Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

Just wanted to start a new thread for the class of 2024 hopefuls here. My dd just completed her application … best wishes and good luck everyone! We apparently have a long wait until late February/March when decisions start to roll out. :smile:

Dd just submitted today!

My son just submitted his application this evening. We visited the school a few weeks ago, and it’s currently tied for his top choice… Just have to wait & see where he gets accepted now. Glad to have the application process behind us!

Thanks in advance to Gumbymom, eyemgh and the MCA calc creator. Your information and comments have been very helpful and appreciated. Thank you! My student submitted recently.

Bus Admin
4487 MCA
In State, but not local

Good luck to all applicants and families. Regardless of decisions, remember - Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be.

1 Like

My son just saved his CSU application as a pdf file for review. However, on the top of every page, it prints “Cal State Apply 2021”. I think it’s a mistake of the CSU application system. It should say 2020, right? Did any of you notice this?

DS submitted! Hoping they can take this all!?

Does anyone know if Advanced Math 8 is an equivalent of a Math 1 course or Algebra 1 course. I hear SLO gives extra MCA points for more semesters in math and I am trying to maximize that opportunity as best as I can. Also if we did take Advanced Math 8 what do we put as the dropdown name for the course because there is no listed course for it.

@KristopoherG24: Advanced Math 8 is considered Pre-Algebra so it will not count for the extra bonus points.

What Math did you take in 9th grade?

Honors Math 2

@KristopherG24: What does Honors Math 2 translate into Algebra 2 or Integrated Math 2? What is the highest level you will reach by end of Senior year?

@KristopherG24: What does Honors Math 2 translate into Algebra 2 or Integrated Math 2? What is the highest level you will reach by end of Senior year?

You only list Middle school Math courses that are equivalent to Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2/Trig etc… or the Integrated Math series.

So i had Honors Math 2 (Algebra 2) in Fresh, Honors 3 (Alg 3) Soph, Advanced Math as a Junior, and now AP Stats as a Senior

Did you attend a California HS? If so, how are your school’s math courses listed on the UC a-g website? Also, perhaps the guidance counselor at your school could help with this. The math courses you list do not appear to follow the standard California progression, so I would think you need to have someone personally help you go over your application and math courses to make sure you are reporting them correctly.

@KristopherG24: If you took Algebra 2 Freshman year in HS, then I would assume Algebra1 and Geometry were completed in Middle school. I agree to check with your GC regarding your Math sequence.

@eyemgh and @Gumbymom and anyone else… My D is applying to SLO and is interested in Psychology or Child Development. Does anyone have insight as to which of these is less competitive? She has MCA of 4641 In-state CSU GPA 4.25 ACT 31. Trying to decide which to apply to.

My D filled out her application but hasn’t submitted it yet. She is waiting on her Nov. subject tests but didn’t see anywhere on the application where she can include them. We know they’re not required but can they still be submitted? If so, how?
Thanks!

@gratefulmama: Cal states do not consider SAT subject test scores in the admission decisions.

They can be used for placement for First-Year General Education (GE) Written Communication and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning Courses or to fulfill an a-g course not taken at the HS.

You can submit them through College Board like the regular SAT scores if you want the school to see them.

@Gumbymom, great to know. Thank you!

@EmptyNester20 - you could start here as far as projected apps and admits: https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2019-20%20Enrollment%20Projections%20for%20Continuing%20Students%20-%20no%20total%20error%20adj.pdf

Anyone else recently receive a marketing email from SLO in your spam or promotions folder?