Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

My S got accepted to CP Pomona - CS - In-state. Waiting on SLO

My son just got accepted to Cal Poly Pomona this morning.

Can we please limit the posts of acceptances here on this thread to SLO.

We were at SLO this week and the Admissions person said that you need to check your portal for acceptance. Emails will be sent a few days later and nothing will be snail mailed. She said to start looking the first week of March.

New member but long-time lurker here – just wanted to say hi. Looks like decisions in previous years largely started coming out at the end of February/beginning of March, so I wouldn’t expect anything different this year. I think the waiting is worse for the parents than the students.

Daughter applied to SLO for CS at my request. She ended up applying to 11 schools. This one was by far the easiest application to complete.

@NoVaRat
Seems like a fellow Norther Virginia Parent here? Yours applied to 11 schools? Mine did 24, out of which 5 are CalStates, and 8 are UC-s. These days this stuff is crazy, when the kids with absolute scores are not getting accepted to “safe” colleges (like her brothers with SATs of almost 1600). It feels like if you have SAT just 1460 - you have to apply to so many, just to get in somewhere…

Hopefully she included her 8th grade math and foreign language (if needed). the CSU application can be tricky in that regard.

@momamet
<<hopefully she="" included="" her="" 8th="" grade="" math="" and="" foreign="" language="" (if="" needed).="" the="" csu="" application="" can="" be="" tricky="" in="" that="" regard.="">>

When you are replying without specifying who you are replying to, none of us has any idea what child you are talking about… :slight_smile:

Yes, we’re in Northern Virginia. Wow, 24 applications! There was no way that my daughter could have completed so many. 11 was a struggle. Too much schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and other extenuating circumstances for her to complete more than that. It ended up being a pretty good mix of reaches and matches, but probably too many safeties - although it seems impossible to tell nowadays, as you know. (She’s 4 for 4 so far, so I’m feeling pretty optimistic.) My daughter applied to three UCs (Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD) and SLO. Those are the only West Coast schools that she applied to.

I ended up ordering transcripts and score reports for five schools that my daughter later decided not to apply to, especially after hearing from one of her EA schools. I don’t really know how many schools her friends are applying to, but my guess is that 11 apps is toward the lower end (not counting those who got in to their top choice through ED/EA).

I’m going to assume this was directed to me. Yes, she included middle school math and foreign language classes on her app. I didn’t find that portion of the app to be particularly “tricky,” especially since those classes appear on my daughter’s high school transcript, but I guess I can see how that might be overlooked by some.

@NoVaRat - That’s good! Some miss the 8th grade math/foreign language part…two years ago the application was super “tricky” for the applicants (it was updated by CS a bit since then but this still gets missed). Good luck to your D. Sounds like she’ll have lots of great choices.

@momamet, applicants leave off middle school grades all the time. It’s because they don’t read the directions. It has always been clearly spelled out. The single year the CSU application changed and there wasn’t a clear way to include the extra information Cal Poly requires, they didn’t penalize applicants who left it off. Even then, many still got it right. So, not intending to cause a firestorm here, but super tricky is probably less appropriate than simply careless.

@eyemgh - Didn’t mean to offend anyone. My S (second year ME who included his 8th grade math during that vague one year) thought the application was a little confusing. That’s all I meant. “Tricky” was the right word in his case. I watched my daughter apply this year and still thought the application wasn’t the easiest one she completed. From an OOS perspective, the classes aren’t all the same and she had to do some referencing/clarifying when assigning A-G. Since CPSLO doesn’t take transcripts before admission decisions are made, this step is clearly important and seemed more tedious than other schools she applied to. Anyway, all good. No firestorm here. Enjoy your day.

One of my children applied for Fall 2017 and, although the application asked for junior high grades, it wasn’t as in your face as it is now. This year there were several places in the application, including right before you submit, where you acknowledge that you included applicable junior high math and LOTE grades. It is very obvious and should not be considered tricky.

This is a different issue and applies to both CSUs as well as UCs. OOS students often have difficulties figuring out A-G.

For future applicants reading this thread, SLO Admissions is one of the most helpful admissions departments I’ve encountered. If you are questioning how classes should be listed, call SLO admissions and ask. They will walk you through it.

@lkg4answers My point originally (to @NoVoRat) was simply that the CSU application is not as easy as it seems. Tricky was apparently the wrong word to use. My kids had to be very careful on the application (both years) and that’s all I meant.

1 Like

@momamet I understand and maybe it is more difficult for OOS students.

For future applicants:
https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria/high-school-course-requirements

@lkg4answers And the input of the dual credit classes also had to be carefully input. We may just be challenged over here in Nevada. ?(trying to be funny). Thanks for all the great info - We may have one more applying in 2021 so very helpful.

Nice to read everyone’s input. Self-reporting grades as an OOS applicant didn’t seem terribly onerous. My daughter had done it for other applications, like the UCs.

My comment about the application being easy to complete was primarily directed at the fact that there was no essay at all, along with no LORs, etc. It was far and away the shortest and easiest application that my daughter completed (even shorter than our local school, George Mason University), and it was for that reason that I asked her to apply. If SLO required an essay, she would not have applied.

As a side note, how SLO can credibly claim to have a holistic application process without submission of an essay, LORs, or any explanation of the particular extracurricular activities is beyond me. Stats seem to be everything. But I digress…

@NoVaRat, For better or worse, depending on your perspective , Cal Poly has never claimed to be holistic. Nor do any of the UCs with the exception of UCB and UCLA. Cal Poly is pretty clear what is important to them and that subjectivity, which essentially is what “holistic” is a code word for, isn’t part of their process.

Yes, I stand corrected. Of course, this is precisely why I thought the application was so easy for my daughter to complete. She put zero thought into it. Everything is simply distilled into a number to be scored.

I went back to the class of 2022 thread and OOS acceptances started rolling out on the evening of 2/28 and IS started on 3/1 that year. Not sure what happened last year, anyone know?