Can I get in to George Washington university

I really want to go to GWU my grades aren’t great… I’m a little over a 3.0 and my sat is around 1200 I have tons of extra curricular including 2 different varsity sports. I also have good essay. I don’t expect any money with my grades. What are my chances of getting in?

I don’t think you have much of a chance at all, unfortunately.

However, if GW is where you really want to be, I suggest enrolling in either a local community college or the closest state school and putting-in a lot of effort for at least a year. If the 3.0 is just a result of not fully applying yourself then showing improvement and drive in a post-high school setting, and would be necessary to get into a selective university.

Good luck.

I second the above comments. Unless you’re dad is a senator I think you need to cut your losses with regarding to freshman admission to GWU. Consider transferring like @NHuffer said. If your poor high school GPA was due to dumb decisions and not trying, GWU will certainly overlook that with a high college GPA.

Also, consider looking at George Mason. I’m unaware of the specific admission stats, but they’re often thought of as an “easier” GWU, with similar student bodies, strengths, and weaknesses.

@gdubya no offense but GMU doesn’t compare to GWU at all. I know a LOT of individuals with sub-2.8 GPA’s and no extracurriculars that have transferred in from NOVA CC; which practically feeds 60%+ of its students who do not know what they want to do to GMU

In no way should GMU be in the same sentence as GW. It’s like comparing Penn St.(great school) to UPenn

@msport

I am fully aware that GMU isn’t comparable to GW.

The OP is unable to get into GW in all likelihood, so I gave a more realistic school choice.

@gdubya

Ah ok, that being said I agree with gdubya OP. You should consider going to CC and killing it there and then transferring.

@klokolaw @msport @nhuffer George Washington is significantly harder to get into than George Mason and is overall a much higher ranked college. George Washington easily has one of the highest tuition costs in the country, so it certainly attracts highly qualified and motivated students from relatively wealthy families. George Washington has a number of undergraduate and graduate programs that consistently rank high in U.S News & World Report. The George Washington Law School, GWSB (Undergraduate level) and the Elliott School of International Affairs are considered premier schools. George Washington is not an Ivy League University…but it certainly prides itself in being a university that cultivates a large amount of wealth, attracts a variety of students and provides a supererogatory level of education. For this reason George Washington produces a fair amount of undergraduates that earn admission into Ivy league graduate schools. I will add that I personally love being an undergraduate student at the George Washington School of Business.

George Mason, on the other hand, is primarily a commuter college with its campus located in Fairfax, VA. George Mason has a relatively high acceptance rate usually above 70%. George Mason also has a law school and graduate programs. But speaking from experience, I grew up in an area quite close to the university, so I know well about the university. George Mason is not a bad college by any means…especially when you consider some other colleges out there. I will say that I have seen some universities that are arguably comparable to community colleges and are incredibly poorly run and underdeveloped. George Mason has decent job placement and usually is for students who just want to maintain middle to upper-middle class jobs in Northern Virginia. The mentality of the students there is usually not as studious as you would find at George Washington and Georgetown but that doesn’t necessarily make those people any less human. Really, it’s more so that the students over at American, George Washington and Georgetown tend be more intellectually and professionally driven. Perhaps because of that you will encounter some inevitable stigma and snootiness from students at higher ranked universities. But growing up nearby George Mason and partying with people there has truly shown me the beauty of interacting with and keeping a variety of company. Though that’s just me. I personally have a lifelong mentor, a friend of my dad’s, who attended George Mason as an undergraduate and eventually went off to Harvard Business School. Anything is possible. And If you attend this school you will be probably be fine. If you really want to attend George Washington and don’t want to succumb to attending a community college then George Mason is really not a bad place to get you started. My best friend also goes here and I have many fond memories of going to Mason parties my freshman year at NOVA.

@klokolaw I would also like to mention that I am not by any means intending to discourage you from applying to George Washington. I refrain from the whole “chance me” game since I know that even praise and recognition from peers can sometimes actually worsen anxiety and cause one to further dwell and indulge in his or her expectations. Applying to colleges is a very stressful process and sometimes earning admission feels like a whole sorting hat process. I simply mean to provide you with a more realistic and even-handed approach to earning admission into George Washington should you have to attend elsewhere first.

I wouldn’t let the other opinions discourage you…my DN applied ED1 and was accepted C of 2022…HS does NOT report GPA or class rank… went test optional…had 2 leadership positions, an art, a sport, volunteer/community service, and a part time job…full IB diploma candidate…and that was about it…

@klokolaw Hi! I agree with GWYalie1994, but I really wanted to say YOUR STATS ARE AMAZING. I understand that GW is ‘somewhat’ number oriented, but please don’t let these comments discourage you. I respect the fact that you put yourself out there, and I’m disappointed in these accusatory comments. While many where being realistic, in all honesty, they are only opinions. No one can predict the outcomes of these college acceptances/rejections, and I hope you applied!! AND GOOD LUCK!