Can anyone help me study for the SAT

<p>Like what are some good sites that help me...FOR FREE??</p>

<p>And good books that worked for you and such..</p>

<p>Thanks YALL</p>

<p>There’s an SAT forum that probably gets more traffic than this one:</p>

<p>[SAT</a> Preparation - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/]SAT”>SAT Preparation - College Confidential Forums)</p>

<p>You might be able to get more responses there, and there’s a lot of archived information in that forum, too. Good luck! :)</p>

<p>Get the Collegeboard Bluebook. I don’t remember how much I paid for it last year, but it wasn’t expensive at all, and actually well worth it. </p>

<p>Make sure you have an account on collegeboard.org and sign up for the official SAT question of the day. This is a free service where you get one SAT question emailed to you once a day, and the answer is explained in detail on the Collegeboard website. There are also past SAT questions of the day available on the website that you can solve and keep track of your progress.</p>

<p>Also for free on the Collegeboard website is a full-length practice exam with answers and a breakdown of correct and incorrect answers and your skills on each section and subsection (skills on data analysis in math for example). The website grades it for you, and it is like an actual SAT.</p>

<p>Back to the Bluebook (the only tool that isn’t free), if you register it on the Collegeboard website, it tells you why each multiple-choice answer was wrong or right. This is a free service. There are many practice exams in the Bluebook, as well. You can enter your answers online, if you prefer, and the website will calculate your score instead of you doing it yourself.</p>

<p>At the beginning of the Bluebook, there are chapters of explanations of how the SAT works as well as basic concepts that you may have forgotten. It teaches you all of the math, writing, and reading skills you will need on the SAT as if you are in a classroom as well as how to apply them.</p>

<p>I hope this helps. :slight_smile: As a low-income student who can’t afford private tutors or SAT classes, these resources have been a lifesaver. (I earned a 2070 on the SAT the first time taking it, if you are curious.)</p>

<p>As for vocabulary, a lot of people buy expensive vocab books and memorize hundreds or thousands of words that may or may not be on the SAT. For some people, this works. (You should check CC for free vocab lists if this strategy works for you.) </p>

<p>Other people read books, but unless you’ve been an avid reader your entire life, you can’t just magically become a master at vocab in a few months by reading random books. </p>

<p>What worked for me is studying prefixes and suffixes. This doesn’t work for some people because they freeze on tests and cannot break down words or simply are not efficient enough to do so. Memorizing vocab words does not work for me unless I know the meaning of the parts of the word because what if that word isn’t on the exam? I noticed similar prefixes and suffixes on more difficult words and was able to figure out the meaning.</p>

<p>^ I’m pretty good at memorizing prefixes and suffixes… That works for me when breaking down the word…But I don’t get the putting in words wrong… I get the long passages and short passages wrong. I don’t know if I read into it too much or what. Well I got the blue book and the Princeton practice exams…hopefully that helps me a bit. I’ll buy more books in the future…when I need them. I’m aiming for a 2200 =)…or 2150…or 2100…lol…or maybe 2050…but thats as low as i goo! lol</p>

<p>And advice. Should I retake this SAT2 where I got a 610?</p>

<p>As for the passages, what works for me is “chunking.” If you look at the singular passage sections, you’ll notice the questions are in chronological order based on the lines in the passage, with an exception usually for a question about the entire passage.</p>

<p>Let’s say question one is about the entire passage. Star it so you don’t forget to do it and skip it.</p>

<p>Let’s say question two is about lines 12-15. Read up to lines 12-15 and answer that question. The next question might be about lines 23-24. Read from lines 16-24 and answer the next question. By the time you finish answering the specific line questions, you would have finished reading the entire passage. At this point, go back and answer the question about the entire passage. </p>

<p>The above described method saves a lot more time than reading the entire passage and going back to specific lines and rereading. Also, by answering the questions as you go along, you can further analyze the passage, which may help you with the general question.</p>

<p>Also, by doing a few lines at a time, I find it harder (for me at least) to read into it too much because I’m focused on a few lines. I’m not analyzing the entire passage and then trying to go back and remember the context of a few lines. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, I don’t have very specific advice regarding how not to over-analyze the text. I suggest PMing silverturtle. He has a complete guide to the SAT that he wrote himself, and I’m sure his SAT score is much better than mine, so he probably has sound advice.</p>

<p>I would retake the SAT2 if I got below a 700, but it depends on the subject and your strengths and weaknesses. It also depends on how much time and effort you can dedicate to studying over the summer with the SAT and possible other summer assignments. Keep in mind that not all colleges request SAT2 scores, and if the college you are considering does, you should make sure you are secure with your score with that college. By secure, I mean where you want to lie percentage-wise. Are you satisfied with being the lower 25% and relying on other factors for your college admission? Are you comfortable with being in the middle 50%, in which your scores wouldn’t have a negative or positive impact on you? Do you want to be in the top 25% to have the strongest chances of getting in? Keep in mind, there are many more factors to consider than test scores, and it may not be realistic for everyone to be in the top 25%. As I mentioned before, you have to know your strengths and weaknesses, and you also have to measure how strong your other credentials are. If you have an average GPA, maybe you want to take the SAT2 again to help make up for that a little. If you have a 4.0, then maybe it won’t matter as much. It’ll still matter, but it won’t be weighed as heavily.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Since grammargirl94’s posts answer the majority of your questions, I’ll be brief.</p>

<p>If you’d like to apply to some competitive schools, I would suggest retaking for a 700 or above. However, depending on the percentiles for the exam itself, a 610 might not be that bad of a score. Look at the collegeboard website for more information on what your percentile is. If you scored the 610 in Math II, then I would definitely suggest retaking, since that’s somewhere in the 50th percentile range (if my memory serves me right). For some of the exams with steeper curves, though, that might not be so bad. So, in the end, my advice is this:</p>

<p>If you’re applying to a competitive school with low admission rates, retake regardless.
If you’re not applying to competitive schools, then retake based on the percentile. In my opinion, it would be good to aim for the 85th percentile and above.</p>