Campus Life

I would love to hear feedback from students or parents with students at Point Park or students that have graduated from Point Park. When my D and I went for her audition it was winter break. This did not give a true feel for what it is like when classes are in session. I am encouraging my D to visit again when classes are in session. What is campus life like compared to a more traditional school? Any insight to pros and cons would be appreciated.

I’ve have been hesitant to answer this. My student is a junior and I was hoping someone with a fresher experience would post. Having said that, I have children who attended ‘tradional’ schools, so I’ll give it my best shot.

The most noticeable difference is the lack of the green quad as a gathering place. However Point Park with its acres of grass and river side location is a shot walk away…closer in fact than some dorms on large campuses are to their large green spaces. Fraternities and sororities are non existent. That can be a plus or minus depending on your preference. And there are no sporting events that bring all the students together…you’ll find alum heading to Broadway to cheer fellow alum and classmates, not in stadiums or bars. That said, like in every college, they ( my PPU’er included) choose friends with similar interests. And while Point Park is decidedly a local university, COPA attracts kids from everywhere. Most students take seven courses, some meet more than others, however all require ‘homework’. There is a lot of time spent…researching, writing, reading and memorizing. The work ethic is extremely strong, the students are smart and talented and the teachers have high expectations. All freshman take an 8am ballet class everyday. Because all the dorms almost sit on the dance space, you can be in class in no time and without having to go outside in the cold Pittsburgh winter. School days are long and all freshmen are required to work tech on one show each semester-so some days are very very long.

Specifically about COPA— most of my observations will change when the Playhouse is moved downtown. And that will be during the newest students’ years at PPU. For now and next year, downtown is pretty dull after office hours. However, the Strip and Theatre districts are all close by. The school offers free and discounted tickets to the professional venues and students use them. Upper class students can be found in these productions. For now, most of the social scene takes place in Oakland where the Playhouse and Pitt are located, the school runs a shuttle between the downtown campus daily and frequently. On weekends the shuttle also travels to Whole Foods and a few other box stores. Most upper classmen move out of the dorms with the majority of them renting in Oakland. There is always something happening there on the weekends from karaoke parties (yes, the rumor is true—COPA kids love to sing :)) to theme parties (they love dressing up!) to party parties. And while a few kids each year will over indulged, most kids frown on extreme behavior. Vocal health is important and getting messy drunk is a no no.

Each freshman is assigned a sister/brother from the senior class. And this is not in name only, they really do look out for them. The ‘big’ shares info on everything…classes, teachers, restaurants, auditions etc… They also watch out for and are there if their student is homesick or having trouble adjusting. For many, my student included, this relationship lasts long after the ‘big’ has graduated.

There are many student produced shows during the year—by film, directing and acting and musical theatre majors. Again, for some, freshman cannot audition. But they can work tech and these shows are all supported by all of the students. Everyone, including parents some faculty, attend. These shows are pretty awesome.

One cool thing is that the school hired accompanists are incredibly committed to helping the kids. On school days there is always one or two hanging out their room. All are agreeable to help with choosing cuts and working with kids on upcoming auditions. Best if all it’s free for the asking.

If your daughter chooses COPA, she will spend her next four years surrounded by an extremely talented and supportive group of friends. And while COPA kids tend to stick together, it is a large pool…BFA’s, BA’s, actors, MT’s, dancers, stage managers, film and tech majors all mix together. And while they are changing the admission policy this year, admitting BFA’s as opposed to auditioning sophomore year for the major, I am hopeful that the will be no hierarchy about the two degrees. A BA allows for finishing school in three years. For some kids this is an attractive option. I know of at least three BFA juniors who have opted to graduated this year with a BA. They are planning on using the tuition money they save on NYC housing and classes next year. The faculty is amazing in expertise and commitment to the students. They are always challenging each student to be better, do better. Faculty advisors are at the ready when students need help or guidance. Some classes, dance, voice and techniques are three that come to mind, although I know there are many more, have end of term meetings where progress, strengths and weakness are honestly discussed. A few kids leave each class—some because of money, a very, very few because of grades (faculty notices academic progress and work very hard with these kids, however some in the end cannot handle the work load), I know of two students who left for professional opportunities ( one is Christine in Les Mis on Broadway and another did a year long national tour and returned to school) and others just change majors.

Your daughter will not experience football with tens of thousands of students. She will though attend at least one pirates game. She won’t pledge a sorority, with all the social functions attended to that. However, she will be drawn to the COPA club with runs the one acts, some student productions and social events. They have ‘ball’ at year’s end which everyone attends and has a blast and a spring banquet for all classes. Again, there are other school wide social opportunities available, but I’m having freeze brain right now. During May Shows (freshman CAN audition for these and get paid!) tradional activities for actors and techies include a takedown of Kennywood Amusement Park and potlucks. Pittsburgh with it’s parks and museums, restaurants and cafes, theatre and art galleries and professional sports will be her campus. All in all, a pretty great place to spend four years. Hope this helps.

Great post, @CTownMom‌. I think what you have to say about your junior’s experience is extremely relevant!

CTownMom- That is so incredibly helpful! That is exactly what kind of information I was looking for. Even more than I hoped for. Thank you so very much!

Awesome information @CTownMom‌! Thanks for taking the time to post! My D will be auditioning in March and this sounds like an environment she would love!

This was definitely a great post and I second everything that was said! My D is a freshman Acting major MT minor and this has truly been a life changing year for her. I will add that even though freshman cannot audition for major productions there are a plethora of opportunities to showcase their talent. There are always student directed and written scenes that need actors and actresses, as well as cabaret style of events.