Can someone give me some insight on what laptop I should get?

<p>I've been researching what laptop I need to buy for when I transfer to VT as an engineering major (going for ChE specifically). I'm currently at a VCCS community college and have already taken the two intro engineering classes (intro and design or whatever), which most people tell me is the class that requires the tablet. </p>

<p>I'll start off by saying that I'm absolutely not paying $1700+ for an underpowered combo laptop/tablet hybrid, I'd rather use either an external USB or have a separate tablet. However, I do really like the idea of being able to take hand-written notes on the tablet portion. I'll list what I've found, then I'd like some other recommendations. </p>

<p>Options #1: Dell is currently running an offer where if you spend $1000 on a laptop you can buy a Dell Latitude 10 tablet (which is listed as a minimal accepted tablet on VT's site) for an additional $300. The laptop I was thinking of using for this deal is right at $1000 (but my Dad gets a discount on Dell, so it'd be $800 and still qualify as $1000), and is a Insperon 17R with 8GB RAM, a 3rd gen core i7, 17 inch screen, and a 2GB GPU (which I like it not being integrated), TB HD. Total would be roughly $1100. </p>

<p>Option #2: Sony Vaio Duo (11.5 in) or Surface Pro (10 in) (w/ keyboard) to be used as a hybrid. The Vaio Duo slides from laptop to tablet and has 6GB RAM, a core i5, 128 GB storage, and an integrated GPU; the Surface Pro is pretty identical, but only has 4GB RAM and has a detachable keyboard. Both of these support an active digitizer (like Wacom/N-trig), but I've never used a tablet to take notes, so I don't know how big of a difference active digitizers make. Both options would be a little over $1100. </p>

<p>Option #3: An Lenovo Yoga (13 in) with 8GB RAM, core i5, 128 GB storage, integrated GPU, and would be $1200. No active digitizer. </p>

<p>Pros and cons of #1:
+ Awesome laptop, which blows the others out of the water specs-wise
+ I'd still have an active digitizer-capable device in the Latitude
+ If something were to happen to either device, I'd have the other as a back-up while the other is being repaired.
+ Surprisingly cheap for what's included
- I'd have to carry both devices (I'm in fairly good shape and pretty muscular, so I'm not concerned about fatigue, more so the hassle)
- I'd have to take notes on the tablet and send them to my laptop </p>

<p>Pros and Cons of #2:
+ One machine, capable of switching back and forth between laptop and tablet
+ active digitizer
+ light weight
- I'd be paying $1100+ for a laptop with similar specs to the Studio 17 I bought in 2009 for $800.
- Storage space is awfully small</p>

<p>Pros and Cons of #3:
+ One machine
+ light
+ spec-wise, it's better than Option 2 (2 more GB RAM, 2 inch bigger screen)
-Storage space is small
-no active digitizer </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>“I’ll start off by saying that I’m absolutely not paying $1700+ for an underpowered combo laptop/tablet hybrid, I’d rather use either an external USB or have a separate tablet.”</p>

<p>Almost word for word what DS#1 said last year. He’s a CS major and chose a 15inch laptop with good specs + a Wacom tablet with digitalizer pen. It worked for him but I’m sure some people would have issues. Also, the CS students are known for scoffing at the convertible tablet requirement.</p>

<p>Option 1: as a former road warrior I strongly discourage anyone from hauling around a 17 inch laptop. It sounds okay at first but month after month you start to ask yourself why, why? A better option is a smaller laptop and keep a large screen in your room.</p>

<p>Option 2: the pen that comes with the Surface Pro is very different from the digitalizer pen. It’s basically a point touch device as far as I can tell. Are you sure that you can draw with it or get add-on capability?</p>

<p>Option 3: it’s a really cool product but you won’t really get to take advantage of the flip screen the same way as with a convertible tablet, i.e., you can’t write directly on it. You would still need to add a Wacom tablet since you will need to be able to write on documents.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply, and if you don’t mind my asking, what method did you use? If you used the convertible, did you think it was worth it, or do you think a cheaper route would be better suited for someone who won’t have the money for the VT recommended ones? </p>

<p>As far as the weight is concerned, I’m planning to use PDF/e-book text books when I go to VT (unfortunately my CC is in the stone age and none of my professors allow laptops to be open in class), so actually the laptop + tablet would weigh less than what I currently carry every day (17" laptop + 4 text books + 2 binders). </p>

<p>As far as the Surface Pro, I believe it does support Wacom technology, I know the Surface RT doesn’t, but I’m pretty sure the Pro does. I’m going to go try it out at Best Buy in a couple of days to see how I like it, so I guess I should be able to verify before I consider buying. At the moment, I like the Sony Vaio better than the Surface anyway since it has a bigger screen and more RAM. </p>

<p>My biggest worry with option #1 is that I don’t know how good the Latitude is. I’m hoping BB will have one on display, but if Dell is knocking $300 off of it to sell me I’m worried that it’s a crappy tablet. If I had it and the laptop, I’d probably just use it to take notes and nothing else. My current plan would be to take notes and upload them to a google drive and then transfer that to the laptop. </p>

<p>Honestly, I’d rather have a nice combo device, but I can’t find one for less than $1500 and IMO the $1100 route saves a lot of money and gives me quality devices, but it just lacks the ease of flipping to a convertible. I doubt I qualify for any FAFSA Pell grant money at VT (I don’t qualify for Un-subsidized loans at CC) and I’ve already got about $10K in CC loans, so I’m trying to avoid extra loans.</p>

<p>You are correct that the Surface Pro supports wacom technology: [AnandTech</a> | Microsoft Surface Pro Review](<a href=“http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695/microsoft-surface-pro-review/4]AnandTech”>The Surface Pen - Microsoft Surface Pro Review)</p>

<p>My son did not purchase the convertible tablet last year because he thought the specs were low relative to the price. He chose a 15inch laptop i7 + usb wacom tablet. He had his own desktop and really didn’t need additional computing power in the laptop. I asked him for a more detailed review but he hasn’t responded yet. Son #2 is going to go the convertible route (probably the i5 Lenovo as the cheapest option).</p>

<p>I don’t know if ebooks/PDF are available for all textbooks that you’ll need. </p>

<p>A Dell Latitude should be perfectly capable (with i5 or i7 + 8GB memory and sufficient hardrive). The only issue you have with this laptop or similar is the necessity to draw onto the screen. Son #1 made it through freshman year with just the Wacom usb tablet.</p>

<p>I went to Best Buy hoping to be able to try out some devices, but since Best Buy sucks they naturally only had the Surface Pro and Dell XPS 12 available to test (of devices that would matter to me, anyway). I didn’t get to use a stylus with either, but I really liked the XPS 12 before realizing it doesn’t have Wacom support, but I figured I’d try it while I was there, and I really didn’t have a problem with writing on it’s screen, despite not being an active digitizer, and I’m not a huge fan of the Surface Pro’s detachable keyboard. </p>

<p>Could you possibly tell me what uses the combo device is required for in the engineering classes? You mentioned that non-active digitizer tablets don’t write directly on the screen, but is that something that is an inconvenience, or would I be unable to do a typical assignment with a non-active digitizer screen like the XPS?</p>