Can a quirky kid thrive at UA?

<p>And the entire state didn’t get a day off either.</p>

<p>Bama was supposed to start spring semester early that year (earlier than many other schools), so when the championship opportunity arose, the school realized that too many faculty, students, etc, would be across the country for those days. It’s not an unusual thing for a school to alter its schedule when something is going to cause many students/faculty not be on campus. </p>

<p>Learning from this, Bama now follows a different schedule and spring semester doesn’t start until the following week. </p>

<p>Schools “build in” extra days into their schedules to accommodate unusual situations, bad weather, etc.</p>

<p>niyr is not a student. He’s an adult who probably has spent little to no time at Bama or in the entire state/region. He’s spewing ignorant stereotypes. </p>

<p>It’s irrelevant that the state may have some overweight people or that it has areas of kids not testing well.</p>

<p>the fact is that the PSAT cutoff for the state of Alabama is on par or is even higher than other states that I’m sure that Niyr doesn’t consider “ignorant.”</p>

<p>Alabama 210
Arizona 209
Arkansas 203
Colorado 212
Florida 210
Idaho 208
Indiana 212
Iowa 209
Kansas 211
Kentucky 208
Louisiana 210
Michigan 209
Mississippi 205
Missouri 210
Montana 208
Nebraska 210
Nevada 208
New Mexico 206
North Dakota 202
Ohio 212
Oklahoma 206
Rhode Island 211
South Carolina 208
South Dakota 205
Tennessee 212
Utah 203
Vermont 212
West Virginia 202
Wisconsin 209
Wyoming 202</p>

<p>I work in global finance and we are always looking for talented people to fill out our team.
Every time we bring in (read fly) a candidate from Alabama though extremely personable they come across as woefully underqualified. While their writing skills are usually fairly good, their math, analytical and general world comprehension are not.
Ask about the state and nine times out of ten they mention football. (By the way displaying hatred in an interview is usually does not leave a good impression. Translation - your Alabama-Auburn rivalry has turned into an unhealthy one.) Fishing usually comes in second which is better since it gives the interviewer at little more leeway.
Conclusion - In order to continue to prosper Alabama needs to diversify interests. You hope that the colleges would be leading this charge but unfortunately it seems as though they are the ones holding it back. As with each passing it is getting easier and easier to connect the phrases “football” “gladiator” “Alabama” and “fall of the Roman Empire”.
Alabama for your own good snap out of this malaise!</p>

<p>lol emptying trash cans on wall street does not mean one works in global finance. But whatever helps you sleep better at night. </p>

<p>UA has a very large alumni presence in NYC filled with many who actually do work on Wall Street. UA is consistently ranked in the top 50 public schools and top 100 of all colleges. If it’s graduates were as unprepared as you say then there’s no way this would occur.</p>

<p>While their writing skills are usually fairly good,</p>

<p>*By the way displaying hatred in an interview is usually does not leave a good impression. *</p>

<p>Maybe you should have asked for a tutoring lesson.</p>

<p>^ Oh my gosh, how I miss the food!!! Even the little hole-in-the-wall diners have great food. yummmm, getting hungry just thinking about it, LOL!</p>

<p>Montegut: How big is your car? Was just wondering if you could fill it with beignets and coffee for all of us CC’ers… when we meet in May to move our students out (LOL). I think we will need the coffee…: )</p>

<p>Who’s up for a meet/drink in May?</p>

<p>LOL–yes, AL, we are all quirky, because we are all unique individuals. So, my question was pretty silly.</p>

<p>No, not doing OA or AA. Summer’s going to be crazy enough as it is.</p>

<p>I second the suggestion to meet for coffee and beignets, LOL!</p>

<p>where are the rest of you planning on coming for move out? Never to early to plan a meet-up.
I’ll be there Friday 1pm - Sat.
Anyone up for a Friday evening get-together?</p>

<p>I may take you up on that AL! Still trying to figure out my plan for the day. D1 has an exam until or at 2 on that Friday and D2 has her AP Euro exam till 4. Not sure if we’re going to wait until after AP Euro to hit the road or if DH will hold down the home fort & I’ll just come down for move out.</p>

<p>I thought move in day was Sunday August 21? Booked my hotel room today.</p>

<p>Second LadyDi’s recommendation for the diner food. Our best food in Louisiana is the mom and pop lunch counters. Low price and lots of food!</p>

<p>Those of you who may be close enough, you may see if you can make an appearance on campus sometime in April to begin the pack up/move out. An earlier trip may help to reduce the stress level for parent and student.</p>

<p>Any school where the Mallett Assembly can survive and thrive for 40+ years can offer a place for a “quirky kid.”</p>

<p>I have used this forum often as a resource – never thought I’d join and post until I saw this thread. With regard to the original question about quirky kids, I’ll just add that my hippy chick, tattoed, nose-ring wearing, Bob Marley loving kid will be a freshman at Alabama this fall. She won’t go through rush, but she will race for the triathlon team and hopes to write for the newspaper. She will continue writing her blog about all things related to Atlanta Thrashers hockey (it’s wildly popular – at least in her own opinion – and no she has never actually played hockey although she has been iceskating twice). Quirky might as well be her middle name (or perhaps her first one). Of course she has concerns about fitting in, but college is all about finding an identity and a group of friends who honor it. Based on her experiences in a suburban public high school, it will be a bit more work for a “quirky kid” to find those friends, but a large campus is just the place to do it. </p>

<p>And, by the way, I’m just chosing to ignore the grumpy thread hijacker.</p>

<p>*Any school where the Mallett Assembly can survive and thrive for 40+ years can offer a place for a “quirky kid.” *</p>

<p>Very true!!</p>

<p>And, the same can be said about some of the kids in Blount!</p>

<p>WhitLo – welcome!! Bob Marley totally rocks. Your DD has great taste. :D</p>

<p>Wow, I had never heard of the Mallet Assembly. Looked it up. Very interesting!</p>

<p>[Main</a> Page - The Mallet Assembly](<a href=“http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=Main_Page]Main”>http://www.mallet-assembly.org/index.php?title=Main_Page)</p>

<p>But I think DS will stay in Riverside East. He has connected with his roommates via Facebook, and they all sound wonderful. :slight_smile: (So much for all my drama-queen antics about housing!!)</p>

<p>I think the word “quirky” can have different connotations. Sometimes it can mean kids who are hippie/granola/liberal Reedie types…and sometimes it can mean unique/brainie UChicago types…and sometimes it can mean artsy/musical/performing/film-making types.</p>

<p>Since Bama is a large school with around 40% of its students coming from OOS with various backgrounds and interests, there probably is a group for all types of kids…especially since Bama has a large Arts & Sciences college.</p>

<p>mom2ck – you are so right about the different types. DS is very musical, so I guess he’d be type 3…but he’s not into theater or performing arts at all. Which shows that we all transcend the types, too, I guess. People are hard to pigeonhole! :)</p>

<p>Welcome Whitlo! What’s your D’s major?</p>

<p>Either exercise science or athletic training, since she wants to go into a physical therapy program after Bama. The athletic training program has so many clinical hours that her study abroad options would be limited (and so would her triathlon training!). However, the AT department also mentioned an internship with a pro hockey team, so who knows what she’ll decide!!</p>