California State colleges

Cal State applications open on Oct 1st, Is it true that San jose state updates in 7-10 Business days that if the student got selected or not? Is it true for any other colleges in CA too?

SJSU will update the status on their applicant portal, but do not expect a yes or no within that timeframe. Our student did not hear about her acceptance to SJSU until early February. I believe that all of their majors were impacted for the incoming freshman from HS class of 2023.

If you are looking for CSU’s with the early acceptance, in our experience they were Humboldt (within 1 week), Sonoma (within 2 weeks) and Monterey Bay and SF State by January. San Jose and Cal Poly were the last of the ones she applied to, coming in Feb/March.

FWIW, if you are applying to CSU’s, I think it’s good idea to apply to those with early acceptances, as they can provide a lot of relief at a time when you’ll really need it!

Good luck!

1 Like

As stated by @islandmama1 , SJSU will not give you an admission decision until February. For several of the CSU’s, local applicants may hear sooner than non-local applicants. Also non-impacted campuses can give you an admission decision earlier than impacted campuses. In general, you should start hearing about your CSU admission decisions starting in February with some notable exceptions.

1 Like

Thank you, I misunderstood that if they change the status that means the application is accepted or denied.

Not a big surprise, since Humboldt, Sonoma, Monterey Bay, and San Francisco are non-impacted campuses with few impacted majors. So they can answer as quickly as they like to any applicant who meets minimum CSU requirements and is not applying to an impacted major.

See https://www.calstate.edu/attend/degrees-certificates-credentials/Pages/impacted-degrees.aspx to find which campuses are not impacted. Only the following campuses are listed as impacted for frosh, although non-impacted campuses may have some impacted majors:

• Fullerton
  • Long Beach
  • Los Angeles
  • Pomona
  • San Diego
  • San Jose
  • San Luis Obispo
1 Like

No, in fact, SJSU in particular has a whole series of status steps, it’s not just received/ under review/accepted - there are a bunch of updates prior to being accepted- but they email you every time the status is changed. Just don’t get too excited prior to February.

2 Likes

For us, for whatever reason, SFSU took by far the longest to reply - LONG after SJSU (not an impacted major). So who knows.

1 Like

Hello, I made a mistake in the CSU application. I entered the wrong years for summer between 10 and 11 grade also 9th grade year and graduate month. Will this mistake affect my chance of getting accepted?

No, you will not be rejected based on this error. Just email the CSU campuses with the correct information and keep the emails for documentation if there is an issue later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.