Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

Sorry to hear about the waitlisting, but your daughter has great stats, just tell her that. College decisions a lot of times are not straightforward so don’t take it personally. And in this case, it’s not a rejection, but waitlisting. She still can get in CPSLO.

If CPSLO is one of her top choices, she should continue with the waitlist and wait for their reply. If I am correct, there are likely more CA schools she’s waiting to hear back from, and maybe by then she would have been admitted to another school she likes better.

Good luck!

I haven’t seen any evidence to prove the high stats students get denied. However, did you see the enrollment projections (I shared the link in an earlier post)? Bio Sciences is one of the most competitive majors. There were 4337 applications for 150 spots for first time freshmen. So even if they admit 3x that, you’re still at about a 10% admit rate for that major. It’s tough! Assuming as a bio major she also applied to UCD–fingers crossed for good news tomorrow!

thanks for the thank you for the reply- those admit stats are tough! And yes, she applied to UCD and UC SC is a good back-up I would think.

@2020CPMom I know someone who was waitlist for CP bio and accepted for UCD last year. Eventually she was accepted for CP. She had to reject UCD and lose all her deposits but she think it is worth it. So don’t give up, it can still happen…

Waitlist Numbers

Year: Offered/Waitlisted

2018-19: 2436/6643 (37%)

2017-18: 15/3168 (0%)

2016-17: 675/1011 (67%)

2015-16: 134/1888 (7%)

2014-15: 67/1598 (4%)

2013-14: 15/1603 (0%)

2012-13: 1064/2555 (42%)

@siclocusest it sounds as if you are a veteran of this whole process. Would you mind sharing what student loan companies are the best (rates and terms)?

Thank you for sharing that…numbers vary widely every year! Curious if the Coronavirus pandemic will increase or decrease waitlist offers esp considering international travel restrictions…thoughts?

I’m definitely not a veteran :smile: however Id like to suggest this site https://www.credible.com/student-loans?dd_pm=direct&dd_pm_cat=student_loan

This site can get rates for up to nine student lenders at once. This saves you time and potentially money as Credible does the shopping around for you.
I personally don’t think that loan is good choice. I prefer to pay with my money and avoid any interest (or in worst case scenario push my son to pay for himself, he is doing around 500-600 per week as freelancer).

Has there been any rejections to this school that we know of yet?? Or just acceptances and waitlists??

I have not heard of any denials. I would think that they would start sending them out in a few weeks.

Waitlisted here. Rejected from sdsu. Top two schools :frowning:

DS waitlisted, physics major. Denied SDSU.

Does anyone know how they let you know if you get moved off the waitlist? Do you have to keep checking the god forsaken portal til May 15? Or do they email you?

I guess I am really dumb, but what does “DS” mean?

I got into UC Davis today, Biological Sciences. Still no word for Cal Poly.

@JandTsDad Why would they wait so long to send them out?

@oceanlover16 congrats! My daughter was rejected from Davis- she’s heartbroken And nothing from CP yet either. :frowning:

@Meli1168 Thank you! I’m excited but SLO is my top choice so I feel your daughter’s heart ache! Sorry to hear that, it was weird to see a lot of my friends with similar stats as me get rejected from Davis as well. The way they admit people is really unique? Keep your hopes high, still more decisions to come. Good luck!!

Most Popular Meaning of DD
Most often, DD stands for “dear daughter” or “darling daughter,” a form of digital affection and identification used by a parent of the daughter in question.

Similar family acronyms include DS (dear son), LO (little one), DW (dear wife), and DH (dear husband).

Just received email I’ve been waitlisted for Biological Sciences. Seriously?
I’ve been accepted to Vanderbilt, plus Santa Clara, SMU and Northeastern with major merit scholarships. I don’t know if this is the Tufts Syndrome or CPSLO’s need for OOS tuition but it really underscores the unfairness of the process. I love CP so I’m happy to take my name off the WL to make room for someone else.