Can someone explain to me how NSC class scheduling will work?

<p>Right now I am signed up for the July 3rd NSC. I understad that during NSC our class schedules, housing, tuition, meal plans, etc. will be finalized. I was wondering, though, how class scheduling will work if AP scores do not arrive by then. My plan is to place out of calc 1, english, and gen chem. I believe ap scores don't arrive till mid july. Im thinking about changing my NSC date to August 9th due to this issue but I am not sure. Can someone explain?</p>

<p>We’ve been wondering the same thing…hope someone can explain.</p>

<p>I don’t know if it will be the same or not, but at D2’s orientation at another school, the schedule wasn’t’t “final”. She could change it later if she wanted. It might be that the advisor will tell you under what conditions you would/could change it.</p>

<p>I didn’t think about the AP scores not being in. Not sure if D will be affected or not. English would be her area.</p>

<p>It may depend on your advisor. But my son had not received his scores when he went to NSC. He was confident that he had the scores to place out of calculus and his sciences and his advisor allowed him to choose his schedule based on his assumptions.</p>

<p>So do you guys think its better to change the date and not worry about any issues or is there a benefit for choosing an earlier NSC date?</p>

<p>Fullmetal,
I would call the advising office for your specific major and ask…I think that is what my S did. But this has to be a common issue and they must make accommodations for the early registrants (early times).</p>

<p><a href=“FAQs – New Student Conferences”>FAQs – New Student Conferences;

<p>My son had a June NSC a few years ago, and AP scores were definitely not out yet. He was instructed to register for the classes that he wanted to take, and assume that he got the AP scores he thought he would get. Well, he DID get the scores he expected. So, he eventually accepted AP credit (it’s something you actually have to DO; it’s not automatic) and went seamlessly into his registered classes.</p>

<p>One of his friends thought her AP scores might be lower in a particular subject, so she was afraid to sign up for the higher level corresponding course at TAMU. She signed up for the entry level TAMU course instead. Well, her AP scores came in, and she actually got a 5 on the AP. So, she just waited until the next open enrollment period and simply switched from her entry level course to a higher level course.</p>

<p>The system worked for both students.</p>

<p>@FullMetalx, re: post #6, I would keep the NSC date that you already have. This is no biggie. You probably have a pretty good idea of how you did on the AP exams. Just sign up for the courses that you think are the best fit for where you are right now, academically. When your AP scores come in, if you already signed up for the right courses, just talk to an advisor and accept AP credits for those courses that you need as prerequisites. If you signed up for the wrong courses (didn’t do as well on your APs as you thought), then simply change your courses during open enrollment. </p>

<p>I don’t know if it’s true anymore, but it used to be that the earlier NSC’s had more class openings. They DID start holding classes aside for the later NSC’s, just so they wouldn’t have that problem anymore. But I’m not sure how things work nowadays.</p>

<p>Of course, it never hurts to call an advisor and ask this question right now, in case things have changed. But I’m pretty sure they’ve stayed the same. ;)</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Keep your date, and sign up, keeping what you think you got on the ap exams on in mind.</p>