Cal Poly SLO Transfer Thread for Fall 2021

I applied as a freshman two years ago (was rejected) and the portal was updated at least a day before I received any email notification, so my guess is that for transfers it will be the same

How would someone know if an evaluator did use gender in their evaluation? Whatā€™s legal and whatā€™s enforceable is vastly different.

I was talking to the head of engineering at my school today, and she said that last year CalPoly made decisions early and usually notify students towards the end of March. That said, Iā€™m hoping to get a yes answer this week!

I believe the CalPoly portal usually gets updated in the evening, and then an email is sent out the next day. Both CP Pomona and SJSU worked this way.

1 Like

In regard to the gender question, the gender of an applicant is probably just not disclosed to the evaluators at all. They just receive college course work, extracurriculars, special circumstances, jobs and test scores, and make their decision based on that. Actually my guess is that the evaluators donā€™t get any personal information when making their decisions for legal reasons. Like for example if you knew an evaluator and they saw your name on an application they would undoubtedly have bias when making their decision, which would be TOTALLY unfair. just my thought on the topic

@halea41 - I was accepted to Cal Poly as a Transfer at this time last year & I am older too. I screwed around during my 1st attempt at college from 18 y/o to 21 y/o.

During my round #1 at college, I got 11 Dā€™s & Fā€™s and 4 Cā€™s. Those are still on my transcripts today & will never go away. I used the 1-time Academic Renewal to remove the Dā€™s & Fā€™s from my GPA but passing grades are not eligible for Academic Renewal so I am stuck with those 4 Cā€™s.

During my round #2 after being out of college for years, I have straight-Aā€™s. But I donā€™t have a 4.0 because of what I did during round #1. Thatā€™s why I had a 3.73 GPA even though Iā€™ve had a 4.0 ever since Iā€™ve returned to college.

Yet, Cal Poly chose me ā€” so donā€™t count yourself out. They look at the whole picture & before I was accepted, the admissions officer told me they are admitting the student who I am today; Not the student who I used to be.

I was even selected as a Cal Poly Scholar for top incoming studentsā€¦ someone with 11 Dā€™s & Fā€™s in their past.

So, everybody else - Use my story to keep your head up.

9 Likes

Well, we also live in a country where we try to limit bias by using a bias. I have been at companies that have hired people who were not qualified to do the job they were hired to do because the number of minority applicants were limited and companies are required to hire some portion of people based on sex/race. When recruiters try and convince people to join the military, you may see that females get a lot of attention as they can be worth several men. A recruited doesnā€™t get paid based on the people they recruit, but if they do not recruit enough people, they will lose their job.

1 Like

This is pretty nice to hear. My path is similar to yours: I started CC after HS and didnā€™t care. I ended up getting like 2Ds and 3Fs, along with half a dozen Ws. However, I have since comeback through a run of 14 As in a row and have a 3.72. I also joined the Army, so Iā€™m getting points there for being a Reservist. Funnily enough, Iā€™m also a biz admin major, so my path is virtually identical to yours academically. I just have the military and my full time job on top of it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sad/irritated weā€™re probably just not gonna know tonight.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll come out tomorrow!

2 Likes

The waiting sucksā€¦ :sob:

4 Likes

ugh I feel the same!! Iā€™m just glad no one has heard back yet, weā€™re all waiting together lol

Iā€™m just going to wait for the notification email and resist refreshing this discussion. Trying to quickly parse the blue text on the decision page for any change from

No determination has been made at this time.

with your heart in your throat is no good.

1 Like

Yes thats so true! So glad I found college confidential lol

1 Like

Dude this is such a tease. Iā€™m so nervous!

1 Like

Is it a good idea to call the admissions department and ask them when they will start rolling the decisions out?

Thatā€™s an incredible story. Glad everything worked out for you, and then some.

1 Like

@mobties666 - No, donā€™t call Admissions. I did the same last year when I was in your spot & they would just repeat, ā€œDecisions will be out by April 1st.ā€

So you wonā€™t get any big reveals. Just refresh & go do something for the day so youā€™re not sitting at the computer.

1 Like

The wait is so nerve-racking :sleepy:

Something might come out today, I got one of those people soft redirection when I tried to get in last night, same as when the last batch came out. Itā€™s as if they set the system up for something to be finalized the next day.

UC Santa Cruz also starts notifying people tomorrow. Getting into crunch time. Almost glad I was an idiot in high school so I didnā€™t have to put up with this as a 17-yo.

4 Likes

I hope so!! Maybe mid day or late afternoon?