Can I decline Questbridge automatically submitting RD applications when I do not match?

It must allow it. Otherwise it seems a bit unfair as the other RD applicants will be doing that (in fact, they are required to send a mid-year school report).

We did not apply through Questbridge, but my D received certain awards that winter and she simply emailed her regional reps directly with the update. She always received some form of “congratulations, we’ve added the information to your file” in return. I don’t see why a QB applicant couldn’t do the same.

I can’t imagine any scenario in which your essay will be MORE compelling against many, many more applicants in the RD round than against the limited numbers of Questbridge applicants.

1 Like

My thought was that within the Questbridge pool, being a student with struggles would mean less as it would be taken as a given. I am probably wrong, however.

There are soooo many kids with struggles, not just Questbridge kids. Believe me, plenty of ordinary students write about their struggles.

Here is a thought… Hopefully your essay is not solely about struggles but is shedding light on who you are as a person. Can I suggest you use this link to get some feedback on your essay? STUDENTS, Need Help w/ Your College Essays? Get Community Feedback Now

Thank you for the advice! When I applied for Questbridge Prep Scholars last spring, I believe I was rejected for having an essay just like that. As my English teacher put it when reviewing it: “it is an amazing essay about your father” (i.e., not me).

I have reworked it to focus on how I worked through my struggles and how they shaped my commitment to my values, which all sounds very facile and vague when described like that, but I do think it is decently compelling.

You are not going to be denied for having struggles. Everyone’s struggle is unique to them. Struggling is never a cliché. Just make sure the essay is focused on you.

I suggest asking someone to review it via the link provided above. You can take or leave the advice, but I think it might be beneficial to have a fresh pair of eyes.

1 Like

Thank you! I will get working on that and find someone to review.

Getting someone who has training and experience reviewing college essays is a good idea. The essay doesn’t have to be about a struggle, but it does have to be about you.

If you live in or near a relatively big city there may be a college access organization where you can receive help on the entire admissions process. Do a google search, an example of these orgs are College Possible, Avid, and College Greenlight, but there are thousands across the country.

Does QB have the resources @ShivomP is looking for?

I would be more worried about your common app essay if it is about “struggles”. It is a difficult topic and often doesn’t come across as the writer intended.

1 Like

Could you elaborate?

When writing about their struggles, the vast majority or applicants, in fact, almost all applicants who choose this theme, tend to write about the things that happened to them. There is nothing there about their talents, skills, or anything that they have to offer any of these low acceptance colleges.

As for the “these struggles made me who I am today”, that’s no better. The admissions people want to know who you are today, and why they should accept you now. They are going to spend a few minutes reading the essay, and you do not want to waste those minutes on your origin story.

Write about things that you like doing, write about something specific that you did, that you experienced. The rule is “show, don’t tell”. Show them who you are, don’t tell them your life’s story.

Your essay is about presenting yourself in the best light as a potential student. Admissions is not a competition to see who had the hardest time. Moreover, the essay themes of “how I suffered and persevered” is extremely common. You lived it, so to you it is extremely important and central to your life. On the other hand, AOs will have read hundreds or thousands of such essays and it will not make you stand out in any way that matters in admissions.

Simply put, admissions people don’t care about your struggles, at least not in their capacity as admissions people. Writing about your struggles may make them sympathize with you personally, but it will not make them want to accept you as a student to the college. The admissions people want to know what you will bring to the college.

7 Likes

Great advice!

THIS!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve tried to channel this advice a bit but I should absolutely review my essay again with this specific goal in mind. I will also go to the forum here for essay feedback recommended earlier.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.