Chance a student with a great (not Ivy great but still great) GPA strange ECs [Lehigh, Brown, and UCSB in particular] [CA resident, 3.7 GPA (3.8/4.0/4.7 for UC), <$30k; pure math + physics, economics, bioinformatics, or philosophy]

I think you are fake or have a lot to learn in life. You missed this which is spot on.

Or the supplemental essays - that would be a great time to talk about love of math and various math research ambitions that you would pursue at X university.

4 Likes

Alright, Sorry for misinterpreting then, and I will keep in mind what you have stated for community service. Iā€™m not entirely certain what Iā€™m going to do for that section just yet but I got time to decide. Most likely itā€™ll be math tutoring as that is what my application leans heavily towards but as I said I donā€™t know just yet.

@blossom, thank you for your advice. Iā€™m still not entirely certain if I want to be submitting things to literary journals or getting a job once again. Plus, as Iā€™ve never published any work before I highly doubt there will be any literary journals of note that I can post to as of right now.

Iā€™m not uncomfortable with the idea of working in general, itā€™s just that the sheer amount of time that Iā€™m going to have to put into it is not exactly the greatest of things. The last time I had a job I had a mental breakdown because I had too many things on my plate and even then the only things I had were student council, model UN, drama, and my job. Granted stresses of that year and how my friends were behaving at that time definitely didnā€™t help it. I just do not want to go through that once again and I donā€™t really want to select money over my passions as a teenager lol. I feel as if I get a job Iā€™d only be stifling my ability to pursue the things I actually want to while I still have the time to do so at an incredibly cheap price.

I however did not know about the Federal Work-Study program, Iā€™ll keep that in mind after I start going to university.

@circutrider, While work being extremely boring is a problem, itā€™s not by itself going to be the biggest thing that stops me. The biggest things that stop me is that I just donā€™t think I have the time for it. Iā€™m already in school from 7-5 on weekdays and spending about 8 hours per weekend doing other things. Spending an additional 18 hours on the weekends is just not going to give me room to breathe you know? Like I still have parents I want to be around and parties to go to. All thisā€™ll do is make it next to impossible for me to have any breathing room and still do other things.

@tsbna44, maybe it is from my experiences but I donā€™t really feel as if I developed or showed anything from my work lol. Iā€™ve seen employees cuss out customers and use slurs against them and still not get fired so I highly doubt that me working at a place shows much of anything. Nowadays, most places that are willing to hire high school students are willing to hire high school students for a reason. That also means that theyā€™re extremely desperate and are willing to put up with anything as long as they retain employees. I hope you can understand why I feel super apprehensive about the application benefits of getting a job (and this was also assuming that the only reason why I do any of my ECs is because I want to get a better college app. As stated before I already spend way too much time doing basic school work and some of my ECs, I really cannot imagine spending any more time on the weekends just to make a quick buck, especially as right now I donā€™t even have the time to spend the money I make lol)

How do you expect to succeed in college, then? Thatā€™s a serious question.

By the way, journals donā€™t have hard submission deadlines. They might for a specific issue, but unless the journal is about to fold, there will always be another issue. Journals published online sometimes have rolling deadlines. You would have to find a journal that takes work written by young writers. A published short story in such an outlet would be worlds better than having a novel in progress or gathering dust because you donā€™t feel like publishing it (or planed but not written, as appears to be the case).

Youā€™ve gotten the same advice from people who know more than you do, for three long threads. I think itā€™s time to revisit and actually take some of this advice before you start a fourth thread.

5 Likes

You can get a summer job, like many many other students. You have courses listed in the summers. Why is that? Most high school students do not take courses in the summer.

1 Like

Working with hard deadlines for creative things*

Sorry I didnā€™t specify that. I actually prefer having hard deadlines for non-creative pursuits , but as soon as you give me something to draw or ask me to write a story youā€™re going to have to give me a lot of time to do so because not only do I spend an extremely large amount of time planning what Iā€™m going to do, when I do actually do the thing itā€™s extremely draining lol.

Iā€™ll keep that in mind though

As for the advice. Most of the advice has usually just been ā€œthings donā€™t work out the way you think they doā€ which is more of a statement than advice. From the first thread I donā€™t think I really received any advice. The 2nd thread helped me find a bunch of universities I was interested in and this thread the piece of advice Iā€™m currently getting is ā€œdrop something youā€™re very clearly interested in in exchange for a jobā€ which is like what??? The advice I constantly get from this website is negative which is useful a lot of the times (itā€™s what also convinced me to drop my record label in the end) but at some point thereā€™s only so many things you can suggest to negate and if theyā€™re things that Iā€™m extremely interested in and passionate about Iā€™m just going to be steadfast and not listen to it. Iā€™m sorry but I am still a child at heart, I have things I want to do and I will do them, even if they are harmful because not only do they complete a better picture about me they are also things that I find to be much more valuable.

@thumper1 I forgot summer jobs existed lol. Iā€™ll probably take a summer job although I donā€™t feel itā€™s particularly worth putting a summer job on the list of ECs but having that extra money saved up for a rainy day is useful.

As for the summer classes: The DE summer classes Iā€™m taking because theyā€™re free and give me college credit. I see no reason why I should spend an extra 1700 dollars for a class at some institution in the future when I could instead just spend 0$ over the summer. Plus, I think the money I save from taking summer classes is going to be more than the money Iā€™d make from a summer job lol.

There is one more course Iā€™m taking over the summer, although this is one I can take through cyberhigh so Iā€™m not worried about it. Itā€™s a basic health class because my school refuses to recognize my old schoolā€™s health class (I think itā€™s because my old schoolā€™s curriculum didnā€™t teach about sex ed and drug effects until the 2nd year). I would rather take this class through dual enrollment but my school says that there are no dual enrollment classes that count as a health credit (which is strange because apparently you can receive paramedic training and know how to resuscitate someone back to life but you still donā€™t get the health credit lol).

Other than that though the DE classes I mostly took because theyā€™re free or they met phys ed credits (old school only did 1 semester of PE per year so I was missing a semester)

Yes it is. Working is a great thing to have done.

Are you in any group sports?

Might I remind members of the forum rules: ā€œOur forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

The OP gets a slight pass since his prefrontal cortex is still developing. Some of the responding adults donā€™t have that excuse.

That said, the adults are generally very experienced and are trying to help, so the OP should strive to appear less dismissive of the advice.

Umm, no. Youā€™ve gotten excellent advice for how to shape your portfolio, focus your efforts, and work toward achievable goals. Itā€™s your choice whether or not to take it, but the advice youā€™ve gotten on your threads has been almost universally wise and realistic, from people who have a lot more experience than you do ā€“ in college admissions and life in general. So stay off CC for a little while while you actually take some of this advice.

3 Likes

I am not and Iā€™m not particularly interested in joining any for now. Maybe in college Iā€™ll join intramural basketball but other than that I really donā€™t have any intentions of joining any sports teams at my school. Thatā€™s way too big of a time commitment for me (even though I really do enjoy basketball!).

@Shelby_Balik, Iā€™m not certain, maybe itā€™s just my poor memory kicking in but I never really received much advice out of ā€œapply to easier schoolsā€ and ā€œbe comfortable with your safetiesā€ which is one of the biggest whoopty doos in the world. And maybe ā€œdonā€™t apply ED1 to Brownā€ which I would accept if I actually was interested in some school more than Lehigh. Sadly though for now really the only one I am is Brown, Oxford, and the German Unis and you canā€™t really apply ED for Oxford or Germany now can you lol. Other than that (and the jobs) not really much advice is given besides negative advice that deals with removing things which I donā€™t really feel comfortable about. What I do for my hobbies and interests are what I do and I feel as if it creates a more accurate image of who I am as a person and my current limitations and allows me to show that the reason why I want to go to university in general is to improve my knowledge and finish what Iā€™ve begun lol.

In this thread alone, there is more valuable, varied, and concrete advice than this. Please read what people have written ā€“ theyā€™ve taken the time to give you some really good suggestions, and neglecting to go back into this thread alone (not to mention others) to revisit that advice is kind of a slap in the face to those who took your questions seriously.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve given you advice for Brown. I interviewed for them for years, so itā€™s the only college on your list I feel comfortable describing what a winning applicant looks like.

A coherent narrative.

Whether you are a poet, cellist, Morris dancer, Civil War Re-enactor, standup comic, passionate stamp collector, clown/unicyclist-- all of these students paint a coherent picture/narrative of who they are and what they would bring to the university.

Strong academic performance in rigorous courses (and ā€œplain vanillaā€ HS classes are just fine. They donā€™t need to be community college or DE). Teachers who love to teach them because they are insanely curious and love to learn for the sake of learning. Evidence of mastery in one or more areas of interest (so not "Took fencing classes junior year and wished I could do more but I had too much schoolwork). So becoming an Eagle Scout (a plain vanilla HS activity if there ever was one) is much better than 10 random community service projects which racks up hours; working at the same dull, boring, minimum wage job for three summers in a row and being named ā€œemployee of the monthā€ five times is better than working at a frozen yogurt store for three weeks and then quitting because the manager put you on afternoon shifts and you needed time to see your friends in the afternoons.

Etc. Youā€™ve written books? Then writing the coherent narrative of who you are should be a snap. Itā€™s not just the essay (thatā€™s the cliffnotes version). Its the classes you chose, the activities youā€™ve been in, your family commitments, the contributions you make to your community.

The hard thing is that because Brown has the ā€œhippy/Bohoā€ reputation, students who lack focus, have a laundry list of ā€œI intend to do XYZā€ think itā€™s the right place for them. The Open Curriculum works best for students who are open to learning-- all kinds of learning- but are actually terrific at finishing what they start. And the Adcomā€™s get a lot of experience sifting through huge lists of awards and activities and hobbies and leadership positions and figuring out which kids love to start stuff but hate deadlines and finishing; which kids are creative thinkers but lack the discipline to tie their creativity to something tangible; etc.

You are only a junior. You have time to focus on the things that really matter to you, where you can show a tangible resultā€¦ and can drop the fancy sounding things that are just not realistic right now.

Zero adcomā€™s at Brown expect a HS kid to have done ā€œpublished researchā€. And itā€™s fine to noodle on problems even if you donā€™t have enough formal education to be able to start to solve those problems. But the answer is-- just finish strong in HS. Ace calculus and statistics if you are interested in math. Make sure that each and every lab report you submit for bio or physics is your best possible work. This is how actual researchers work- step by step, inch by inch, mastering the skills they will need down the road.

My helpful advice. Take it or leave it.

13 Likes

I interviewed for Brown, too, on and off for about twenty years (theyā€™ve stopped doing interviews and now just offer applicants the chance to do an optional video). During that time, I talked to many thoughtful and accomplished students with stellar GPAs, who were involved in demanding activities that took years of dedication, and they could tell their stories in coherent, engaging, and personal ways ā€“ and almost none of them got in. And during much of that time, Brown had at least double the acceptance rate that it has today.

Everything @blossom advised about getting into Brown was spot-on. They are looking for records of accomplishment (extraordinary accomplishments, perhaps, but records that are achievable for a seventeen-year-old), not unfinished plans.

7 Likes

McDonalds or other ā€œregularā€ jobs show that a teen can follow directions, work as a team, budget their time (balance studying around work), and be a part of serving the community. It is a great EC, and frankly is much better than starting a research project on your own that you admit is scientifically beyond your background. The research that is helpful on an application is one that involves working with a mentor in the field of study, such as a phD &/or graduate students in the area they want to learn more about. Sometimes these research positions involve cleaning lab supplies and other ā€œgrunt workā€, same as the more boring parts of undergrad research opportunities. Being able to be at the ā€œbottomā€ of a research group, show humility, and learn from others above you overlaps a lot with what one can learn in the food industry. DH and I both worked in the food industry in HS and college and we both did research as undergraduates which involved the grunt work. The research was more intellectually stimulating but what we learned as food servers gave us very important interpersonal skills and respect for other humans. I interview for a school similar in selectivity to Brown. So do many colleagues of mine. Trust me when I say that a job in food service is an excellent thing to have to talk about, and says far more about your ability to handle college than your specific plan for exploring research ideas but not actually being involved in a mentored, group, or lab research project.

6 Likes

In other words, youā€™ll ā€œpublishā€ itā€¦ never, at least based on your current track record.

Iā€™m just seeing a litany of excuses for why you canā€™t do things that could actually help your EC list.

Youā€™re young enough to ā€œknow everything,ā€ as the saying goes, and you disagree with the advice you get, so itā€™s really unclear why you are here.

3 Likes

You want to get into Brown and youā€™re arguing with someone who has actual experience interviewing for Brown.

Youā€™ve somehow locked yourself into this mythology that Brown is populated by underappreciated unicorns who are on the cusp of uncharted scientific breakthroughs, who just squeaked by with grades at the median level, had less than spectacular SATs and generally lacked any kind of group activity on their resumes.

Look. Contrary to what you may have heard about Brown, they are not looking for lazy people; they are not looking for people who constantly need to prove they are the smartest people in the room. And, Brown people definitely know how to meet hard deadlines. For you, those are just the inconvenient facts.

Everything about you raises red flags and you have to be extra careful how you address them. Getting an ordinary summer job would be the quickest way to dispel the impression that you are a dilletante with possible emotional problems; and youā€™re going to have to be as discriminate and careful as possible in writing your essay.

Right now, youā€™re an easy reject (which FWIW, is down from my previous decision of ā€œdeferralā€.)

7 Likes

If you were to consider refining your list, this site, which offers suggestions related to your potential ED choice, may be of interest:

The University of Rochester, for example, might suit you.

Iā€™ll take this advice as best as possible, but I really would rather not drop anything until I at least try it. Either way, I am going to have to get some first hand experience with research, the first book EC I have is related to what different branches of mathematics looks like at the higher level and as a result I need to spend a bunch of time getting exposure to those higher level branches and knowing what people do at those higher levels. In fact, one of the major factors that pushed me to decide to start researching ways to decrease the size of big datas through modern algebra was the fact that I already needed to start reading some amount of modern algebra textbooks to begin with.

I donā€™t paint any pictures right now mostly because I havenā€™t tried to for this post, but pretty much every EC I do is like that. EC 1 is the biggest one that ā€œbirthsā€ most of my other ECs, 2 was created because I needed to learn various proofs for me to explain in 1 and when I realized that if I was going to explain proofs why not make videos about it is when I started that channel, 8 will most likely relate back to 1 once I decide what Iā€™m going to do for my project (probably tutoring so I can get more experience teaching people maths for the book), 9 relates to 1 as Iā€™ve stated, and 10 relates to 1 as the experience I learned from making and developing 10 goes towards me explaining possible uses for things in EC 1. All of this just paints the narrative of a person who really likes math and wants to show people what he sees in math.

In reality, I actually only have 3 ECs if we were to remove all ā€œbranchā€ ECs that come as a result of ECs. The book, the streaming, and MUN (even then this technically feeds into the streaming and the book for the teaching reason and because I need to be an entertainer while being a chair).

I really am thankful for your advice and you did make me realize that I perhaps didnā€™t draw the connections between my ECs enough which I think I will start to do so in my applications. This has sort of always been how I work, I just sort of take opportunities whenever I can get them even if they might be a bit harmful for me since if they are I can always drop it and salvage whatever wasnā€™t harmful (example: the record label I had to shed but I managed to salvage me going back to rap and me making clothes).

And if youā€™re curious, this is probably one of the biggest reasons why I refuse to drop my research just yet. If itā€™s going to fail I want it to crash and burn so I can salvage whatever comes out of it, but I really cannot salvage nothing.

And I am taking like steps and stuff. I believe Iā€™ve mentioned but Iā€™m not really ā€œrushingā€ into anything, Iā€™m actually going at a pretty normal pace. Iā€™m starting off with reading textbooks on what I want and then I plan on further defining my problem and topic of research so that it makes sense for most people. Then from there Iā€™ll see where Iā€™ll go. I think one of the biggest problems thatā€™s not being communicated is one of my assumptions: I assumed that people thought I would be trying to get people to help me with my research. Iā€™m guessing this assumption was not translated because that is what I am planning on doing. Once I have the very basics of the paper down and I have a conjecture I plan on contacting as many people as possible to help me with it.

So as youā€™ve given me this advice before and many people have: I am taking my time. I am running, but the thing Iā€™m not running for a spring Iā€™m running for a marathon. All of my ECs are like this, the book Iā€™ve spent a large portion of my time world building for and actually Iā€™m soon going to start outlining the plot in greater detail which means by December I can probably start writing my first manuscript. But this book has had work being done on it since January. The same goes for pretty much everything else Iā€™m doing, besides the app, fashion, and research, everything Iā€™ve been doing on the lowkey building up and realizing for over time.

@2Devils, I guess? But isnā€™t this what high school is for? Like if an AO were to value a job I donā€™t think thisā€™d be the reason why as this is what high school primarily does. I donā€™t know Iā€™m very skeptical that putting down a job Iā€™m doing. Plus, I think my regular high school schedule shows that, Iā€™m taking a ā€œclassā€ called ā€œoffice practiceā€ which is me working in my school as an attendance clerk. I didnā€™t bring this up mostly because this ā€œworkā€ is pretty slow and for the past few days has effectively just been a study hall with a grade at the end of the week. I will keep in mind the research thing and Iā€™m applying for various programs that allow for mentors to help (although Iā€™m fairly confident I wonā€™t get in as all the free ones are suuuuper competitive and the non-free ones are too expensive).

@merc81 Iā€™ve looked at lists similar to this and Iā€™ve also said so in this thread: I have no idea what actually is attractive about Brown. Thereā€™s a quality there that makes me think if I donā€™t apply Iā€™ll regret it. I have no idea what that quality is though. I can definitely say itā€™s not the culture, nor is it the prestige, nor is it the open classes or anything else that I can list off the top of my mind. Just something there was attractive.

My closest guess is maybe College Hill? That was the part of Brown I was most exposed to growing up so Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s the reason. What about College Hill is special I donā€™t know.

Iā€™m really thankful for all these lists but until I can actually give a reason why I like Brown so much I would rather you guys spend your time elsewhere because itā€™s just going to be frustrating for all of us. If youā€™re curious, Lehigh has the feeling about it as well but there are actually a lot more logical reasons behind it (Lehigh teaches Arabic in the dialect that my family speaks, they have really math classes, their campus is beautiful, although other than that I donā€™t really know much about the culture but Iā€™ve yet to see anyone complain about that).

So I think whatever university I find that has the quality I donā€™t know about will probably end up replacing my ED1 if I think Iā€™d prefer it over Brown. But until I figure out that quality Iā€™m not really willing to replace Brown. Sorry.

Oh yeah I also forgot so hereā€™s a quick edit: High Point for whatever reason has this quality. So I guess find the intersection between High Point, Lehigh, and Brown and I guess thatā€™d be the quality I find attractive. I donā€™t know about you, I canā€™t really figure out whatā€™s similar about these 3 schools lol

Here are my concrete suggestions. Make sure you get the best possible grades this year ā€” if at all possible, donā€™t get any Bs. Work very hard in all classes - even the ones you donā€™t enjoy. Your gpa isnā€™t competitive so you need to show a strong upward trajectory. This is especially true for the UCs since they only look at grades 10/11. Have some concrete accomplishments to put down for your ECs. A list of ideas & hobbies wonā€™t cut it. Some of your interests could, however, make for really interesting college essays. Prepare well for the SAT or ACT aiming to get a very high score. If necessary take it again. In the meantime, try and identify what attracts you to Brown, High Point and Lehigh so you can research other schools with those characteristics. I suggest you investigate High Pointā€™s math curriculum to make sure there is sufficient advanced coursework available to keep you interested and challenged. Finally, get some kind of paid work and start saving. Your college budget is modest and many schools donā€™t meet full need so you will probably have to contribute.

9 Likes

This is unclear. Youā€™ve already written the book? Or you still need to do more research so you know what else you are putting in the book?

What type of book is this anyway? instructional? You described it as an ā€œencyclopediaā€. What does that mean exactly? Have you just taken material from other sources or have you done your own synthesis and writing?

Who is the target audience? Have you tested it with that audience? Has anybody else read it or provided editing advice? What is the feedback?

1 Like