Can you please chance me?

Hi I’m an OOS and I’m applying for the Public Health (Child Development 2nd choice) major at CP SLO. My UW GPA is a 3.62 and my SAT score is a 1450 (770 M + 680 RW). What do you think my chances are and how is the public health program at slo?

I’ve taken 12 semesters of math (Alg 1 to Calc BC)
8 semesters of English (AP lit and lang)
8 semesters of history (APUSH, AP PSY, AP Gov)
16 semesters of science
6 semesters of Spanish
4 semesters of visual art
total of 9 AP’s, 20+ hrs of extracurriculars, and 6 hours of work

thank you ! I feel like my GPA is going to kill me but oh well. How about SDSU?

SLO GPA using 9-11th grades for the a-g courses and a cap of up to 8 semesters of honors points for AP classes taken 10-11th grades. Use the Rogerhub calculator and input your 9-11th grades. Capped weighted UC GPA= SLO GPA.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Can you afford around $40K/year with no financial aid as an OOS student?

SDSU uses only 10-11th grades with the same calculation to get your CSU capped weighted GPA.

so it’s not worth the money for an OOS for a major other than engineering? (SLO only gives out $2000 for OOS, right?) I like SLO for it’s class sizes, hands on learning, and location but if Public Health isn’t a good program I probably won’t end up going there. :frowning:

Public Health is a new major so little data/information is available since 2018 was the first Freshman class enrolled.

Overall SLO is a very good school but spending around $160K for 4 years of Undergrad and then possibly graduate school if you plan to pursue a career in Public Health is pretty pricey. If costs are not an issue for you and your family, then by all means apply.

yeah I mean it doesn’t hurt to apply lol. my state school is honestly very good but it also has large class sizes which is a downside. thanks for your help gumbymom! do you have any kids at cp slo?

@Gumbymom oh and do you have any info on SDSU’s nursing or bio acceptance?

Do you want to be a nurse? Are you from a WICHE state eligible for WUE? If so, Southern Oregon University is in a cute little town, has smaller classes, and has a very good nursing program that is an outer campus of OHSU in Portland. It would be a good value and not super competitive to get in.

Biology at SDSU is one of most applied and competitive majors. No data for this years Freshman class but the acceptance rate hovers around 30%. What is your CSU capped weighted GPA?

SDSU admits by Eligibility index so depending upon your CSU GPA, you can competitive. https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/.

CSU GPA capped weighted = UC capped weighted. As an OOS APPLICANT only AP or IB classes taken 10-11th count for the extra honors points

EI= (CSU GPA x800) + (SAT+EBRW).
Target EI is 4300+ for Biology

For Nursing, the program is very competitive since it is direct admit. An minimum EI of around 4550 can be competitive. If you are not admitted as a Freshman, you cannot change into Nursing as a current student. No 2018 stats but here is some information from previous years.

https://nursing.sdsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Freshman-Admission-Statistics.pdf

Since California Nursing programs are so highly competitive, why come here when you could get into a good program in your home state and then come to California to work?

SDSU does not consider alternate majors.

yeah true, California schools are way too expensive. I think the Cal states are cheaper than the UC’s but still a lot of money. I think I might apply to SDSU for their bio bc I have a 4554 with just the sat score added (idk if I’m supposed to add the 680 again). I’m also applying to Gonzaga and UP for nursing, they’re privates but they give out a lot of money in scholarships. @eyemgh I’m still deciding b/w nursing + pre-med. for cp slo I picked public health which is something I’m interested in but idk much about the program plus SLO had two hospitals nearby