Caltech Up Close Invitation to Apply

Caltech is one of my dream schools and I got an invitation to apply to their Caltech Up Close event. Should I apply to it?

First, don’t have a dream school. We paint images in our minds that are almost never accurate. Instead, form a list of things you want out of a total college experience, and then find the schools that come closest to fitting your criteria.

All that said, if you’re interested in Caltech and you were invited to apply for the event, why wouldn’t you?

4 Likes

Is there any downside to applying? I mean, I’m not quite sure why you wouldn’t apply, but maybe I’m missing something.

do you know what it is?

Nope, I know nothing about it. But it’s hard to imagine any downside to applying to a program hosted by a school you’re very interested in - unless, of course, there is a significantly large application fee. Applying also isn’t a commitment to attend (if you are accepted). It just gives you the option.

its free for some reason

So again: what is the downside to applying? Maybe you get accepted, maybe you don’t. Maybe you decide to attend, maybe you don’t. But you don’t even get the chance if you don’t throw your hat into the ring and if it is something you are potentially interested in, why not give it a shot. What do you have to lose?

Up Close is CalTech’s fly-in event. Information is here: Fall Fly-in Program: Caltech Up Close | Undergraduate Admissions

If you meet the criteria, and are accepted, I can’t think there would be any downside to attending.

Fly-in events are offered by some (typically) highly selective colleges. They often target low income and/or other underrepresented students and are no cost to the participants. It is a competitive selection process. Good luck.

That’s fine, and quite normal. Many top schools have similar fly-in programs. They use these programs to attract highly desirable (typically under represented) students to their school.
There’s no harm in applying but there’s no guarantee you’ll get selected.
If you’re a member of a group (whether by race/ethnicity, gender, SES, etc) that is traditionally under represented in STEM, you’ll have a stronger chance of being selected.

(ETA: crossed with @Mwfan1921’s message)

1 Like

It’s free because it’s designed to attract students that have promise but might not have the means to attend.

Why are you asking the question? It seems like a pretty clearcut yes to me. It’s competitive so it’s likely based on their statistics that you won’t get in, but why not apply?

(Oops. Crossed with @Mwfan1921 and @DadOfJerseyGirl)

I am African American

Is there anyone that could help me apply to this?

What sort of help are you looking for? I would imagine this is something you should be able to manage yourself.

1 Like

Do you have a high school GC who can help?

What is your academic profile (GPA, test scores, senior year math class to start) Approximate family income? What state/metropolitan area do you live in? (asking so we can suggest orgs where you can get hands-on assistance)

Here are some resources to start:

Scholarmatch includes links to scholarships and other fly-in events. https://scholarmatch.org/students/resources/

Many free resources here: https://www.collegeessayguy.com/

applications asks what is highest math, physics, and chemistry course, will that have an impact?

Everything on your application will have an impact.

I’d hunt down a motivated guidance counselor if you don’t have any family members that can help.

Good luck!

1 Like

Absolutely. CalTech wants students who take the highest level STEM classes offered at their HS. Have you done that? What math class will you have senior year?

CalTech is a small school (250 students per class) and academically intense. Does that appeal to you, or seem like it’s a good fit?

ETA: It does seem like you have more research to do about CalTech. Start here: What We Look For | Undergraduate Admissions

1 Like

Caltech doesnt accept SAT/ACT or AP Scores right?

Like more intense than any other school on the planet intense

The Caltech Up close application asks for the highest math, physics, and chem course I would have taken. I put Complex Analysis, AP Physics: E & M, AP Chemistry. Are those good?

1 Like