Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

waitlisted for Architecture
In-State
4.13 CSU GPA
1400 SAT
5’s on all APs

this experience has been so stressful but at least there’s a little hope since I wasn’t flat out rejected. Now I’ll have to wait it out again until June :neutral: Hopefully the people who don’t intend on attending Cal Poly will decline their acceptance asap in consideration for those on the waitlist who really want to attend.

Does anybody know in the past how many usually get on the waitlist, and how many get accepted off that list?

@casewagstaff: no waitlist numbers posted for 2019 admits but 2018 had 2536 admits from the waitlist. 2017 had 15 admits from the waitlist.

I am right there with you. Just got waitlisted for Architecture with just about the exact same stats as you. Best of luck, I know how stressful this all is.

my portal still says no determination has been made. i have lost all hope of getting in or even getting waitlisted at this point lol

Waitlist Arch
Approx 3.68 UW/ 3.85 W
In state

Waitlisted Mechanical Engineering
In state
3.85 10-12 gpa (UW)
4.57 (W)
1500 sat (770M)
number 1 choice SLATT**!!

Waitlisted Nutrition
In state
3.71 CSU GPA
1220 SAT

Deleted.

Has any one gotten their decision for arts and design major?

waitlisted for Architectural engineering
4.14 GPA
610 Reading
800 Math

@margo143 I’m sorry to say that it would appear that way.

https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/polyview/index

Can someone start a thread for waitlisted students and post the link here? Thanks

oh

I got waitlisted for Kinesiology with
Weighted GPA: 4.4
Unweighted GPA: 3.92
Act: 33
MCA: 4827
good luck…

? Thanks for the link, @JoJoLa. An eye opener to see the breakdown of ethnicities. But I respect the school’s decision. Will continue to pray that my son will attend the school that’s best fit for him. I think this waiting game is stressing me out more than him. Here’s to us parents who just want the best for their kids! ?

Gumbymom, you monitor many forums and we know you know a lot. Thank you.

I have a philosophical questions to ask. SLO is using MCA to admit applicants. No compositions, no rec letters. But we see from the results posted here that they clearly do not take the highest stats students, and not even the highest MCA students (which would take “local area”, “parents not graduating high school”, and other such things into account). Do you know what governs them when they build their class? No, it is not “holistic” - they do not have info for that. No, it is not stats/MCA - because kids with topped out GPA, SATs of 1550+ and all APs you can imagine, - are on the wait list at best, and not admitted, while kids with SAT 1200 are admitted.

No, I am not bitter: this school is the one I like a lot, but even as of right now, among the schools that already admitted my daughter, she wouldn’t have chosen SLO, even if they were to admit her (I tried to persuade her). [Btw, I am not sure of her admission result to SLO, didn’t ask lately, and with applications out to 24 schools, it’s hard to track.]

So, this is irrelevant to my personal interest in this case, but I am still very curious. I am sure it is very relevant to many many parents and students.

What’s going on? Is it it coin toss?

@ElenaParent:

There are many hidden factors involved in all college admissions even if they seem transparent.

These are my observations over the past 7 years.

1. College confidential is a self selecting population and skewed towards high performing students. It does not represent the actual admitted students for any of these schools. When SLO enrolls a class of over 5000 Freshman, they probably accept around 15,000 applicants. Looking at the posts on this website and others, there is no way that many students are posting their decision results.

2. You have to take the stats posted with a grain of salt. I have seen GPA’s of 4.57 or higher posted (impossible with the SLO GPA calculation) and then lower GPA’s with notations that this was the GPA calculated on the application (again a wrong GPA). Also, depending upon the MCA calculator, there are variations in this calculation. If you look at the Freshman profiles, several have average GPA’s over 4.2 which supposedly is the cap in the MCA calculation. Yes the MCA is still used, but probably modifications have been made since the calculation information was originally posted.

3. SLO got rid of Early Decision a few years ago to allow more diversity, so although First generation and local applicants are accounted for in the MCA calculation, I am sure additional points are given to higher performing students from Lower performing HS’s and from difficult SEAS situations.

4. SLO has a huge variation in acceptance rates by major based on the SLO projection table. You have CS around 5% to above 90% for Bioresource and Agricultural Engineering. Although SLO does not publish yield rates by major, you can get an idea of what kind of stats are needed to meet these thresholds.

Nothing is black and white but these observations are pretty much true for all schools. Each school is trying to build a diverse Freshman class and how they specifically go about is still not completely transparent to most.

Son was waitlisted for Mechanical Engineering.

MCA: 4420
SAT: 1450 (790 math)
GPA: 3.80 W, 3.68 UW
OOS

While there have been a few post reminding kids to decline their acceptance as soon as they know they won’t attend, the same runs true for those waitlisted. Several in-state kids will accept a spot on the waitlist while waiting on UC decisions. Please remember to drop out of the waitlist if you have a better offer elsewhere and have no intention of attending.

1 Like