes, Comp Sci kid was accepted by Cornell. But he was rejected by all other Ivys, and MIT, and UC Berkeley, and UCLA, and even his own in-state flagship University of Virginia.

I observe many data points like that.

Thanks to all who chimed in on my question about 8th grade math. Just an update. My daughter is officially waitlisted for microbiology.

Does anyone know how much Cal Poly SLO and other CSU’s factor in scores from the CAASPP test (the test high schoolers in California are required to take)?

My son just received a notification of aid in the amount of $28,926 for 20-21, for the CS program. Does anyone know what this actually means? Is this a grant? A loan? A scholarship?

We are super excited, but he has offers from a number of other schools where he is more apt to accept.

He got three different loans, Parent Plus, subsidized and unsubsidized loans. I don’t think that loans are such big deal. The rate is pretty high. My son got COA from two different universities and regent scholarship from UCI (honor program CS), however we are still waiting for decision from UCB, UCLA, UCSD

@dpmkll: The CAASPP test is not a consideration for the Cal States or the UC’s.

i have not yet been waitlisted/accepted for cal poly computer engineering? is there still a chance that i’ll be accepted? my mca is 4771 btw

@domrocsmom: Your FA package should break out which are grants and which are loans. SLO does not give full rides so I am assuming probably all loans or a combination of Cal grant if eligible and loans (student and parent plus).

When reading my daughter’s submitted application, I noticed that the release for CAASPP scores listed the uses for the scores, and admission was one criteria listed.

@ltravis @dpdmkil: This is from an article about the CAASP test and why it shows up on the transcript.

Direct quote from the article

[quote]
Part of the CAASPP scores are used for placement into college-level English and math classes, but they are not used for the admission process whatsoever.”

What does it mean to be Academically Prepared in English?
If your CAASPP/EAP English status is “Level 4” then you have met the CSU requirement and are ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level written communication/English courses. You are ready to enroll in for-credit English courses at the CSU!

What does it mean to be Academically Prepared in Math?
If your CAASPP/EAP Math Status is "Level 4” then you have met the CSU requirement and are prepared for CSU or participating CCC college-level mathematics/quantitative reasoning courses. You can enroll in for-credit math courses at the CSU!

Son received waitlist notification for Kinesiology last night. In state, 1440 SAT, 4.5 wGPA, athlete… he’s very disappointed. Anyone know stats for how many historically get accepted from waitlist?

Very few decisions posted (here) for Biological Science.
Only 2 accepted, 3 wait listed.

Still pending for Biological Sciences, back up is kinesiology.