Carnegie Mellon CMU Waitlist 2027

Emailed Carnegie about when we can expect to hear back, got this:

“We appreciate your patience at this time.

Any students admitted from the Waiting List were notified by May 13. If you have not yet received any notification regarding a change in your status, the university was unable to offer you admission for the Fall 2023 academic year.

Thank you for your interest. We wish you success in your future endeavors.
Please feel free to reach out to our office if you need further assistance. ”

I don’t quite understand what “Any students admitted from the Waiting List were notified by May 13” means. Does this mean we don’t have any chances anymore? :smiling_face_with_tear:

I think they meant to say “will be notified by May 13”

I don’t know how credible this information is that you heard from the Admission office.

We have multiple things going on here.

We have May 3 to May 5 timeline. We have May 9 timeline. We also have May 12 timeline, and now May 13.

I bet the person who responded simply cut and pasted from the last year’s response. Last year May 13 was Friday. This year it is May 12 and May 13 is Saturday.

When the Admission office hears from each college, they will start contacting students. It just started yesterday. We should see more movements today.

3 Likes

Thanks. That makes sense.

I think someone sent an email to the Admission office asking what was going on last year after May 13. The office sent what was copied as the response.

I speculate we have people asking the same question to the Admission office now but the office does not have the answer yet so they copied the last year’s email albeit the email was completely out of place and does not make sense for us.

In the past, school took a little bit more time to process WL when they had to take off more kids than expected. I really hope this is the case this year.

Alternatively, they may have significantly more students on the WL so it takes more time for them to process.

Regardless, we should see more movements starting today.

1 Like

i heard tepper and dietrich let some people in yesterday off the waitlist. kind of losing hope now :frowning:

SCS started sending notifications yesterday. So far only eng/MCS made no movements

1 Like

Did they have priority waitlist last year?

engineering also let someone in yesterday

Any more info on engineering? Thanks.

I think engineering/SCS/MCS are most competitive colleges, so less people will get off from the wl. Rarely heard of relevant info

Yes. And in the years prior.

SCS CS major is the most competitive.

Where did you hear this from

1 Like

I read getting off WL is a kind of rolling admission. What does that mean? Does that mean everyday school contacts so many kids until they get all they need? Or, do they contact everyone whom they believe they need at once and then based on how many are coming they extend offers to others who are next in line?

It seems MCS sent zero updates this week :exploding_head:

I think the Admission office started sending out emails Thursday so it has been only two days so far. I believe more emails to come out early next week.

Having said that, last year, there were 43 admits from the WL, but no one got off from CoE and MCS. I hope we can see something different this year.

What’s the source of this?

School’s common data set shows 43 admits from WL last year. In the last year’s CC CMU waitlist topic, you will see screenshots of conversations with the Admission office. The office clearly said they did not expect to pull any kids off the WL for MCS and CoE, even DC possibly.

Last year’ CMU yield was the highest in school history. I hope this year they have a lower yield and pull more kids off the WL.

1 Like

I’ve seen 4 students get off the waitlist so far. All of them received email 3 days ago (May 4th). I know one of them applied for business, one learns cs, and a girl learns theatre, but I heard nothing about Dietrich college. Annoying.

Does anyone get any new information about Dietrich college? (Maybe admission office will not start their work until Monday and we just wait…)

1 Like