Calling all who have any experience with Hamilton College even those who almost attended!

Same! Hamilton was not on our original college list. We were in the area to visit Colgate and had no intention of seeing Hamilton. Even though she loved the open curriculum and creative writing program, D20 assumed it was “in the sticks” and didn’t even want to tour. Well, the Colgate visit was such a MAJOR disappointment, that I insisted we go to Hamilton since it was so close. She immediately fell in love and after two more visits, including an interview with a student admissions ambassador, it was one of her top two ED choices.

6 Likes

My D had the exact same experience; after visit to Colgate and Hamilton, D MUCH preferred Hamilton in terms of campus, area, vibe, etc. She actually felt that Colgate seemed more rural than Hamilton.

1 Like

@ProfSD thank you–that’s great to hear and glad she’s so happy.

2 Likes

Did anyone do the Hamilton Hello? Any insights into what the question might be? thx.

1 Like

did you do it?

my S23 is planning to do his this weekend (no more interviews available or he would have done that instead.)

Same here-- except tis was a side trip while visiting Syracuse. Still didn’t make this list due to remoteness and difficulty to access from CA. Then we decided to move to Massachusetts next year so Hamilton seems much more doable and he applied!

1 Like

Hi, I applied to Hamilton RD and did my interview with a current senior there, and in my opinion, didn’t go the best. The questions asked felt repeated and when I asked a few questions regarding the school it felt insincere. It also felt rushed as well. Will this affect my application? Should I be worried?

Hi! I was just accepted to Hamilton’s Jan program for the class of 2027 and am considering doing the London program. How did your daughter like it?

1 Like

nothing you can do now. My S23 had a similar interview at Dartmouth (he applied ED and was deferred). Maybe consider doing a Hamilton Hello?

Excerpts from outside sites offer additional perspectives on the village of Clinton:

3 Likes

The Great Names Series of speakers.

Why is that a negative?

2 Likes

This is a belated post as I had not done the deep dive to find this site in advance of my child applying to schools. Oops. But finding this thread interesting as he was double legacy to Bowdoin and was deferred and then denied. He got into Hamilton and ultimately could not be happier (after some reflection, of course). He found the campus and everyone there to be extremely friendly. We were so impressed with the student panel on the accepted student day. He especially loved that people of all interests are friends with each other and support each other, so there’s not as much of a breakdown between athletes and non athletes, for example. Also, the campus is stunning. So, while we are really let down but our Alma Mater as alums, we are so happy he can create a new path. And needless to say, any future donations will be going to Hamilton and not Bowdoin.

10 Likes

Congrats on a great choice. We live on the edge of campus and I walk there all the time, attend lectures and athletic events, and generally think it’s a special place.

5 Likes

In choosing its speakers, Hamilton seems to have expressed an affinity for personalities from the TV medium, rather than for perhaps more substantial potential candidates from, say, print journalism or original thinkers from academia. More consequentially, I’m not sure who might be interested in the Vulcans, who Hamilton has disproportionately represented. Nonetheless, the speaker series has not been without successes (even maybe from TV).

What are the Vulcans?

Which of these are TV based? Tina Fey, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Jon Stewart perhaps but plenty of world leaders and political/news figures too. I’m hoping the series continues soon. There are also plenty of other opportunities such as the Common Ground program. I’ve attended some and they’ve been compelling.

1 Like

From the list below - that’s pretty awesome. All of them. Great job by Hamilton.

1 Like

I appreciate your perspective. As on other topics, my opinion is open to revision.

1 Like