Can i afford ua?

<p>Hello I was recently accepted in ua. While I am extremely excited about the acceptance, I am worried about the costs of ua. I am an out of state student from nj.
the total oos cost is around $33,000 correct?
room and board is around 9-10k
Tution is 20-22k</p>

<p>My sat score is a 1560 1030 m and cr.
my gpa is very low. Between 2-2.5 is all ill say.
my financial aid situation is screwy.
ill be screwed out of good financial aid.
But can anyone plz shed some light on any potential scholarships, ot any help on how to pay for ua.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>what other schools are you considering and what are their costs?</p>

<p>how much are you or your parents able to pay per year?</p>

<p>Its sounds like without any scholarships and financial aid, if I chip in a little, I can have my first two years paid.</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Can you clarify? Are you saying that you have a college fund for about $50k so that you have the first 2 years paid if you chip in a little?</p>

<p>Or what?</p>

<p>You can borrow the following amounts:</p>

<p>frosh 5500
soph 6500
jr 7500
sr 7500</p>

<p>If you can earn a few thousand each summer, then you can essentially pay for your meal plan and maybe books out of your earnings.</p>

<p>Your student loan can pay for housing. During your later years, your student loans can pay for more.</p>

<p>You can also work part-time during the school year for “pocket money”.</p>

<p>The COA is padded because it assumes that you’d be in the most expensive housing option. You can choose the $5k standard double dorm and reduce the COA a lot. The COA also includes “personal expenses and transportation”. You can earn your “pocket money” and I’m guessing that your parents will pay for transportation.</p>

<p>What is your situation?</p>

<p>5Yes essentially my college fund is about 50-60k. So I will have my first two years paid.</p>

<p>But hopefully I will get some shcolarships and hopefully some grants and I can cut down the cost some more.</p>

<p>Im just a bit worried, because west virginia university, bowling green state university, and someother may have a price edge which may hold me back from UA.</p>

<p>*5Yes essentially my college fund is about 50-60k. So I will have my first two years paid.</p>

<p>But hopefully I will get some shcolarships and hopefully some grants and I can cut down the cost some more. *</p>

<p>Ok…so you have about $15k per year for your college costs. how much will your parents contribute beyond that? Often parents supplement the college fund money with some money from current income. Are your parents willing to contribute - say $5k or so per year - out of current income?</p>

<p>You’re not going to qualify for grants. Grants are federal aid for low income kids. Unless you’re low income, that won’t apply to you. </p>

<p>Have you run any EFC calculators? A rough estimation is about 25% of income.</p>

<p>You can’t just look at funding for 2 years. That is a bad idea. You have to figure how you’ll fund all 4 years. You may be hoping that you’ll get some kind of scholarship to pay for the last 2 years, but I can nearly guarantee that will NOT happen. Schools do not hand out scholarships to pay for the last 2 years of college. They don’t. </p>

<p>Possible budget for frosh year:</p>

<p>15k from college fund
5 - 8k from parents current income (you’d need to ask about that)
5500 from a student loan (will rise for later years)
2500 from summer earnings
2000 from part-time school year earnings for personal expenses.</p>

<h2>XXXX Parents pay for travel costs</h2>

<p>30,000 - 33,000</p>

<p>If you choose a standard double room, the COA drops by about $3k.</p>

<p>What do you want to study? If you plan to attend graduate school (even if you don’t) you might do well to consider the cheaper options.</p>

<p>i think you probably need to look at some of your less expensive options unless your family’s income will qualify you for financial aid.</p>

<p>I doubt his family will qualify for FA, unless the college fund was funded by relatives. </p>

<p>Typically, people who qualify for Pell grants don’t have college funds…unless there’s been a divorce and custodial parent is low income or the funds come from elsewhere. </p>

<p>The student needs to ask his parents how much they’ll contribute from current income. If they’re not low income, they may not expect the college fund to pay for everything. Often those with college funds know that they have to supplement with current income (rarely do people have 4 years of college saved in a college fund). </p>

<p>That said…the student should NOT look at his college fund as something that will “pay for 2 years.” That’s shortsighted unless the parents have agreed to pay for the last 2 years out of current income. The student does not want to be in a situation where he’s emptied his college fund during sophomore year and then has no money to continue. That would be terrible. </p>

<p>If the student wants, he can save this college fund for his last 2 years and go to a CC for the first 2 years.</p>

<p>Well my parents are divorced, and my dads very low income, but it wont show because my mom fills out fafsa, because that is my more permanent address that the other one.</p>

<p>i was trying to infuse a little reality, but added the financial aid part in case there was something there to consider … just in case.</p>

<p>i think the CC route might be a good option. here you can go to CC for either 1500 or 3000 per year. i don’t know which for sure.</p>

<p>*Well my parents are divorced, and my dads very low income, but it wont show because my mom fills out fafsa, because that is my more permanent address that the other one. *</p>

<p>Ok…</p>

<p>Have you estimated what your mom’s EFC will be? </p>

<p>Unless your mom makes a good income and will contribute for college, it does sound like no OOS school will work for you for all 4 years. </p>

<p>Again, it would be VERY short-sighted to use your college fund for the first 2 years and then have nothing for years 3 and 4 because those years can’t be done at a cheap CC…while your first 2 years can be done at a cheap CC.</p>

<p>You do NOT want a situation where you have no money to pay for those last 2 years and have to leave the school and commute to a local public. Those last two are the most important years. That school will issue your diploma.</p>

<p>And, again, you will not get a scholarship to cover those last 2 years. Scholarships for continuing students are “token awards”…like $500 or $2000. They don’t pay for college. The largest money award that my older son got as a **current **student was a $800 one time award - and that was for being the top math student at Bama.</p>

<p>Ok, yeah well im try to make a game plan for the four years and hopefully get it done.</p>

<p>You can get a private loan from the bank can you not?</p>