Can't apply as freshman OR transfer?

@paurtokie You mentioned you wanted to go into Computer Engineering, but…do you want to design computers or write software or both? If your goal is to JUST write software, there are other schools (UT is one I think) that offer computer software (computer science) degrees outside of the engineering dept (ie you may not need all the calculus, chemistry, physics that engineering requires and more of the classes you have taken may transfer). Best wishes in your journey!

I like programming, but not the kind that CS focuses on. I’m more into hardware and embedded programming.

@MYOS1634 I finally understood what you meant by the required classes. I didn’t think I’d be able to take the math classes here, but apparently Calculus at my school is equivalent to Engineering Math. It’s going to take me like 3 semesters due to all the pre-reqs and it’s like I’m starting from nothing all over again, but I’m still determined to do it.

You can do it!
Just make sure every class you take transfers.

@paurtokie you can definitely do it! My daughter worked 30 hours and took Calc2 and Chem2 in less than 6 weeks last summer (she originally was just going to take Chem2 but found out that Calc2 was a required course for transferring into her major so she piled that on). Not easy but it can be done!

I have a question concerning this topic as well. I graduated High School in Spring of 2018 with 18 hours of dual credit and I am now taking 2 online courses that equal 6 credits. All of these classes transfer as hours for A&M (I already checked multiple times and even called admissions). In total that equals 24 hours which is enough to transfer based on their website, but I’m worried about applying for admission for Fall 2019. I have read some places that I must have 12 hours of college credit after graduating high school. This doesn’t make sense to me and I was never informed by admissions in the multiple times I have talked to them. Could someone clear this up? I’m very stressed as I can’t take any more classes this semester if that is the case.

@sh2022
Because you have taken a college course after high school graduation, you will be considered a transfer applicant to any college/university you want to attend, besides the one you are enrolled at, going forward.

Every university/college may have different criteria for transfer students, so what Texas A&M requires of transfer students may not be the same as what Texas Tech or Texas State requires for transfer students.

What colleges/universities don’t want to see is a bunch of random classes/hours that do not transfer to satisfy the Core Curriculum that the state of Texas requires (which every college student in TX must satisfy by either taking the course while in college, by AP Credit or by Dual Credit) or satisfy the transfer course requirements.
The number of credit hours isn’t really the ticket to being accepted as a transfer student nor that the classes necessarily transfer BUT to have transferable credit hours that satisfy required courses on a degree plan. For instance, in some majors College Algebra is a transferable course but will not satisfy the Mathematics requirements in a particular degree plan, such as Urban and Regional Planning.

What classes are your DC and what classes are your online courses?
Do you have any idea to what major you want to apply to and have you looked at the transfer course sheet of what classes you need to complete in order to apply to the major you desire?

At A&M, transfer applicants must apply to a specific major within an academic college. Applicants are admitted by the major not by an admissions officer like an incoming freshman.

Every major within a college can have different criteria for transfer and it behooves you to study the A&M Transfer Course Sheet of your desired major and become familiar with what you need to do to be a competitive transfer applicant. Each transfer course sheet is explicit in its requirements. https://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors

Edit to add:
I looked back at previous posts and see you applied as biology as class 2022. I have you listed on the stats I kept but you never reported an admission decision. Were you offered PSA?

You mention you were taking several AP classes in previous post and now you state dual credit. These are two different types of credit so can be used differently for satisfying requirements. Which do you have?

If Biology is still your intended major, the college of science says the following:
College of Science
(979) 845-7362 | science.tamu.edu

*Strength of schedule is a factor in determining admission.
*Applicants will not be admitted without completing the first two semesters of courses in their declared major with B’s or better and a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
*Chemistry and Physics majors must also complete 8 hours of Calculus I and II with a B or better. *Biology students must complete 8 hours of Chemistry I and II with a B or better and Calculus I and II with a C or better.
*Mathematics and Statistic students must complete 8 hours of science courses with B’s or better.
*Second-choice majors are considered.

Here is the Transfer Course Sheet for Biology
https://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/SCI18-Biology.pdf

The dual credit I have is College Algebra, Precalculus, Federal Government, Texas Government, Psychology, and Economics. I do know that my College Algebra & Precalculus hours are TRNS, but will still count towards the 24 hours needed. I also made a 4 on my English Lit and Composition AP test so that’s 6 hours of credit (it doesn’t count towards the 24). I am taking US History 1 and Developmental Psychology right now as online courses. I was offered PSA in the spring, but I declined the offer. I am actually not a Biology major any more and I am planning to apply as an Anthropology major and should have a 3.75 GPA with 24 credits. Anthropology requires ENGL 1302 which I have with AP credit. I am worried about the statement on the transfer sheet that reads, " Transfer applicants should have completed a full semester (spring or fall) course load of 12 transferable hours (minimum) after graduating from high school." I don’t know if I am reading this wrong.
Edit: It does not mention this 12 hour thing on requirements for transfer it only mentions it on the specific major sheets.

@sh2022 I do not think you are meeting the requirements for anthropology based on the fact you’re taking 6 hours online. Also, it mentions the 24 credits must be completed by summer 2 session for spring admittance.

@sh2022
Here is the course transfer sheet for a BS in anthropology and the required coursework that must be complete by the application deadline to be considered a competitive applicant. Fall coursework will not be considered for spring applicants.

If you want to attend A&M in any major, please follow a transfer course sheet to make sure you satisfy the requirements for admission to that major.

Here is where they can all be found. http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/majors

@AggieMomhelp The only requirement for Anthropology is Composition and Rhetoric which I have with AP credit, so I’m not worried about that. I am applying for Fall 2019 admittance not for spring. I will have 24 hours of credit at the end of this semester to apply for fall as I’m taking 6 hours but also already have 18. I checked with an admissions counselor and I am all good there. The issue might be that I may need to take 12 hours in 1 semester in order to be admitted.

@Thelma2 I am following the transfer course sheet and I will be a Fall 2019 applicant. The issue I encountered was having to take 12 hours in 1 semester. This was never made clear on the transfer requirements or in the multiple times I’ve talked to counselors. I am calling the College of Anthropology directly in the morning to sort all of this out and left a voicemail previously. If it turns out I have to take 12 hours in 1 semester after high school hopefully they will put my application on hold and wait until my spring hours come in. I will post on here what I figure out. Thank you for the help.

@sh2022 sorry I totally thought you had applied for Spring admissions. And honestly I have not heard until now about taking 12 hours in a semester. I understand it, but had never heard of it til I read the anthro requirements yesterday.

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp I talked to the liberal arts department and I will be able to transfer. I will just be on some sort of hold until they see I have 12 hours completed from that semester. They said it seemed I had a strong application with both my GPA and hours so I am wishing for the best! Thank you for all your help.