Can I get in and what can I do to increase my chances?

<p>I'm going to be a junior. I have an average Unweighted GPA of like, 3.2, weighted 3.4. I have yet to take the SAT or ACT. I got a 150 on the PSAT last year, but it doesn't mean anything. I'm studying this year for National Merit Scholar stuff. I like the ACT a lot more than the SAT.</p>

<p>I took 2 honors classes, Chem and Spanish 3, last year. I'm supposed to take AP Spanish 4 and I really want to, but I have an awful math teacher (who gave me a C last year) and the only way I can switch to another teacher is by moving into regular Spanish. I really want to take AP Spanish but my mom, teachers, and tutor are all saying I shouldn't.</p>

<p>I go to a really good private school, so that has some weight. I plan on being a 4-year member of my school volleyball and lacrosse teams, as well as in my a Cappella group. I started Model UN last year and plan on doing so until I graduate. I've written 2 articles for my school newspaper. I'm also active in my Jewish youth group and have held board positions. I played club volleyball freshman year. I also want to go on a service trip next summer.</p>

<p>My extracurriculars are fine. It's just the GPA. I have 2 uncles that went to UW-M, but I doubt that counts for anything. I live in Ohio. I want to study molecular biology. I live in Cleveland, so I want to study with someone at Case Western Reserve University or the Cleveland Clinic. I also want to take AP Bio over the summer at Case or at a community college just to get extra credit.</p>

<p>How can I get in and what do you think about the AP Spanish thing?</p>

<p>Also, money isn't an issue, but I know I can't pay my way into college. I've never gotten kicked out of anything or been arrested or convicted. I don't smoke or drink, so I can't see that being an issue.</p>

<p>The teacher did not “give” you the C, that’s the grade you earned through your test scores and homework. You need an attitude adjustment to do well. You need to take ownership of your education. The teachers are there to facilitate it, you use their help and find other help if is isn’t sufficient for you to learn the material.</p>

<p>You don’t “study for” NMS. It comes to a few who test extremely well on the PSAT and then the SAT plus have great grades and recommendations. Concentrate on learning the material, then the grades will come as will your ability to do well on standardized tests.</p>

<p>Your “really good” private school won’t carry any more weight than the many good public schools in Wisconsin. You are expected to take a rigorous schedule and do well in those classes for UW. Your summer trip is for YOU, not to look good on your record. Not everyone can afford such trips- you may help others but you could do that in your own home town. Likewise you do your extracurriculars because they interest you, not to look good on an application.</p>

<p>To be competitive for UW you need to have good study habits and get better grades. You need to learn how to get beyond any teacher- you will find good/bad ones no matter where you are. Follow the advice about which courses to take.</p>

<p>btw- UWM is the school in Milwaukee, the one in Madison is just UW commonly.</p>

<p>GPA and class rigor are important.</p>

<p>It’s a bit early to tell since you have no ACT or SAT score to report but based on your GPA and class rigor so far it will be a reach for admittance to Madison. UW only looks at unweighted GPA. Yours is pretty low, especially considering you only took two honors classes. In the next two years, take the most rigorous schedule you can, keeping in mind you will need to do well enough in those classes to show an upward trend in your GPA. </p>