CC: actual student perspective needed

<p>hey im an international student going into premed. so yar I got a pres. scholarship to CC. Was always a top choice but now given that it'll cost considerably less I have a few questions (any input from alumni/current students of CC would be appreciated) :</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Would I be an idiot not to take a presidential scholarship from CC?</p></li>
<li><p>I know academics are top notch, but how is the social scene like at CC? how are the peps there? do they work hard and/or play hard? intellectually stimulating yet can throw a good party every now and then?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>how about the springs? heard some less than favourable stories about the area</p>

<p>also, is CC a wise choice for premed? how does the block plan help/hinder one when taking science courses?</p>

<p>thnx</p>

<p>I rarely see actual students posting here. Apparently they are either working too hard, having too much fun, or couldn’t care less about proselytizing for CC. Maybe all three. So please accept a few comments from a parent for now.</p>

<p>First, you’re not necessarily an idiot for not taking the presidential scholarship. How much is it for? My S got one of those. It helped, but it did not make CC much cheaper than other schools that accepted him.</p>

<p>As for the social scene, from what little my kid shares with us I’d say it’s a work hard, play hard kinda place. He and his friends like road trips all around Colorado & neighboring states, and winter sports at some of the major ski areas. He has mentioned theme parties (where partiers apparently dress up for the occasion in ironic costume – ask about this, maybe it was a one-off thing.) Atmosphere is both athletic/sporty and intellectual. He says the hockey games are really exciting. They draw crowds not only from CC but from the surrounding community too.</p>

<p>Now about premed.
Do you know about CC’s unusual human cadaver dissection lab?<br>
([Colorado</a> College | Bulletin](<a href=“http://coloradocollege.edu/Bulletin/March2005/healing.asp]Colorado”>http://coloradocollege.edu/Bulletin/March2005/healing.asp))</p>

<p>CC has a relatively high percentage of science concentrators compared to some other LACs. Geology seems to be one of the strongest LAC geo departments in the country. Physics (according to my S) is not so strong. Life sciences sound very good but it’s hard for me to tell for sure.</p>

<p>The block plan is great for at least two things:<br>

1. scheduling field work and special projects (you can go off to the mountains for days to research alpine botany or bighorn sheep mating practices - whatever - and not worry about conflicts with other classes)
  2. intense labs and discussions that aren’t bound by the clock (since one classroom is devoted to one class, 24/7, for the duration of the block).</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Those stories probably have to do with the many conservative/Christian organizations headquartered in and around Colorado Springs. That community and the CC community pretty much ignore each other, as far as I can tell. In my opinion, CC has one of the best locations of any LAC in America. Great climate, nice city, pleasant neighborhood within walking distance of shops/restaurants, gorgeous views of Pikes Peak, and world class outdoor recreation in the adjacent Rockies.</p>

<p>thanks for the input :slight_smile: helped clear a few things up</p>

<p>Wow, tk, that was a great summary. I would love for my daughter to go there. We visited the Fountain Valley School when she was in the 8th grade. Kids were wearing SUNDRESSES and flip flops on MLK day. She is away on Spring break and she will consider her options when she gets back. What a great opportunity.</p>

<p><em>a CC student emerges from the shadows</em></p>

<p>Hey, Boxmanthing. I can speak to what it’s like to study sciences at CC. I’m a science major as are many of my friends.</p>

<p>Studying sciences on the Block Plan is challenging and rewarding. I know someone who left CC because it was too difficult for her. Having said that, it’s completely AWESOME and exciting. I’m currently in a biology course, and I have class every morning (Monday - Friday) from nine to noon before returning after an hour break to lab, which lasts for at least a few hours. On the Block Plan, science classes can also have field trips–many of my geo friends have been on week-long trips to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. Professors know that their course is the only course you’re taking, and aren’t shy about giving students large quantities of work and demanding most of your time. So I would say that the Block Plan actually helps with its intensity, but it’s not for everyone, as evidenced by my friend who left. Some science classes are easier than others, but some are renowned for being incredibly difficult (for one, you likely won’t get a chance to see your friends outside of lunch and dinner). </p>

<p>Overall, when only taking one course, you have the chance to dig in and devote yourself to it for three and a half weeks, which is something you don’t have the chance of doing at other colleges.</p>

<p>right yeah thanks Owlehn :slight_smile: thats the type of description i was looking for</p>

<p>now how about the social life there after studying?
(pm me if necessary/need qs)</p>

<p>thanks,</p>

<p>I’m curious about the social scene here too. My son is a junior right now, but CC is his #1 choice and I’m not sure about the fit yet.</p>