CHance me at ivies PLEASE :) African American Male

<p>African American Male </p>

<p>700M 700W and 680 CR -> 2080 total
( I took SAT II CHEM and SAT II US, no score yet)</p>

<p>Now this is a doosey: My school is an Early College High school, which means no AP's. We only have full, 3 Credit college classes at the college we are affiliated with. Right now, i have a 4.0 college GPA, and about 30 Credits right now ( thats about 10 classes give or take.) I dont know if this will help or hurt. </p>

<p>I am member of National junior honor society and National Honor Society at the end of this year.
I have #1 in rank
I created an annual literary journal for my high school, in which i am the editor of as well
I used to work in the School Newspaper, as writer and editor
I am a Working in Support of Education Financial Scholar (WISE) I got a perfect score on the exam. </p>

<p>I was a member of a music group called the World Ensemble, we played foreign instruments. I am talented with playing the Odeika drum, from Japan.</p>

<p>I have a black belt in karate, and i did it for 6 years before i had to quit it.</p>

<p>180+ volunteer hours at a well-known hospital and more hours at school for tutoring, some for church.</p>

<p>HARVARD, PRINCETON, YALE?
Cornell University?</p>

<p>you have a pretty straight shot for a lot of places i guess, by what you have presented here. </p>

<p>apply to stanford.
i’m just sayin’ …</p>

<p>^Oh, you shameless promoter. :)</p>

<p>OP, you have decent - note that I did not say great - standardized test scores. Your extracurriculars are not particularly remarkable, nor do they show a great degree of initiative, with the exception of the literary magazine. While you have maintained a 4.0 GPA, you have not taken advantage of the self-study option for Advanced Placement exams. Simply because you have completed several college courses does not mean that you have worked at a much higher level, to be honest. Your interest in Japanese culture does to some degree set you apart from the pool of applicants, as does your musical talent. Your volunteering does show your involvement in your community. All in all, you’re not a surefire applicant for these places - and no one is - but it’s well worth the effort to apply. Make sure to convey to the applications committee who you are and your desire to translate your visions for a better future into reality. Because in the end, I think that’s what they look for: young men and women with strong personalities, high ambitions, the ability to make their dreams into a reality, and a little bit of moxie. Even then, that’s not usually enough, since some “deserving” applicants (and I prefer not to use that term, but it will suffice for my purposes) get rejected, but bear in mind that they are building a class. Present yourself in such a way that they will know you have plenty to offer. </p>

<p>Good luck! Hope to hear good news from you sometime next spring. </p>

<p>And are you planning on applying to Yale EA?</p>

<p>Wassup homie!</p>

<p>I think that I can give you some sound advice:</p>

<p>First of all, your SAT scores are very solid. Simply from looking at your SAT score, I’d say that you have a very good shot at Cornell. If you want a better shot at getting into Harvard, Princeton or Yale, I’d aim for a 2150 (that what I eventually scored). However, when I first submitted my application, I had a 2080. If you can improve, make sure to send in your new scores (that’s what I did). As for the AP thing…my advice would be NOT to worry about it AT ALL. I only took 3 AP courses before senior year. AP US, AP Comp Sci, and AP Psychology…not very difficult AP’s at all. I only took the tests for two of them. I think that AP’s can help you if you score 4’s and 5’s, but the fact that you are taking college level courses that are not AP’s sets you apart. You go to a very similar school to mine. My school is considered an elite school in the nation and mosts students do not take an absurd amount of AP’s. We do however, take a lot of college level courses offered at our school. I think that your EC’s are actually pretty good and unique. My advice would be to capitalize on your passions and show how important they are to you throughout your application. Also, ace the subject tests and improve your SAT score to at least 2150 (for safe measure). You’ve got a great shot! Keep working hard! Apply to other schools than just those hahaha. Competition is getting tougher every year. </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Yeah, like others have said before, if you’ve only taken the SAT once or twice maybe try taking it again to see if you can get into the 2100+ or maybe even 2200+ range (just to solidify your scores). </p>

<p>And don’t worry about APs. Top colleges have repeatedly stated that they won’t punish you for things your school doesn’t have. Personally I don’t like the whole AP system - or anything to do with collegeboard for that matter - (I do IB :slight_smile: ) so maybe it could just be bias but as long as you take the most challenging courses, you will be fine. </p>

<p>ECs are pretty nice - well rounded. Although you only have a few, try to show your dedication or passion for them in your essays or something. Dedication in a few is better than shallow participation in a lot.</p>

<p>But as we know, Ivies are a crapshoot so I can’t give a definite answer but just keep working hard and you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>you really aren’t competitive for those schools with those SAT scores. You need a good 100-200 point bump.</p>

<p>In response to ksarmand, I was planning on doing Yale SCEA, and since it is summer i have been really seating down and compiling a list of my ECs, Awards, and other things </p>

<p>How could i forget that i went down to New Orleans a year after Katrina to help with the cleanup effort for a week?? -_- </p>

<p>My school claims that they were contacted by Collegeboard to verify that my contact info was correct, so im guessing im in NA somehow.</p>

<p>Should I bother?</p>

<p>Ivy, schmivy! Apply to Amherst :)</p>

<p>Please consider applying to wider array of colleges. HYP is awesome, but not everything. Anyway… scores are very important, but not everything. I have friends going to Stanford and UPenn with scores under 2050, but I also have a friend who got a 2200 and got rejected from most of the 20 schools he applied to (except Dartmouth). If you want to be a serious competitor you need 2150+, since you’re ECs are not as amazing as your competitors and you don’t seem to have familial connections, I’d suggest aiming high like 2250+ (750 in each section would be great). Consider taking the ACT. Do well on your SAT2s.</p>

<p>Think about what you’re passionate about and market yourself with you’re passions in mind. Essays are EXTREMELY important. </p>

<p>Ultimately, you shouldn’t freak out so much about this lol. You have good grades and decent scores, ergo you’ll get into a good school.</p>

<p>hhaahha well Dartmouth is a pretty good school …</p>