Campus Plan--then, now and future

<p>Good slide show. Many major projects still to come.</p>

<p><a href="https://fpm-www3.fpm.wisc.edu/FPM_Portal/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MPUkMBZEH3o%3d&tabid=59%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://fpm-www3.fpm.wisc.edu/FPM_Portal/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MPUkMBZEH3o%3d&tabid=59&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Lots of those old pictures look exactly the same as it does today, just as it should be. The future Lakeshore renovations look pretty cool too, though I suppose they should remove the Nat slide haha. Concentrating the parking situation looks like it should help a lot too with organization and what not, so here’s hope they get to that soon. </p>

<p>Thanks a lot for sharing barrons.</p>

<p>Thanks, Barrons. Cool to see.</p>

<p>Regarding the Nat, it will still need to be renovated. Hopefully it will become a priority and that appropriate funding sources are found. It’s unacceptable to have student segregated fees increased to pay for physical upgrades. A major fundraising initiative should take place by UW Rec Sports and the UW Foundation if this is viewed as an important and necessary upgrade. </p>

<p>As a current student and soon-to-be alum, I would donate to that initiative. I simply think it set a very bad precedent for future projects to have paying for “Nat UP” come primarily from an increase to student segregated fees. Additionally, the proposal was weak, indicating that “additional, private funding” would be secured to minimize the cost to students. I’ve never really heard of any organization declining money once already received. It would be used and the impetus for securing more money would be lost if they’ve already secured it elsewhere.</p>

<p>The upgrade will still happen, Cryto. It’d be quite the sore spot on campus if it didn’t!</p>

<p>Wish they had dates on the photos. Toboggan slides are a relic of the past in Madison (existed in some parks thru the 1960’s at least)- likely due to liability insurance costs. With increased Lakeshore dorm capacity future Nat upgrades will be more likely to pass. Replacing surface parking with more ramps will free up green space, and be nicer in winter. Also the west end plans are logical in the placement of sports fields and new buildings. The plans have been online on the UW site for several years now. Definitely a dynamic campus in many ways. Each generation has a different campus while retaining the most historic buildings. Current students, especially seniors, can relate to places new freshmen can’t as they no longer exist- you’ll be able to date yourself by which buildings you used that are gone. </p>

<p>A trip down memory lane. In my mother’s day Carson Gulley was a cook, in mine it was a dining hall, now it’s a convenience store/snack bar. The Carillon Tower was surrounded by woods for her, the Business school was across from Social Science for me with Rennebohm’s drug store taking up space on the first floor of a bank building now replaced by the business school. Peterson Office Building, University Square, old Ogg and the old Union South are now history. But we all recognize the same icons in the Bascom Hill area.</p>