Cal Poly SLO Freshman Applicants for Fall 2020

I remember there being a thread from last year where people would post what department they applied to, their stats, and where they were from. There might already be a thread for this but if not here’s mine:
OOS

Architecture
Cal State GPA: 4.19
SAT: 1440

My MCA: around 4500 or 4600 (I’m not 100% sure)

Also when admissions roll out feel free to let me know if you got accepted or not.

Gap year student
3.95 GPA 4.5 Last 2 years of HS
1510 SAT (790 M , 720 R+W)
went to high school by cal poly
Applied to Environmental Earth and Soil Science

When do we find out about decisions? can’t find anything online.

@Snoopdoggydogg: SLO decisions come out end of February through early March. The usual order is OOS acceptances, in-state acceptances then a few weeks later the waitlisted applicants are notified and then finally the rejections.

I say “usual” since SLO used to keep to a pretty predictable timeline until recently.

Best of luck.

@Gumbymom Ahh!! Thank you so much!! One more question i have please. I have an MCA of 4893 is that strong for my major ( Environmental Earth and Soil Science)? I have seen some people say that the number is how they rank you for admission.

@Snoopdoggydogg: Yes your MCA is very competitive for Environmental Earth and Soil Science.

Best of luck.

@Gumbymom Thank you so much!! I appreciate your insight!!

Bus Admin
4487 MCA
In State

For my dd20:

Business - Accounting
MCA: 4779
In state, but not in local area

For my dgd:
Animal Science
4.2 gpa 1380 sat
MCA:4703
In state-SoCal

My son just saved his CSU application as a pdf file for review. However, on the top of every page, it prints “Cal State Apply 2021”. I think it’s a mistake of the CSU application system. It should say 2020, right? Did any of you notice this?

Following along! DS submitted!

@eyemgh and @Gumbymom and anyone else… My D is applying to SLO and is interested in Psychology or Child Development. Does anyone have insight as to which of these is less competitive? She has MCA of 4641 In-state CSU GPA 4.25 ACT 31. Trying to decide which to apply to.

@EmptyNester20: Since SLO does not breakout their admission stats by major, they do offer target projections for acceptance rates.

Child Development had around an 18% acceptance rate vs. Psychology at 6%. This does not necessarily mean the applicants have more competitive stats for Psychology but there were 6 times as many applicants for Psychology vs. Child Development which drops the acceptance rate.

My advice is have her apply to the major she can see herself pursuing for the next 4 years regardless of acceptance rates or competitiveness.

Thanks! Yes. I saw those stats too. She’s 50/50 for which major to choose. Can do either. I also saw the higher MCA for psych last year - 4700 and CD 4640!

Architectural Engineering Major
MCA: 4455
CSU GPA: 4.15
SAT: 1340 (640 R/W and 700 M)
Hispanic, In-State Applicant
High School ranked #23 in California (according to Niche)
EC: 11-15 hours/week (have held leadership positions)

How are my chances of acceptance? Thanks.

@ibufallo:

The School of Architecture’s 2019 average stats were as follows:
SLO CSU GPA: 4.03
SAT: 1373

Your stats are within range. Is your CSU GPA the SLO CSU GPA? SLO uses 9-11th grades in their calculation with a 8 semester Honors point cap.

Also Architectural Engineering had a projected 49% acceptance rate, so I think you have a good chance at SLO.

Your race/ethnicity is not a consideration in the CSU admission process.

Best of luck.

Animal Science Major, in-state (private school)
MCA: 4552
CSU GPA: 4.08
SAT: 1450 (780 R/W and 670 M)
ACT: 33 composite (36 E, 36 E, 32 M, 28 S)
EC: 16-20 hrs/week + have held leadership positions

What are my chances? Thanks!