CAS Competitiveness? Chance me! GW 2023

So, I’m a senior (despite my username) who has applied RD to GW. I was wondering if anyone has any insight to the College of Arts and Sciences and its difficulty in regards to the other colleges at GW? I’m going for an Astronomy/Physics major. My SAT is a 1270 (i submitted scores) and my weighted GPA is a 3.7, unweighted is a 3.2 (pretty bad i know). I had a 4.2 until junior year bc the grades were awful, but I did curve upwards for 1st quarter and semester senior year. I explain in my additional information the reasoning behind it pretty well, and my counselor put it in her recommendation too. I’m an IB Diploma candidate and I’ve taken/taking 14 IB classes (every single class is IB). My supplemental, personal essay, and additional info i heard from almost everyone i asked to edit is “really good” but writing is subjective so … As for extracurriculars, I have a LOT. I think that’s really the strong point in my application, along with plenty of awards. My activities revolve around music, art, and science for the most part. My recs I have no idea how good they are besides one (she showed it to me voluntarily- it was REALLY good) and basically she is the head at the NASM Smithonsian which I volunteered at for 127 hours over the summer. Some of my main extra curriculars are video editing that i’ve been doing for 4 and a half years, taught myself adobe after effects. I’ve also been playing the violin for over a decade, and I started my own Astronomy Club. For some more context ig, I did get into Stony Brook University and Penn State. Thanks!!

Well, that GPA certainly isn’t going to help you. By any chance, did you happen to struggle with math and/or science classes? If so, no matter how many EC’s you’ve got, I think GW is going to be a reach for you.

I think that if your math/science grades are solid then you might be a “weak match.” On one hand, the physics program at GW isn’t very large (I’m actually a graduate of it), but it’s not easy, either. It’s very math-intensive, and more than a few physics classes are a challenge if you’re not a “natural” in physics. On the other hand, GW might be struggling to fill seats in the program and could be more lenient on applications.

Good luck, and keep us posted either way.

I did, I struggled a lot in junior year, but my math and science grades are a lot higher this year. Everything before junior year was an A in math & science. I’m also thinking maybe they might accept me since i’m a girl interested in physics?