Carnegie Mellon Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Carnegie Mellon University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

2 Likes

I am wondering if ED is right for me. I want to study mechanical engineering. CMU has always been my dream school.

SAT: 1540 (780 Math, 760 English)
Weighted GPA: 5.4
Almost all grades 100 or 99%
Class rank: either 1 or 2 (school stopped sharing class rank with us this past year but can still share it with colleges)
8 APs from freshman to junior year - all 5’s including Physics C: Mechanics and Calc BC
Taking 3 AP’s senior year and Multivariable Calc through dual enrollment with Johns Hopkins online

Extracurriculars: FRC robotics team captain, Pennsylvania Governors School for the Sciences, Math club founder and president, Dignity and Respect Committee member, Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science, jazz band piano soloist, school musical pit band, student council representative, school ambassador, school service group member

Work Experience: Part-time food prep and dishwasher at a restaurant

Awards: National Merit Scholar semifinalist, several departmental awards through school, Society of Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh essay contest 2nd place winner, National Chemistry Olympiad national exam nominee, 24th in PA Math League, 1st place at states for PJAS

I am concerned that ED might not be right for me. My calc 3 class this year is through a program I am not very familiar with. I am not sure I would be able to keep an A in that class for the year. This would not show on the transcript I send in for ED, but it would at the end of the year. I worry that if I got a C or B in that class I might have my offer from CMU rescinded and I would not have anything else lined up. Do you know if CMU would likely rescind ED admission over a subpar grade or two? The commitment to cancel all other options with a slight risk of rescindment scares me. If CMU did EA, I would probably do that instead.

Additionally, I got a guaranteed admission offer to Pitt’s 5-year engineering master’s program, so I don’t want to throw that out immediately. Do you have any advice?

==> Applicants should submit official transcripts from all secondary schools attended https://www.cmu.edu/admission/admission/undergraduate-admission-requirements

Question: If dual enrollment courses taken at local community colleges while at high school, do we also need to send transcripts during the application based on the wordings above? Thanks.

If you’re considering Pitt(or any other school) and want to weigh your options, you should not apply ED anywhere.

1 Like